PDA

View Full Version : Staggered Shocks

Norwoodx55
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
69 Camaro.
I am in the process of moving my rear shocks inboard of the frame rails to allow clearence for LS1 brakes. I am considering mounting both shocks behind the axle (un-staggered) to simplify the deal. Anyone have a good reason not to, or some words of wisdom to share? The rest of the suspension; 2"DSE springs, Cal-Tracs, Bilsteins. Also, any idea of how much compression travel I should allow for the shox? I am trying to use the stock height shox. The easiest way I can see to remount them decreases the installed height by 2".
Thanks, Brett

Damn True
02-09-2006, 03:14 PM
two words:
wheel
hop

Norwoodx55
02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
two words:
wheel
hop
I wondered about that. I was thinking(the start of most problems) that between the DSE springs with more front bias, and the C tracs, It wouldn't be a problem. :dunno:

GetMore
02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
The shocks are staggered so the springs don't wrap up as the rear moves up and down. This also reduces wheel hop, as mentioned above.
Since you have Cal-Tracs you may be okay.

Damn True
02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Easier to just use two right side calipers and brackets (like Carl C did) and keep the shock config the same.

Norwoodx55
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Easier to just use two right side calipers and brackets (like Carl C did) and keep the shock config the same.

Does that work with the LS1 brakes too? I have seen it done with the LT1 like Carl C has. Any issues with E-brake hook up when mounted "backwards"?

zbugger
02-09-2006, 05:25 PM
I think you may be ok as long as you're using the Cal-Trac bars. The wheel hop is what they are supposed to control anyway.

Mean 69
02-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I think you may be ok as long as you're using the Cal-Trac bars. The wheel hop is what they are supposed to control anyway.

Maybe, but maybe not. What happens under braking?

I'm convinced there is no "right" answer for this, there is so much dependance upon so many other variables, such as front to rear wheel rates, brake bias, intended use, tires, it just goes on and on. I have further read, heard the folklore, etc, that in addition to moving to a stagger shock in 68, GM also altered the shock rates, making two changes at once is NEVER a good thing to do when trying to sort one particular issue.

Stagger 'em, if you can, it is "probably" worth it.
Mark

David Pozzi
02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
67 Camaros don't have staggered shocks, with good springs, they are ok but with a slight tendency to wheel hop if you get too much rear brake bias or downshift too hard. They are fine under acceleration, again with "proper" rear springs.

But as Mark says, stagger if you can, there will be the odd time it will help.
Without very good leaf springs, like Global West or Hotchkis make, it would be hopeless.