PDA

View Full Version : FAB 9inch

RobM
02-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I知 thinking about building a fabricated ford 9 inch housing for a project in school, i have a few questions though as I知 deciding if this project is worth it. How strong are these things compared to a braced factory housing? are the housing manufactured by other companies TIG welded? should i ad allot of bracing or is it not needed? I think this would be a cool project i plan to build it from mild steel and TIG the whole thing together.

Lowend
02-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm about to make your life simple
http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear1.htm
ta da

RobM
02-14-2006, 07:47 PM
that is a nice peice but im building this for a school project not just to use on my car. I can build it for about 150 DOLLARS MAX by the way. its just alot of work and i need to know if its worth it

Lowend
02-15-2006, 09:58 PM
The ring and pinion is gonna cost you more than that by itself
If you are really working on that tight of a budget I would suggest a junkyard 8.5" 10-bolt with a fluid change.
Not trying to sound condesending, the 8.5" is actually a pretty tough rearend. They cam in 71-81 F-bodies. If you search hard enough you can find one with a factory 3.73 ratio and posi.

RobM
02-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I don稚 think any one is understanding. that痴 not my budget that痴 how much its going to cost for me to build the housing. I already have a built 8.5 inch in the car im just doing this as a school project and had a few questions about it. I already started the housing and am going to incorporate it into a custom rear suspension in my camaro

79T/Aman
02-19-2006, 07:35 AM
tell me how are you doing this for 150 bux the ends and the perches are going to cost more than that.

andrewb70
02-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I have nothing constructive to say, but I thought you might like a little insipartion. The pictures below are of a Tex Racing fabricated 9 inch housing. They are used extensively in NASCAR and other racing sanctioning bodies where 9 inch rears are mandated. The housing in the pictures was not prepped in any way. It was pulled from the shelf, wiped down with window cleaner and photographed.

Andrew

RobM
02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I知 not installing the ends I知 talking just the HOUSING. i know you all doubt but you shall see. guess ill have to prove my self. you are right the bearing ends alone are about 150$ or more. even though i could cut the ends off a junk yard housing and weld them on as the 9 inch is made from mild steel, If i wanted i could get some stock ends for free but im going with an aftermarket pieces. I can build the housing how ever for allot less than purchasing one from somebody else. This is kind of what I知 building........
http://www.competitionengineering.com/catalog/images/c9200rv_part.jpg

B Schein
02-21-2006, 07:07 PM
We usually pay around $80 a pair for housing ends from mosier

The used NASCAR housing that we use are just mig welded. Some of the fabricated housing I have seen are tig welded also the axle tubs should be dom tubing which is fairly expensive in the size needed. Good luck with your build.

RobM
02-21-2006, 07:30 PM
i get a discount through wyotech on steel. I may MIG weld it and metal finish, or I'll TIG and leave it natural. I know if i metal finish the MIG welds it will relieve the stress risers. Im using DOM tub for the axle housings and cold rolled steel for the flat stock.

79T/Aman
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
now I see how you come up with that price but you did fail to tell us the whole story up front because in my book a housing includes the bearing ends minimum.