PDA

View Full Version : T-67 or T76 single turbo?

protour_chevelle
10-02-2004, 08:23 PM
What are your thoughts?

I've been told to go with a t-67 by ones that use them and told by guys that use t-76's to use one.

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks guys!

-Matt

camcojb
10-02-2004, 08:26 PM
What engine and HP goals?

Jody

protour_chevelle
10-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Its going to be an 04 6.0l. It will have a turbo specific cam, larger injectors, wideband, and the razzle dazzle tuning software. Once money allows the motor will be either a)rebuilt or b)sold and have a 408 or something built.

Horsepower goals...Well I know a guy thats running just under 500RWHP without a 75shot and the engine is taking it just fine. Only mods are what I have listed. So really I'd like to see 450-500RWHP for now. I dont want to have to sell a turbo, buy a new one type deal when funds allow.

-Matt

TurboLark
10-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Its going to be an 04 6.0l. It will have a turbo specific cam, larger injectors, wideband, and the razzle dazzle tuning software. Once money allows the motor will be either a)rebuilt or b)sold and have a 408 or something built.

Horsepower goals...Well I know a guy thats running just under 500RWHP without a 75shot and the engine is taking it just fine. Only mods are what I have listed. So really I'd like to see 450-500RWHP for now. I dont want to have to sell a turbo, buy a new one type deal when funds allow.

-Matt
I'd say use the 67 for those goals. But best ting to do is call a turbo company, like Innovative or Precision Turbo, and get their recommendations. They are the experts, I doubt anyone here has remotely close to the experience they have at matching turbos.

protour_chevelle
10-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Hmm, I'll have to give someone a call. It sounds weird but I also want the turbo to be as loud as possible? I think I'd get sick of a supercharger constantly rattling/whining but turbos sound wicked to me. The t-76 Sounds like a jet plane on a 6.0l. I'm sure you guys have seen the blue Silverado with the 6.0l swap and t-76? Thats the guy I'm talking about. Before anyone says something he ran 10psi(upwards of 12 now) with a 75shot on the stock engine with the mods that I listed previous, but has a 408 being built for him now.

I'll find a link to one of his videos where his truck sounds like an airplane.

-Matt

protour_chevelle
10-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Heres that link

Watch at about the 2 minute mark. He'll be doing a burnout.
http://www.neufamily.org/street5.30.04.wmv

-Matt

LS1NOVA
10-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I was considering the same thing lately. What would you use for headers? I was thinking that just buying the turbo, then fabbing all the plumbing and headers/exhaust, i could save a lot of money. since they are no kits for retrofits anyway. keep us updated on any new info on this.

protour_chevelle
10-03-2004, 12:21 PM
I actually toyed with the idea of making my own headers and plumbing but then I'm now starting to toy with taking to a well known shop and getting them to build it. I can get a one off kit with turbo for 5grand US. Complete with intercooler, plumbing, but not tuning(so I believe). Combination Motorsports has built 2 kits for a 6.0l in Chev trucks. Theres a place in Vancouver that builds some wicked turbo kits. http://www.lr-racing.com/main.htm All their welds are tig so its super clean. Now I was also toying with that rear mount turbo? Lots of solid hp#'s are rolling out from STS.

If I wanted to make my own headers and plumbing I'd be doing it at school in fab. It would be hard pulling my car in there, tacking, cut, tack, cut. Get it right. I'm going to call up CMotorsports and see what they have to say. Banks has a twin turbo kit for Chevelles so maybe looking at those headers could give a company an idea. Just mount the turbo on one bank then run a crossover pipe to it?

-Matt

protour_chevelle
10-03-2004, 12:22 PM
I also forgot. Fabbing your own headers and plumbing for a FI engine would be a bit more difficult. I guess mounting all the sensors wouldn't be if you just looked at where they place them on turbo kits for the same engine;)

-Matt

KendallF
10-04-2004, 06:48 AM

-Matt

76..at least! A 67 turbo will be maxed out at the HP goal you've set, and with 6 liters breathing through it, IMO it'd be too small unless your max boost and RPM goals are very low.

I'm looking at this from a Buick turbo perspective, but we routinely run 70 turbos on 235 ci. motors on the street. Admittedly this requires a higher stall converter, but a 6L motor should be able to spool a 76 with a stock converter.

TurboLark
10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Here is a good page from PTE. http://www.precisionturbo.net/turbochargers-display.php?company_id=101795&category_id=3027
It shows max horsepower on the left hand column. A 76 is good for a motor making up to 1100hp, with 850 being a midrange level. the 67 shows a max of 780. So if you are really planning to make power, and want upgrade room, go for the 76.

protour_chevelle
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Just got off the phone with Precision. What seems to work best for my situation is to run a T-67 GTQ and when I want to make more power he said I could send this one in and have a new compressor wheel put in. He said that the GTQ should be able to run a 76 wheel. So with that said. Thanks for the info and opinions, I'm going to run the T-67 GTQ.

-Matt

LS1NOVA
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
so are you going to make the headers,etc. I was thinking of trying some manifolds switched left to right. Wheel to Wheel made over 1300 hp using truck manifolds and a single turbo. I was also thinking of using the exact same setup as in the now famous 03 chevy truck w/the 6.0.

protour_chevelle
10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
What made 1300hp??? I'm actually now thinking of running a STS rear mount turbo kit. The videos are proof that the product works, Dyno #'s are nice, and it bolts up nice. Only problem is that they'd need to build the kit for us. Way easier than under the hood though. So many ways to go. The rear mount runs way cooler, but anything over 5psi needs either methanol injection or a intercooler. I think if I buy the headers that where made for that 03 Silverado it should clear everything under my hood.

-Matt

protour_chevelle
10-05-2004, 05:43 AM
Ok, I've changed my mind on the STS kit. My dad and I talked and I think the STS kit is just to solve a problem like, They make a rear mount kit for my car but no one makes a kit for under the hood. Sooo either way Nova, you and me have to get one off kits built for us, or we could make them ourselves.

Flipping both the headers wouldn't be a good idea, You dont want your cross over in the engine bay, You want it to go under the engine/tranny like a regular crossover to connect to one single line. Now the cross over connects to the rear of the turbo side header. Need flanges made for the cross over, turbo and wastegate. The kit that has been made twice for the 6.0l in trucks seems like it its pretty close to what I need under my hood. If you have MSN or AIM let me know. We can chat there. Its much easier talking live then on here.

-Matt

LS1NOVA
10-05-2004, 08:38 AM
If You Go To Ls1tech And Look In The Forced Induction Section They Have Some Pictures Of What Kurt Urban Is Tuning On. The Owners Did The Fab Work Using 6.0 Manifolds And Run Both Forward Facing And Ran The Crossover In Front Of The Engine Down Low And Mouted The Turbo Right Above The Thermostat Housing. Looked Pretty Good To Me But Might Run Into Interference Near The Upper A Arms. Good Luck

protour_chevelle
10-05-2004, 02:21 PM
Any links to this? I cant find it.

-Matt

LS1NOVA
10-05-2004, 04:06 PM
use the search button to seach user name 427 or search 403 turbo thread. this should work and is very interesting reading.

protour_chevelle
10-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Oddly enough I read that post a few days back.

I've talked to many guys and I'm going to go a different route. I'm going to call up Stainless works and see if they have made a header for my application. Now if they have I'm going to get a quote on a single turbo header with all the flanges I need. Since the header is the most important part and NEEDS to be tig'd I'll let the pro's do it. I've read too many stories about headers cracking because of cheap metal. So once I get the header and turbo, its simple to run my own cross over, down pipe, and the rest. Leave the drivers side header normal and run the crossover where a factory crossover pipe would go(on a n/a car where both banks merge to be one for the exhaust)

-Matt

parish8
10-14-2004, 04:21 PM
hey, thats my truck. definately go with a t76. i am around 800fwhp on a mostly stock 6.0. the t76 is not far from being maxed out now. with a 408 i will max it out easialy. t67 is way too small.

more info and lots of pic's on my set up are at www.turbotruck.com

recent dyno was a little better than 500rwhp and these numbers are they a power robbing 4l80e and tcase >> http://www.neufamily.org/parishdyno.wmv

parish8
10-14-2004, 04:29 PM
woops, double post

kmracer
10-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Heres that link

Watch at about the 2 minute mark. He'll be doing a burnout.
http://www.neufamily.org/street5.30.04.wmv

-Matt
dude that thing is frekkin SICK!!!! I WAS THAT TRUCK IN HOT ROD.
its the coolest thing. i like how it is completly stock on the outside but then.... ya u get it. i love it. sounds bad ass too :git: :3gears: :bananna2: :jawdrop: :eek: