PDA

View Full Version : How to clean silicone contaminated areas on my 67?

Flyboy
10-02-2004, 06:46 PM
This stems from a thread that I had started in the old forums, revolving around my utterly stupid and uninformed use of WD40 to try and get light surface rust off of my 67 after sitting outside for a while. Didn't use a whole lot before I read someone else's reply, telling me to avoid silicone based ANYTHING or it will fisheye the paint when it comes time to do so.

Well, someone said that there was a product out there that was good for getting rid of silicone contamination prior to painting, but never posted up what it was. I was wonering if someone could possibly fill me in on what I need to use?

astroracer
10-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Trisodiumphosphate. TSP... it's a cleaner degreaser that you can get at any hardware/homesupply store. Couple of bucks a box... Use it as directed in very hot water. I use it to remove Armour-All. Of course WD-40 should come off with any paint pre cleaner like Prep-Sol or Pre-Kleano...
The next time you want to remove surface use a Duponts Metal Prep or any similar product.
This stuff works very well... http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=177
and it leaves a coating that prevents the rust from coming back for a short time...
Mark

68protouring454
10-03-2004, 01:36 AM
sherwin williams makes a nice metal etch acid which you scrubb on with scotch brite and rinse off with water, very very good product, used for removing rust from metal that has been stripped wihtout blasting it, its ther only sherwin williams product i use but it is well worth it
jake