PDA

View Full Version : grounding ?'s

kman67rsss
10-02-2004, 11:19 AM
is there any place special to groun the block to the body/frame. where are ground straps needed? block to body or frame and frame to body? is that it or should there be more. how many of each is reccomended. thanks. o and this is on a 67 camaro if it makes a difference

Zefhix
10-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi there!! General rule of thumb is you can never have too many grounds! Simply, the rate at which electricity can flow to your equipment is directly related to (and limited by) the rate at which the current can ground. Some people may say it's overkill but at least a 4 guage from batt to block....block to chassis...and trans housing to chassis is a safe bet any day of the week. Make sure all the mounting points are bare metal and not painted or plated.... :cool:

Pro-touring towncar
11-22-2004, 08:54 AM
I usualy do the big three, Battery to engine, engine to chassis, battery to chassis. with atleast 4 guage and good connectors. You may want to go one more chassis to body.I also up grade my charging lead from alt to battery. Also use good battery terminals. I hate looking a a cool modded car to only see chewed up factory style lead battery terminals.

Tim

rs67convert
11-22-2004, 09:12 AM
If the battery is in the trunk should I run a fatty wire up to the block? 4 gauge? Along with the positive wire to the starter? Right now I have the ground bolted to the "****tail shaker" in the trunk.

Zefhix
11-22-2004, 11:22 AM
When the batt. is in the trunk, I run a positive 2 or 0 guage to the front distribution block and make my main ground the same gauge. The other grounds at least 4 gauge.

bbc427
11-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I would not run a negative battery cable from the trunk to the engine; you get better conductivity through the chassis. What you need is a ground between the engine and the chassis and a ground between the engine and the body. You can also put one between the chassis and the body. If the battery is up front then a good guage wire , 4 to 2 guage, between the negative battery terminal and the engine is all you need; plus the other grounds I listed earlier. Good clean grounds make all the difference between a good running car and a great running car. Good luck.
Eric