PDA

View Full Version : 67 help with GW rear springs

HLSASS
02-11-2006, 08:07 AM
I was hoping to find some help. I have a 67 with Global west upper and lower control arms in front, and their 5 leaf springs in back with bilsteins all around. The GW are all the delalum bushings. I noticed after I got all this on that the reaf is SUPER stiff, like almost no travel at all. These springs supposedly lower the rear 1.5" Any suggetions? The bilsteins are brand new as well as the springs.

Thanks!

Lowend
02-11-2006, 08:26 AM
How are you determining that the rear does not have any travel? If it is the classic hands on the back bumper and push down test, I'm not suprised. The GW rear springs are at least 160lbs/inch, so I'm not suprised if you can't move the rear by pushing.
I'm guessing that the car needs to settle a little bit. Give it 48 hours and the ride height will drop a bit

chicane67
02-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Its more of the shocks giving you this impression, not the springs.

I have had a bunch of customers and clients pretty much making the same claim as you, coming to me asking why?.... But what no one ever tells the end user of most products (specifically Bilstein products in this point) is that the damprs need to warm up before the 'cold stiffness' disapears.

All dampers need to be driven a few miles and/or laps to come up to proper operating temperature. A cold damper is just that...... just like a cold tire, cold brake pads or a cold engine. Weather its is a hydralic, high or low pressure gas type or a combination of the two..... they will need to warm up. They also require a little brake in per-se, which allows all things to settle.

As for the springs and the ride height issue and concerning the newly purchased and installed components, it will take a few miles/days for the rear suspension to 'settle'. As Lowend states, it could be as little as 48 hours but it could be longer depending on how much you drive the car and the duration in which you drive the car as well.

The spring rate mentioned is right around that number...... and once the rear settles out, it should give you a sweet ride. I know you might be a little apprehensive about it but give it a few a days and if i might add...... measure the fender lip to ground every other day to see how and how much its settling. When it stops changing, you will pretty much consider that 'settled'. From there you may have to tune the final ride height with lowering blocks (no more than an inch total I might add).

I understand your concern, I have 320lbs/inch rear springs, Del-A-Lum busings and custom valved Bilsteins...... and when you try and push down on the rear, the only thing that compresses when the chassis is cold is/was the tire side wall. With the new 18's..... its even scarrier..... but when the chassis warms up, the ride is the cats meow.

HLSASS
02-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Chicayne, thank you for the great information. The car is in paint right now so I haven't really driven it all out in 18 months! Once it is out, the car is done so I will do as you suggest.