PDA

View Full Version : 1962 Chevy II: Aftermarket Front Clip

Kevin1kas
10-01-2004, 09:01 PM
Anyone have / or know of someone with this setup?

http://www.heidts.com/heip26.htm#novaifs

I'm thinking about purchasing one. Right now it's either the Heidt's, or the Chevy II clip at http://www.cachassisworks.com/

Kenova
10-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Seems to me that Heidts was the first to build these subframes. Whether or not they are the best, I don't know. Heidts has been building street rod suspension systems for some time though.
I believe Wayne Due is building front subs for the Chevy II, is he not? I think I'd prefer an aftermarket sub that uses the more easily replaced factory components. In the case of the WD sub, that would be the Corvette suspension and brakes.
Ken

HOOLIGAN
10-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Check out these guys. www.JimeaseChassis.com

ryans67deuce
10-04-2004, 08:06 AM
I'm in the process of putting one of Wayne Due's front clips on my Chevy II and would highly recommend it!! It will handle/perform much better than the Heidt's, but of course, will cost more too.

Ryan

63ImportBeater
12-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Wayne Due says he is coming out with a full chassis for early novas. Not sure about a time line, just know its in the works. I'm thinking about holding out on my chassis work to see that piece.

Anyone know of other companies that have full early nova chassis?

Poopy
12-28-2004, 01:33 PM
A whole chassis? Hmm...that'd be cool. But im sure pricey, and I'm pretty cheap these days. I would think getting Waynes front sub frame, and building a custom frame from there back wouldnt be too difficult, you can even get the competition engineering rear frame rails that fit closely to the chevy II's contours.

I'm curious as to how the street rod stuff performs handling wise, compared to the corvette stuff, and also compared to mustang II stuff. You can build a pretty cheap mustang II front end, but how good is it?

David Pozzi
12-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Ive seen the Alston Chassisworks sub for the Chevy II and it's very high quality stuff, I didn't analyze the suspension for handling quality though.
David

cpederslie
12-28-2004, 09:29 PM
My 65 Chevy II will be getting a C5 setup from Wayne. I know he's just come out with a new clip for the first gen Camaro with early Chevy II coming shortly. It features Art Morrison suspension rather than the Corvette stuff. You can get more details and see pictures in his post.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3229&referrerid=1142

He hasn't said anything to me yet about a full frame for one yet...so I might have to pick his brain a little this week and find out more.

63ImportBeater
12-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Thats my bad. I saw waynes post and i thought he was saying he was offering a full frame. Now that I have looked again I see it is only a front subframe. Sorry all. I think i got so excited that maybe someone was gonna be able to sell me a FULL frame for my nova that i started shooting my mouth off like a dumb*@#. I guess i will have to go back to figuring out how to build my own full chassis.

Poopy
12-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Thats my bad. I saw waynes post and i thought he was saying he was offering a full frame. Now that I have looked again I see it is only a front subframe. Sorry all. I think i got so excited that maybe someone was gonna be able to sell me a FULL frame for my nova that i started shooting my mouth off like a dumb*@#. I guess i will have to go back to figuring out how to build my own full chassis.

Dont feel so bad, you got my hopes up too.... :ripped: hahahah

Marcus SC&C
12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
I can`t speak for Wayne`s C5 setup althuogh I know he makes really nice stuff as a rule. Of the 2 MII suspensions I`ve used the Heidts setup on several customer`s cars and we were very pleased with it. FYI the setup with tubular arms uses taller BJs that improve the geometry and bumpsteer. I dunno if Heidts intended that or if it was accidental but they turn the ol box Novas into a nice handling machine. They fit very well and give you a ton of extra room in the engine compartment by eliminating the stock shock towers. The only thing that was a bit of a PITA is that the power steering hoses didn`t fit the GM pump properly but a few fittings took care of that. You might want to opt for the coilover version and use adj. coilovers so you can easily tune the shock and spring rates. That version also uses a smaller upper control arm perch which allows the use of double adj. PPR UCAs if you like. The adj. UCAs are cool because you can lock the cross shafts in place and adjust the alignment with the UCAs rather than sliding the shafts in the slots. You can even use this to change the camber curves etc. by altering the OAL of the UCAs. Not necessary but a cool option. The Chassis Works setup looks very nice but I haven`t used it. The single adj. UCAs look like a bit of a pain to adjust but if you`re not doing it a lot it`s probably not an issue. The geometry of the Heidts setup (especially with the Chry. BJs) is really pretty good (better than factory MII). I haven`t run any numbers on the CW setup,one I looked at seemed like it would have very aggressive camber curves indeed but the ride height may have been set too low. Marcus SC&C