PDA

View Full Version : Fathom Blue PPG???

65GS
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Has anyone painted their car fathom blue,,,or a shade that is close to fathom???? I think I have finally decided on that color,,just looking for any imput on it from someone who has it or knows of it!!!
I seen it on a chevelle/malibu in chevy rumble i think it was,,,looked awesome,,but I have read before that you have to be carefull picking colors that way,,,as the photographer's sometimes use filters,,which alters the color slightly!!! Any advise would be great!!! Thanks

ProdigyCustoms
02-10-2006, 03:27 AM
I have done a few Fathom blues from my restoration days. It is a nice color, for a old color, but I think there are nicer new colors. Keep in mind, back in the day colors used metalics (usually ground aluminum) to make razzle dazzle, now we use micas (ground pearls) amoung other tricks to make colors sing and dnace. Some of these new colors can really "light up" in the sun. The 55 we just finished in Project updates is a perfect example, the color almost looks back lit in the sun. We also have a Arrival Blue Firebird we are doing that lights up pretty well. there are some pretty blues around, you may want to go look though some color books at the paint store.

Todds69
02-10-2006, 05:42 AM
I think the LeMans Blue on the Corvette is pretty sweet.

Drewhelm
02-10-2006, 12:53 PM
The 05 Dodge Magnum Blue is SWEEEET, too.

http://firstgenfirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=642

rocketman
02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
i painted a 33 frd coupe o6 zo6 lemans blue w/orange flames,looks really good.and has orange guts.

65GS
04-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys!!!
I'm really getting down to having to decide on a color,,the body guy is priming and block sanding,,and is going to be ready to spray before long!!!
I really like the 2 tone idea,,but sometimes wonder if its a fad that will fade within a few years,,(spelling),
I am looking for a mid to dark colored blue,,wondering if anyone could give me a few examples to think about,,I am heading to the paint store to look over some colors in the morning, so that should help narrow it down!!!
Basically,,what im looking for is a blue that looks more modern than anything that was available in '65,,but not something obviously out of place!!
Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!!! Thanks

torose
04-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Blue on Dodge Viper is hard to beat