PDA

View Full Version : East coast track day may 6th, pocono

vanzuuk1
02-12-2006, 04:42 PM
O.K. This is it ,may 6th at pocono raceway, east course.Rain or shine.

You must have a snell sa 2000 or "M"rated helmet (a bell sprint is about 160$ online)

You register and pay 240$

You show up that morning and pass tech (basic safety check, see attached)

A morning classroom session is followed by groups going out with an instructer in your car. After a few sessions the instructer may cut you loose to lap on your own.

Sessions will be divided into groups based on experience/car type, you will get about two hours track time over the course of the day.

It is a tight road couse with a short 100+ mph straight section.It will be faster than an autocross but the emphasis is on cornering, not W.O.T. There is room to go off in the dirt and get back on without a loud crashing sound.Passing will be restricted to straightaways. Anyone who acts like they are on the bumper cars on coney island will be ejected.

I still want to meet at an autocross before this event, but no dates have been announced yet.

For more info or to make a deposit go on www.pdadrivingschool.com or call 973 253 3900, you can also email me at [email protected]., or call me 914 747 nine four four seven.

No word on wether car craft will cover the event, if only we knew someone who worked at a magazine...

vanzuuk1
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Also see the "track day prep" thread in this forum for more track day tips.

gsxrken
02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I am in. I'd like to go out the night before and stay at a hotel.
Oh and thanks- now that track prep site has me worried about oil temps, which are not monitored (or cooled) on my car.

ProTouringNyc
02-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Sound like a plan, getting my cage installed in a couple of weeks so I'll be ready.

airrj1
02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
You are killing me here. :eek:

My car is barely ready for autocross let alone track time! Let’s see a six and a half hour drive, a full day on the track, and then a six and a half hour drive home if all goes well. I would give my left arm to be able to do it. I can’t say yes at this point. But I will keep in touch as we get closer and let you know how my progress is. I will call in some favors from my buddies to have them help get the car ready.

I have the blessing from my wife if the car is ready. So now it is a blitz to finish up. As I said earlier my driver’s class and first autocross for the year are April 22 and 23. So that will be a good two day shake down run.

Do you know the chances that the group will sell out? Or do you think that I could get in even if I wait until maybe the end of March?

Well thanks for the goal. I hope I can make it.

Steve Chryssos
02-15-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm in. This is the perfect opportunity. If your hot rod is not ready, bring the family car. Not only do you get seat time, but you also get some instruction from a pro. The instruction is the real benefit here. This one experience will dramatically shorten your learning curve. And the date is perfect. I plan on getting in the night before. Race all day. Party that night. And head home the following day.

Thanks to Dirk and Leslie for coordinating this event.

Steve Chryssos
02-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I booked a room at the Hampton Inn Stroudsberg, PA in case you guys all wanna stay at the same joint.

Actually my wife booked the room. Because she's better at that kind of thing. Actually, she's better at most things.

FScope
02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Would I be able to run my convertible without a rollbar? Almost all open track events I've looked at require a roll bar for convertibles.

vanzuuk1
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
You can call the number on the website, ask joe about the rollbar. You have got time to put a roll bar in if need be.

Steve, phone number at the hampton inn?

FScope
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Went to the web site and found this -
Minimum requirements to participate in a PDA driving event:

Be at least 18 years old
Have a "SNELL SA-2000" or "M" rated helmet (some loaner helmets are available at the registration office when checking in)
Wear long sleeve shirt & long pants while driving
Have properly working seat belts on both driver and passenger side
ALL convertibles MUST have an approved roll bar (main hoop should be made of .120 wall thick steel)
Vehicle must pass tech inspection by your mechanic or our staff and Tech Sheets must be signed by both driver and inspector
All vehicle safety related functions must be in proper working order
Exhaust must not exceed 90 DB (except at Pocono!)
Street tires must have no less than 5/32" tread or race tires.

I guess that counts me out, there's no way this car is getting a roll bar. But, the next one... full cage. Maybe i'll catch you guys at an autocross.

Steve Chryssos
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Man that's a bummer. Come on out anyway wtih another car.

SicMonte
02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
hey.....you all have manual tranny's....what do you think an automatic would do on a track?? ive never driven an automatic on the track....just my 83 rx7 spec car.

vanzuuk1
02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Automatics tend to run hot on a road course, I have got a trans cooler, fresh fluid and crossed fingers.

Steevo, I need the phone number for the hotel, please.

Steve Chryssos
02-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg/Poconos
114 South 8th Street
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania 18360
Phone: 1-570-424-0400
Fax: 1-570-424-4950

Gotta have a decent sized trans cooler with an automatic as well as good brakes since engine braking is not particularly useful.

Damn True
02-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Went to the web site and found this -
Minimum requirements to participate in a PDA driving event:

Be at least 18 years old
Have a "SNELL SA-2000" or "M" rated helmet (some loaner helmets are available at the registration office when checking in)
Wear long sleeve shirt & long pants while driving
Have properly working seat belts on both driver and passenger side
ALL convertibles MUST have an approved roll bar (main hoop should be made of .120 wall thick steel)
Vehicle must pass tech inspection by your mechanic or our staff and Tech Sheets must be signed by both driver and inspector
All vehicle safety related functions must be in proper working order
Exhaust must not exceed 90 DB (except at Pocono!)
Street tires must have no less than 5/32" tread or race tires.

I guess that counts me out, there's no way this car is getting a roll bar. But, the next one... full cage. Maybe i'll catch you guys at an autocross.

You could do an IOport bolt in.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=IPRS&Category_Code=AP7450

vanzuuk1
02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
We made reservations, note that the hampton inn is about forty minutes north of the track.

YoungGun
02-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I hope you guys have a blast!! I am jealous, but I cant leave in the middle of finals. And now you got me scared my transmission wouldnt survive the ordeal.

Take alot of pictures, and have fun!

Tim

Steve Chryssos
02-23-2006, 12:08 PM
We made reservations, note that the hampton inn is about forty minutes north of the track.

The hotels close by were more expensive. But I'll change my reservation if you find a better deal that's closer. Besides, it's only 25 miles away. That don't take 40 minutes. Were you gonna do the drive in reverse? :fart:

vanzuuk1
02-24-2006, 03:43 AM
The girl at the hotel said forty minutes. There is a "traffic issue" according to the same female. Wise guy.

Steve Chryssos
02-24-2006, 07:06 AM
She sound cute?

vanzuuk1
02-24-2006, 02:20 PM
They always sound cute.

Damn True
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Just a little something I learned while spending eleven years listening to air traffic controllers and SAR co-ordinators on the radio while flying in a CG helo. The hotter a woman sounds on the radio/phone, the more likely she is to look like Bill Howell.

Fastcat72
02-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Guy you might want to try Pocono Mannor http://www.poconomanor.com/ It is only 15 mins from the track. If I go this is were I will be staying.

vanzuuk1
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Fastcat, thanks for the tip but I cant even afford to view the website, that place looked a little pricey.

Steevo, we may stay at the holiday inn, I will give you and mary the info if your interested. It would be nice to all stay at the same place if possible. Regardless we will all hook up for food and adult beverages.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Damn, I guess I picked a bad two weeks to have a bum cable modem. I'm just seeing this now.

Well, my car is currently down (I think the rear diff is shot, but it may be the tranny, haven't had time to diagnose yet, but it's undriveable) not sure how long until it'll be up and running again. This is also right at the end of finals. I really want to attend though, I'm going to have to see if I can swing it.

How many of you guys are trailering your cars to the track? Yeah, I know this is pro-touring.com and we don't trailer our cars, but after having broke a rear at 40mph on a public street, I'm really wondering how screwed I'd be to have something break on the track in PA, and be stuck out there.

TPI Monte SS
02-28-2006, 03:52 PM
I may be up for watching the day's events, but I'm spending my "fun" money for the year on my 355. I've gone a bit over budget so far, and still need to buy injectors and other misc. stuff. :(

vanzuuk1
03-01-2006, 03:54 AM
I checked the website and the trackdays are starting to sell out, anyone going should book soon.

Go to the website and register,this holds your spot. You dont need to pay until two weeks beforehand , you can also cancel up until two weeks before the event.

PeteRR
03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
I'd like to come out, but I'm gearing for the Power Tour. If by some miracle I'm in town I'll roll up there to spectate if nothing else.

Mkelcy
03-17-2006, 10:08 PM
So, I'm thinking about attending. I like road trips. Where are people staying?

vanzuuk1
03-18-2006, 04:16 AM
Howard johnson inn, bartonsville. 570 424 6100

Let us know so we can meet you somewhere.

vanzuuk1
03-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Ralph, Steevo and I are going to enter your house at dawn, in full ninja gear, and drag you to pocono.

Steve Chryssos
03-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Sorry dude, All of my ninjawear is at the dry cleaners. I've got a wooly Viking outfit that might work. I can sneak into the house by donning the cloak invisible.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-18-2006, 02:12 PM
LOL, I'm going to see if I can get one of my friends to road trip it up there with me and spectate for the day. No need for the ninjawear, haha.

gsxrken
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
This is getting closer. I am in and at the HoJo hotel I believe.
What does the confirmed headcount from PT.com look like at this point?

vanzuuk1
04-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Ken it looks like you, me, john thorpe and maybe steevo. A little bit of a let down but that wont stop us from having some fun.

I have given up announcing autocrosses, I feel like belushi in animal house.

airrj1
04-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I am definitely out for this one. I have another family event for that weekend. But I am working hard to get the Chevelle running for the first AutoX in Buffalo. A week and a half to go.

Have fun.

ProTouringNyc
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
This is a Bump

How was the turn out ? any pics

vanzuuk1
05-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Hey Carl. We had a discussion a few weeks ago and moved the date to august, I wasnt going to be ready and a few other guys were tight on time also. I can autocross the car as is but I need a few things to be comfortable on the track. Like tires.