PDA

View Full Version : Nine inch installation question

Clsccmro
02-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I just received my new 9 inch rear, hotchkis leaf springs, and qa1 shocks on friday. I have a few installation questions before I get started. First off, my car still has the original mono leafs, so can I use the lower shock mounting plates from the mono leafs or modify them for use with the hotchkis springs? Also, are the mono leaf shock mounting plates the same height as the multi's?

I also cannot figure out the leaf spring rubber pads that came with the hotchkis springs. One of them has about a 1 inch hump in the middle of it. This won't allow the leaf spring to sit flush with the perches or the mounting plates. Definitely stumped on that one.

And one last question, I had c-clip eliminators installed on the housing ends, however the bolts included with the housing won't fit the housing ends. The diameter of the bolts is correct, but the head is round and too large to fit where it needs to, not enough clearance. What are the correct bolts for this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Clsccmro
02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Anyone?

silver69camaro
02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm kinda confused. You've got clip eliminators on a 9"? Any pictures?

What type of housing ends do you have? What diameter is the bolts? The head of the bolt should be elongated, making the bolt look like a "T".

Clsccmro
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey sorry about that. They aren't c-clip eliminators like I said, I'm not really sure what I was thinking, but anyways here's a pick of the housing ends and the Hotchkis leaf spring pads. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the reply.

OHCbird
02-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Those look like std 3.25" Ford ends- what bolt doesn't fit??

The pad points up to the 'register' in the spring perch on the bottom of the axle.

Clsccmro
02-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I took these pics over my lunch break from work, I didn't get to take one of the bolt, but it's just a rounded head allen screw bolt. I just talked to the guy who sold me the 9 inch and he said that he grinds the heads of the bolts down so that they'll fit correctly.

I'm guessing that I'll have to get a different set of leaf spring pads because I had the Mopar perches installed on the housing and I guess they won't work with these pads.

If anyone knows about the shock plate question above, that would be of great help also.

silver69camaro
02-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Scott,
It's hard to tell due to the angle, but I'm pretty sure those are GM ends. They don't look like the Tornino or big Ford style.

Clsccmro
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
They are GM ends 10/12 bolt.

speedster
02-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Clsccmro -
go to www.currieenterprises.com
The proper housing bolt is a T-Bolt
Either 3/8 or 1/2"
Part Numbers:
3/8" CE-2012
1/2" CE-2010

Clsccmro
02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks a lot speedster, that's exactly what I needed to know regarding those bolts.

Still on a search for the rest of the answers though.

OHCbird
02-14-2006, 12:15 AM
I agree- GM bolt pattern w/Ford ends. This allows you to run your GM-pattern brakes, right?

Spring perches- yes, they are the same height.

Clsccmro
02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Thats exactly right OHCBird, I want to keep the brakes and wheels all GM. For right now I'm just using the stock rear drums, but I hope to change over to discs soon.

I still don't quite understand the Hotchkis leaf spring pad problem that I have. If I were have the stock multi leaf spring perches, is there a recess in the perch where the hump on the pad fits into? I have seen pictures of the perches and it still doesn't seem like there is near enough room for that hump to fit into. Am I right by thinking that I can't use those upper pads with the Mopar perches I have on my ford rear?

PTAddict
02-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Often aftermarket leaf spring perches don't have the register you're talking about. The Moser 12 bolt I just installed in my '71 didn't have them, either. You can just cut the hump off the top of the pad, the axle registers primarily on the leaf spring bolt in any case.

Clsccmro
02-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, it is greatly appreciated. I think I have everything covered for a flawless install now (haha, yeh right). The only thing I'm not sure will work out is if the driveshaft will mount perfectly up to this unit, but soon to find out.

Thanks again guys!