PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get those cool heat shrink hoses?

69Myway
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Can somebody point me in that direction and give me some info on how they work, etc????

I am looking for a super clean simple way to run my main upper radiator hose and heater hoses on my 69 Vette with 454. I am trying to clean it up and go with something so simple and clean you don't even notice it there. I particularly hate the way the bypass hose looks form the water pump to intake with just plain claims, and worse yet as some sort of bling-bling hose.

Thanks!

CarlC
02-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Cheapest: McMaster Carr.

Local: NAPA, but usually limited sizes in stock. May have to wait.

They are made by Gates so check their website for info.

All you will need is a heat gun for installation. They are a simple heat-shrink design. They can't cut the hose or be over-tightened. They also expand and contract with temperature which helps maintain clamping force.

I recommend the removal tool, it makes taking them off much easier.

There's pics on my website.

Rubes
02-12-2006, 03:19 PM
You can get them from McMaster Carr. I haven't used them yet, but plan on getting some too. I know there are guys on this board that have used them.
Shrink to fit hose clamps (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=237)

Carl posted while I was typing

dannyho
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
FYI, its catalog page number 247

BobB66SS
03-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Got mine from a local NAPA dealer who ordered them from Gates for me. One of the few remaining parts stores that knows what you want when you ask for a 180 degree thermostat for a big block chevy and doesn't ask "what year is your car so I can look in the computer". Real car people.

By the way, you can also remove them with the tip of a soldering gun as well, in fact I think that's what's recommended by Gates in the packaging. Not something for a side of the road repair but works great in the garage.

EricButler
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Just picked up all mine from O'reily's today.