PDA

View Full Version : LS1/A4 swap.

OldSchoolFormula
02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I have a complete A4 2001 Trans Am I just picked up. I'm thinking of the beauties of the LSX design now and all the advantages. Retrofit costs is high though.

Anyway, being I have the entire car, what would I need to save/reuse to get this thing installed and running in my '73 as cheaply as possible? I figure the entire car is in my garage runnign right now, everything I really need is there besides things needed to make the darn thing fit. Looking for functional right now, not pretty. :drive1:

Rybar
02-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Besides the engine & tranny. If your not looking for show.

I'd use & keep:

stock manifolds
the engine harness & PCM (which will need to be modified)
all engine accesories
driveshaft (resized)
rack & pinion setup (if you want to convert it)
radiator & hoses

all you would need to buy would be engine mount plates, a tranny cross member, modify the oil pan or buy the ATS pan, and have your engine harness & PCM reworked and tuned.

You could even use the 4th gen seats, dash & console. And I think you can even use the disc brakes with some sort of adapter plates.

OldSchoolFormula
02-10-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm also thinking about keeping my BTO 2004R instead of the 4L60, just because its already built to Stage 3 specs. Assuming I do keep the 4L60E, Besides VATS(they have that VATS thing on ebay), and the rear 02's(sim's?) what specifically will need to be changed regarding the harness and the PCM? What might it be looking for that I could swap over?

I'm also kind of tossing around the idea of using the 01's gauge cluster, being it will receive the correct signals as is, and it looks kind of cool.
:git:

derekf
02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
The rear O2 sensors and the VATS can be disabled in the PCM while you're having it tuned/reworked (or you could do it yourself if you bought the software to use).

OldSchoolFormula
02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Heres a question... since my '73 steering column is very basic, no tilt, no dummer on the stalk, no wiiper delay, no cruise, etc, and if I can find a '81 T/A with those options... could I take the steering column, and then use the new column to be able to use the cruise control switch? Thats a mod I'd LOVE to have on an older car. Has anyone else set up a cruise control using the LS1 stuff? If so, how?

OldSchoolFormula
02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
And further more,whats involved with modifying the harness? I found all the pin-outs over on LS1Tech, do I simply remove whatever wires I don't need? Ideally I'd REALLY like to do this, to get it in and running, as quickly and as cheaply as possible. I can tidy it up later. If it simply means pulling the wires, or even just leaving them disconnected and bundled up, I'll do it. Theres not a lot emissions wise on the LS1, and most of it looks like it will swap to the '73 fairly easy, with the exception of the evap system and the rest of the gas tank. Still not sure how I'm going to do that, Any ideas? I looked closer at the two tanks last night and that LS1 tank is tall, I don't think the fuel pump/sending unit it even going to be possible to make it work in the '73, and the only way to get the LS1 fuel tank into the '73 would be to cut the trunk out. I don't really wnat to do that, even though I cant remember the last time I even opened the trunk.
The other option is to keep my existing tank and put on an external fuel pump (Walbro 255?)Now, how would I do the return? I notice theres a "T" fitting under the 01, is that how the 01 regulates it's fuel return? If possible I'd like to keep that. The idea is to buy as little new parts as possible.

Thanks guys.