PDA

View Full Version : Just dropped the GTO off at the strippers

GTOConno
02-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey,
I dropped my 67 GTO off at the media blasters today. I should have it back in a week or so. I'll post pics after I pick it up. Hopefully w/o too much hidden damage.

Conno

Hammered
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
So what's your plan for the car? I'm looking forward to seeing another Pontiac built.

John

Roger Poirier
02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
So what's your plan for the car? I'm looking forward to seeing another Pontiac built.

John

I second that motion! Looks like you are doing the car the correct way.

R.P.

GTOConno
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks, I'm planning on a stock looking car (except maybe for the wheels) w/ 4 wheel discs, quick ratio steering, lowered a bit, and a tri-power 455 4-speed. I plan on a 5 speed swap in the future.

I'll post more pics when I pick it up.

Conno

tripower
02-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks, I'm planning on a stock looking car (except maybe for the wheels) w/ 4 wheel discs, quick ratio steering, lowered a bit, and a tri-power 455 4-speed. I plan on a 5 speed swap in the future.

I'll post more pics when I pick it up.

Conno

As others have said, nice to see another Poncho! My plan is pretty much the same as yours. Check out my car in the VbGarage!

Very nice!

Bill Howell
02-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Pontiacs all the way! We gonna rule here yet......lol

71FirebirdLS1
02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
that subkect line is false advertising!! i was expecting the car to be done at taken to the strip club for pics with girls all over it! just kidding. go pontiacs!

71FirebirdLS1
02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
sorry

71FirebirdLS1
02-12-2006, 04:39 PM
sorry again, i was impatient

Bill Howell
02-12-2006, 04:43 PM
that subkect line is false advertising!! i was expecting the car to be done at taken to the strip club for pics with girls all over it! just kidding. go pontiacs!

Here you go.....
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:
now the thread is complete.....lol

muthstryker
02-12-2006, 05:33 PM
lol bill, hmm maybe pontiacs will take over if i dont trade my GTO for a 68 camaro. but who knows :)

zman1969
02-13-2006, 01:38 PM
got me all excited ! long way to go - uphill all the way, push hard , good luck :Alchy: its amazing after all these years there are still good project cars to work on

GTOConno
02-14-2006, 08:45 AM
..for the inspiration, I know I have a long way to go and will have a lot of questions, but with some guidance from you guys I'll get thru it and have an awesome car as the payoff. Although I have done engine, trans, suspension, and brake work, this is my first time replacing and welding body panels. I'm planning on doing the trunk and floors, but will leave the body and paint to the pros.

I just talked to the guy at the strippers (easy 71 Firebird) they are blasting it today, I'll be picking it up in a few days. I'll post pics ASAP.

Thanks again,
Conno

GTOConno
02-21-2006, 09:36 AM
I picked up the car the other day. Here are some pics. Lots of bondo, and the floors are full of holes, but its not too bad. The doors are perfectly clean. I plan on tacking in the trunk before I remove the frame.

Conno

tripower
02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
There's a regular "Indian Uprising" going on here with all these Ponchos poping up!!!

GTOConno
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Hey,
Look what I found under the 1/2" of bondo at my wheel openings. Damn.

I cant post any more pics on this thread so I'll start another.

Conno

GTOConno
02-24-2006, 02:15 PM
OK, I had to delete some old pics.

crazykaese
04-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Here's a little inspiration for ya. I had my 67 GTO vert acid dipped at Redistrip in Easton PA and when I got it back it was almost beyond salvagable. But I got every panel on the car replaced and now it looks like this.

http://www.northeastsyty.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album327

It's got all poly bushings throughout the suspension and body mounts, Global West front upper a-arms, 12" disc brakes from a fullsized GM wagon, 3:31 12 bolt rear with drums, quick ratio steering box. I have all of the original parts except the carburetor. Car is originally a 400/3 speed stick 3:36 10 bolt open rear. The paint is 97 Dodge Viper red polyeurethane with 6 coats of clear.

It's come a long way - still much to do. I want to Rhinoline the entire undercarriage and floors/trunk for protection/sound deadening before reassembly. I'm not concerned with the weight gain. I just want it tight and quiet.

I also have pretty much every factory power option and accessory that ever was offered for a 67 GTO vert to install.

Hope the pics keep you motivated.

P.S. - where are you located? I'm in the Trenton NJ area.

GTOConno
04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Wow crazykaese, your car looks great. I cant wait to get to that point. I'm still in the 'splicing in the new metal' phase. I'm going to do all the metal work then let the pros finish it off. I hope to get the car to the body & paint shop by the 4th of July.

I live in the Washington DC area (Northern Va).

Thanks for the inspiration!

Conno

Jagarang
04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
I wish my car had looked as good when I commited to the restification. I could have kept several of my fleshy appendages, I miss them so, but the prostectic limbs really aren't that hard to get used to.

Try your VB Garage Conno. I know it's been down recently, and I don't know how much it'll let you load, but it might help.

Thanks for the pics, and good luck. Nice car!

I never knew media blasting left bondo behind.

Hmmmmmmm......I looked for VB Garange in my ow profile and it seems to have disappeared! This may be permanent, or perhaps Larry and the mods are still working on it.

Roger Poirier
04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I never knew media blasting left bondo behind.

FYI

Even with media blasting there can be bondo. It all depends how far or deep you want the process to go. My only bad spot on the car was the roof. Someone took a baseball bat to it at one time. They ((sandblaster) called the paint shop to get permission to go deeper into the metal to see the end result.

R.P.

Northern Goat
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Nice looking project. Like some others I wish mine looked that good when I started, I had to repalce 70% of the shell (thank god for repop panels).

Here some additional inspiration http://photos.yahoo.com/pooniacs.

Great to see another GOAT being built.

68driver
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Great before / after pics. I've been thinking about doing a full strip job on my 68 Camaro vert, but need to get a handle on the $$$ before I get started. What's a reasonable amount to pay for a full body and underside media blast assuming I remove the interior, glass, motor, etc... myself? Any suggestions before I start tearing it down?

Roger Poirier
04-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Great before / after pics. I've been thinking about doing a full strip job on my 68 Camaro vert, but need to get a handle on the $$$ before I get started. What's a reasonable amount to pay for a full body and underside media blast assuming I remove the interior, glass, motor, etc... myself? Any suggestions before I start tearing it down?

$800-$1200 per car.

R.P.

68driver
04-04-2006, 08:03 PM
$800 - $1200... Not as high as I thought. I found a local shop, but haven't called for a quote yet.

Time to start searching the archives for tips on removing the dash and other rough pieces. My front subframe is already done and powdercoated.

Any other advise or "lessons learned" would be great.

crazykaese
04-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Redistrip in Easton PA charged me $1200 for a week in the acid bath. The body came back SPOTLESS. Had to etch prime the shell immediately. All the metal was thinner and now those small rust holes were much bigger. IMO it's the best way to go since all of the uglies will be unveiled for you.

GTOConno
04-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Nice car Northern Goat! Looks like all the work paid off. What color is that? .. Awesome.

I paid $1,100 for what you see and the trunk pieces. No front end pieces or frame. The place is called ASCO in Manassas, Va.

I'm going to have the frame hot dipped galvanized as soon as I can pull it out from the body. I'm leaving it until I weld in the trunk and quarter panel patches.

Lessons learned-

Use pieces of 2x4 blocks to shim the body up off the frame. I used 2 blocks where the body mounts were and drilled a 5/8" hole thru them then got a long bolt to fasten the body back to the frame. This doesn't really apply to a F-body though.

The sand gets everywhere. I have bumped on the floors with a rubber mallet (to jar the sand loose) air blown it, vacumed the whole car twice, and two months later sand still falls out when I hammer/dolly it.

More pics.. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2314745

Northern Goat
04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks GTOConno,the colour is a variation on Hot Hues Candy Red, I just changed it a little by spraying a different colour under it.

The sand will keep flying forever. I am working on a 70GTO right now and I think sand came out of it for months after. I seemed to stop just before painting.

I really like the idea of having the frame galvanized.

If you need anything for the GTO give me a shout I may be able to help.

Scott Parkhurst
04-05-2006, 01:46 PM
More Goats !! Kick ass.

Mine is a mere clone, but at least I'll be representing the team!

(PS- a Schwartz chassis is on the way for mine now- Got to harness the power of the 601 Pontiac somehow...there will be a post in the future on the game plan)

~SP~

Roger Poirier
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
More Goats !! Kick ass.

(PS- a Schwartz chassis is on the way for mine now- Got to harness the power of the 601 Pontiac somehow...there will be a post in the future on the game plan)

~SP~

:attn: :attn: :attn: More info about Schwartz chassis please.

Thank you,

R.P.

Northern Goat
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
:attn: :attn: :attn: More info about Schwartz chassis please.

Thank you,

R.P.

What he said.

GTOConno
05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I had the dash rechromed and detailed. I put a real wood veneer on it, polished the lens, got new switch knobs, and cleaned up the guages and radio. It really looks great, all original too.

Conno

Roger Poirier
05-03-2006, 09:36 AM
It's hard to see the difference in the pic. However, having done the same to my own GOAT it gives the car a feel good - new look to it. Keep up the good work. It will pay off in the end.

R.P.

Damn True
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
More Goats !! Kick ass.

Mine is a mere clone, but at least I'll be representing the team!

~SP~

May the Schwartz be with you!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

GTOConno
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I see that your Shwartz is bigger than mine!!