PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Standard to Deluxe Interior on 69 Camaro

4MuscleMachines
02-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Has anybody ever done this? I want to also install the rosewood panels. Do the panels replace that part of the dash or simply overlay? Any drilling to be done since I know the panels have some studs on the backside.

Also, I want to replace the door panels and rear panels to deluxe interior. I was told I needed new window mechanisms? Do the deluxe door handles bolt right into the standard interior brackets? Anything else to look out for?
Thanks in advance.

streetk14
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
I was thinking of doing the deluxe door panel conversion on my 68. You have to change the window regulators and inner door handle mechanisms. As far as the rear panels go, I think the rear seat is narrower on the deluxe interior cars to make room for the rear armrests. I'm sure there are some guys here who have done the conversion. Where are you?
-Andy

4MuscleMachines
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
I am 2hrs south of San Antonio. I went to camaros.net and found a post stating that for 69 the rear seat is the same and 67-68 different?

rocketrod
02-25-2006, 06:26 AM
I was thinking of doing the deluxe door panel conversion on my 68. You have to change the window regulators and inner door handle mechanisms.
-Andy
You can just swap out the splined shaft the window cran attaches to. On the deluxe regulators the shaft is longer since the door panels are thicker. I have also heard of people cutting the shafting and splicing in a section tho increase the length.

Here is a step by step breakdown I founf on www.camaros.net, to convert them. A friend of mine has done this and it took him longer to go to the junkyard and get them the splined shafts than to install. The junkyard gave him the pieces, so it ended being a free conversion.

How to switch from standard length regulators to deluxe length:

1. Remove door panel.
2. Remove water shield.
3. Look for rivets that hold splined shaft (stalk)to window regulator
and drill them out.
4. Remove stalk with retainer shell.
5. Remove stalk from retainer shell and safely store the retainer as
you will be re-using it.
6. Measure length of old stalk, or take it with you to the junk yard.
7. Find proper length stalk on donor GM car at junk yard and remove
them just like you removed yours. Oldsmobile 98's (early to mid 80's
should have the right length.
8. Take new longer stalks and insert them into your old retainer
shells.
9. Rivet the new assembly back onto your old regulator which is still
in your door.
10. Reinstall water shield, door panel, window crank, and interior door
handle.
11. Drink a beer and marvel at how much money you just saved.

A lot of the "Deluxe" window regulators being sold on E-Bay are simply
standard regulators that have been converted!

ertoys
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Great info, thanks!