PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ride height for air bags

Chopt49
02-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Setting up ride height for air bags:

This may have been asked before yet I searched and found nothing. I maybe sounding like a newbie (well because I am).

With the body off, rear axle out out and the frame cleaned, I am getting ready to fabricate the tri-bar4 link, air bag mounts and additional framing to allow the car to rest near the ground once parked and air removed.

Question I have:
Do I set up the rear axle at "ride height" or "laid out" when building the 4 link arms and connection points.

I have seen guys set up a "dummy" rod in place of air bag to set ride height. Is this the approach I should also take?

I know I will set pinion angle once all the fab work is done, just want to know what the "pros" do when they are at this stage.

Thanks guys...

~~ Cheers ~~

Travis B
02-15-2006, 09:52 AM
actaully you will want to get the frame at desired height and pinion angle set then tack the rear diff in place(I usually use a scrap piece of tubing so the rear doesn't move side to side or the pinion doesn't move up and down) then weld your brackets on. The bags are designed to ride at a certain height and you will be much happier if set it up that way instead of layed out.

Matt@RFR
02-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Just to be sure you're clear, you need to set up the suspension at the ride height you will be at when actually driving the car.

Suspension geometry doesn't matter if the car isn't moving.

Like Travis said, dummy shocks are allways a good idea, and so is actually tacking the rear end at ride height/pinion angle. You can just set the rear end on a set of jackstands, but if somebody bumps it, you get to start over.

Chopt49
02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks Travis and Matt...

I shall go in that direction. (mock at ride height and tack it in pace - good sound advise)

I will post pictures as construction gets underway.

~~ Cheers ~~

darren@ridetech
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes, always set everything up for ride height. But if you have a specific stance you are looking for when deflated you need to make sure the air spring is capable of that amount of travel. Typically you will be able to deflate the vehicle approximately 3" from ride height.

Are you using Shockwaves or CoolRide.

Big $$$
02-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Also set up yer alignment for the height you'll run on the street for better tire wear...