PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank coating?

redss86
02-15-2006, 08:18 AM
I was just wandering what kind of options I have as far as a coating on the inside of my gas tank? I had to cut off one corner and plate it. I did a mini tub and the stock tank wouldn't clear the kicked in frame rail. The tank has either a tin or galvanized coating on the inside. The piece I welded in to the tank is just bare sheet metal. I have heard of plastic like coating that can be put in there but that is rather expensive. I think POR has a liquid that you can put in there and slosh it around to coat it, but don't know how well this actually works.

I am looking to everybodies opinions and experiences w/ something like this.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

P.S. I can post pics, as soon as I figure out how, if that will help.

vanzuuk1
02-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Joe I posted a while back with this same issue, i have a steel m/c tank that needs to be rustprofed. I never got a real answer. I can tell you not to use kreem brand sealer.

Todds69
02-15-2006, 02:37 PM
I had my tank fixed for leaks and then it was coated inside and out. Kind of reminds me of a smooth Rhino lining but alot thinner. Can't recall on the name or cost, but I know a new repo tank wasn't too much more after it was all said and done.

Todds69
02-15-2006, 02:41 PM
I found it. I paid $130 back in '95, here's a link.
http://www.gastankrenu.com/

vanzuuk1
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks, that be what I need. I have a custom tank on my gsxr and would love to stop it from rusting.

Lowend
02-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Por15 makes a gas tank kit. I know a few guys who used it and have been VERY happy with the results.
Lets see if this link works
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/COMPLETEKITS/FUELTANKREPAIRKIT/tabid/106/Default.aspx

vanzuuk1
02-16-2006, 03:57 AM
I used the por 15 kit and my tank rusted through after two years. My friend did it for me after he welded my tank, he may not have done it correctly. The tank also has baffles so its easy to miss a section.

redss86
02-16-2006, 05:10 AM
thanks for the input. i will check around my area to see what my options are. i know there is a shop not to far away that i think can put some kind of liquid inthe tank that turns into a plastic coating when it dries. keep up w/ the opinions, i am still looking for ideas/ options.
thanks
joe