PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Paint / Powder Coating

69LS1SixSpeed
02-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm in the process of smoothing out the bumpers on my 55 Chevy. I don't want to chrome them as they were powder coated black before (this is not a money issue as I want a little different look on the car). I would like to find a painted finish base coat/clear coat that will look close to my powder coated wheels that have a "Hyper Chrome" finish. I can't go the Power coating route because I'll probably have to use some final skiming of bondo to help smooth out the bumpers once the metal work is finished(Powder coat heat issues).

So the bottom line question is...is the a paint that simulates the Chrome Powder chrome look? Please advise and thanks in advance for your input!

I'll attach a picture of the 55 which is now being painted a Porsche Titanium metallic (More Gray than Silver).

toxicz28
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Check into Eastwood's Lab Metal. It is supposed to survive under powdercoating during the curing process.

CAMAROBOY69
02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Those wheels look sick on there! I also like how the bumpers look right now but I completely understand wanting to do something original to set your car apart from the rest.

Sparky67
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm in the process of smoothing out the bumpers on my 55 Chevy. I don't want to chrome them as they were powder coated black before (this is not a money issue as I want a little different look on the car). I would like to find a painted finish base coat/clear coat that will look close to my powder coated wheels that have a "Hyper Chrome" finish. I can't go the Power coating route because I'll probably have to use some final skiming of bondo to help smooth out the bumpers once the metal work is finished(Powder coat heat issues).

So the bottom line question is...is the a paint that simulates the Chrome Powder chrome look? Please advise and thanks in advance for your input!

I'll attach a picture of the 55 which is now being painted a Porsche Titanium metallic (More Gray than Silver).

Have you considered a different type of plating instead of chrome? There are paints that can match your wheels, but there is also different types of plating. For example satin nickel plating, it looks very much like stainless steel.

Jeff

USAZR1
02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Man,that is one killer 55! :twothumbs

lvrpool32
02-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Go to Innate.com and look at the alumifec (polished aluminum) or chrome paint both are very easy to use, look awesome if you follow the instructions. I used the alumifec on my mirrors (plastic) to give a polished aluminum look.

Nick

69LS1SixSpeed
02-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Nick.....thanks for the info on this site! Looks like there are a few possibilities!

Chuck

tbair
02-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey, that 55 is killer.What wheels are on your car.Thanks Tim

ProTouring442
02-20-2006, 04:20 AM
Hey, that chrome/polished aluminum stuff is too cool! I am collecting parts for a "cafe racer" style Yamaha XS-650, and I think I just found what I need to paint it!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

69LS1SixSpeed
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
The wheels are high end Breyton (BMW) 18"x8.5" front and 20"x9.5" rear but I got them cheap on Ebay. The 55 has a late model Corvette C4 independent rear suspension and these wheels fit perfect on the rear. BMW wheels are 120.0 MM compared to 4.75" which is 120.65 MM (they fit right on the Chevy bolt pattern). I run hub centric inserts to insure good balancing. This is my third set of BMW wheels on this 55. The car has a "Euro" theme going so that's the reason I use the European wheels plus I like to have unique looking wheel on my cars....kinda got tired of the American Torque Thrust wheels, etc.

Chuck

63SW
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I dont know if this will help but i know the guy that had his FIBERGLASS BUMPERS done in what looked like a NICKEL or Chrome finish....
REAL NICE!

You may have seen the car , or heard about it - IT'S SICK :worship:

Anyways , its a 1965 IMPALA owned by Chuck Schradel ( sorry if i spelled it wrong Chuck ) its been on the cover of SUMMIT CATALOG . and a NUMEROUS SUPER CHEVY WINNER ...

Champagne color , Slammed / air ride , BLOWN ALCOHOL INJECTED and just BAD AS IT CAN BE.

I know the car was at each stop on the HOT ROD POWER TOUR last year , and at JOLIET super chevy and won there last year...

He's out of WISCONSIN...

If interested , let me know and i might have his number still.

PS . just find the issue of SUPER CHEVY that was for Joliet , ITS IN THERE.

Jeff

Rocko71
02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
http://www.snschrome.com/bumpers.htm try them, they do "chrome paint" but if thats not what youre lookin for, maybe they can tint it for you, like this: http://www.snschrome.com/bodyparts.htm here's a pic of that last link, its way cool. Let us know how it turns out.

BonzoHansen
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, that is neat. Colors like that fender would look good underhood, like air boxes.

Travis B
02-23-2006, 01:39 PM
you could always metal work the bumpers just like they do before plating and still powder coat them........!