PDA

View Full Version : self etching or epoxy primer?

yortls6
02-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm installing DSE's firewall fill plate and I have a question for you paint and body guys. What is the best method to protect the metal on the backside of the plate and the firewall under the plate?

Should I spray them with an epoxy primer or will a self etching primer from an aerosol can work?

I'm also replacing both quarter panels and I have the same question for the sheet metal inside each quarter. I think I'll media blast the metal after the old quarters are removed and then spray everything with epoxy primer. (1969 Camaro)

Thanks!
Troy

73z-6sp
02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I recommend the epoxy primer. It will provide longer lasting protection than anything you can get from a spray can. Of course be sure all the rust is gone first. Might want to treat it with metal conditioner before primer.

Best of luck!

Jim Nilsen
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Since it is never going to be seen and you aren't going to ever paint it I would use POR15. It has proven for me to work very well. Just make sure you prep everything well and it will be there forever and get tougher with moistue instead of weaker.

If you don't want to go to the trouble to get some and you already have the epoxy primer then go with the epoxy.

Jim Nilsen

mikey
02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I would maybe poke a hole from the backside if needed and spray it with a inner panel rust proofer such as the one from SEM. It's basically cosmolene for autobody repairs.

SHANE's Body Shop
02-11-2006, 01:36 PM
I grind down the rust what i can get to[inner 1/4] and use Klean-strip metal prep.Then after it dries i prime with epoxy primer and under coat it.
The areas that are bear metal like the fire wall plate i use weld throu primer[3-M part #05917]because of moisture.I'm workn on a 69 T/A pictures are on zman1969.

yortls6
02-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks! I'll probably go with either POR15 or epoxy. I used POR15 under the new dash panel and it worked great.

BRIAN
02-11-2006, 06:15 PM
I still do not get the quick fix all POR15 thing? It is just not what everybody makes it out to be. Sometimes it is actually more work and more expensive to use.

Use the epoxy or a etch primer. Etch primers depending on brand can also be used as a weld through primer and come in pretty handy. Either way you can stick with a system instead of trying to top coat the POR 15. I am assuming you will finish the inside of your trunk.

Rick Dorion
02-12-2006, 04:53 AM
I've sprayed Eastwood Rust Encapsulator into hard to reach areas. After 5 years, it's still looking good.

Jim Nilsen
02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I went and looked at the test piece I did with Zero Rust and it is holding up ok after 5 months. It was easy to apply since it was in a spray can and if you are hiding it the color won't matter.

I still would use POR15 if it was mine and I know it is not a cheap fix and it does take prep work that might consume more time but the fact that I have seen it hold up to conditions that are extreme for moisture makes me trust it. Always do 2 coats to do it right.

I will add that if it is not prepared properly you might as well use anything you want but that goes with anything you use. Under the same extreme conditions and same prep I have found that the POR15 will last longer than Epoxy. Nothing you use will last forever under abuse and neglect, it is just the nature of coatings.

One day I may believe in Zero Rust more than the others. We will see how it still is holding up by next winter. The UV rays of a whole summer really test a coating under all of the elements.

Jim Nilsen

Colin Frolick
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
i like MasterSeries silver primer

http://www.nomorerust.com/

martZ
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
My vote will go to epoxy primer. I painted my subframe with PPG DP90 eight years ago and it still holding up fine. It even resists non synthetic brake fluid. I'm not all that impressed with POR-15 and Chassis Saver rust preventive paints.

redss86
02-16-2006, 05:25 AM
I would use the 3M weld through primer where panels will be mated together. Just make sure you remove any that is showing and will be painted/primed over. Then I would use an epoxy primer.
Good luck,
Joe

Andrew McBride
02-16-2006, 06:47 AM
Z chrome "rust defender" High build primer- You can spray it directly onto metal.

I think you can only by this is quarts and gallons, but this stuff works great. Then just shoot over it with good sandable gray primer, dupont or even I have used this transtar stuff. Transtar is cheap, but it does a good job. (I know some of these name brand guys shake there head when reffering to transtar, but it works well)