PDA

View Full Version : Body filler with glaze

Milow68
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I was wondering if anybody has mixed glaze in with body filler to thin it out? I am getting close to putting a last coat of filler on the 1/4 of the chevelle to get it super smooth and was wondering if that would be the thing to do? Or better off with just straight glaze?

Thanks
Brad

wiedemab
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm not exactly sure what type of glaze that your using, but we frequently mix creamy filler with regular body filler to get the consistency that we want. It works just fine. I'd just make sure that the products are compatible. We're using "Rage" brand for both (they both use the same hardener) and have never had any trouble with it.

Brandon

Boyd
02-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I've done it many times and it is a common practice in body work, but as a precaution I would only mix glaze and filler from the same manufacturer.

Travis B
02-09-2006, 12:24 PM
it can be done yes I usually use straight glaze when I get that close...maybe I have been missing out?????? I will have to try it

gmachine68
02-09-2006, 03:22 PM
the glaze really should not be used for any filling, more for finishing off the repair and featheregding the 80 grit scratches out to 180 or 220, get body work 98% then glaze, all i use glaze for is to fill the scratches and sand with 180 then urethane prime, i use a metal spreader for this as i put it on then scrape off everything but what is in the deep 80 grit scratches works great and the filler primer loves you for it.

J2speedandcustom
02-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Just Poly it. Some good high build primer heck you can even brush that stuff on!!! It's basically the same as glaze but applies and sands way easier. Plus your starting the blocking process. Just make sure you guide coat and start sanding. :)

69keith
02-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Anyone tried ICING???? I love it.

68fusion
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
I put some resin in with my mud (rage white)to reduce pinholes. When I get it close enough for primer I skim it with metalglaze and block first with 80 then 180. Then use your primer of choice.

ProdigyCustoms
02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I put some resin in with my mud (rage white)to reduce pinholes. When I get it close enough for primer I skim it with metalglaze and block first with 80 then 180. Then use your primer of choice.

Resin will cause bondo to EXPLODE if not use in very limited quantities.

mikey
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM

THere is a resin made spcifically for thinning bondo. I've never tried it though. I found that rage gold works the best (for me anyway). Followed by evercoat metal glaze.

68fusion
02-12-2006, 05:30 AM

:lol: Frank what kinda resin we talkin bout here?
I just add about a teaspoon...

I like rage white cause it is more solid than gold...then you can add just a smig of resin to reduce pinholes...then use it full strength when you need to form something.

Had the rep(Wade) from evercoat in the shop and said that it was otay!

Milow68
02-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Why I asked is because I have some leftover white Rage and that was all I had after work (2nd shift) to work with and forgot how "solid" it was because I have been using the Rage gold with good results. I had heard of people thinning it done but never knew. So I figured I would ask.
Is there a better purpose of metal spreaders vs plastic? I have never used one.
I do have some Icing! That stuff works good!!!!
Frank some exploding mud would be cool!!! :naughty: I thought dry ice in a 20 oz bottle was cool

68fusion
02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Why I asked is because I have some leftover white Rage and that was all I had after work (2nd shift) to work with and forgot how "solid" it was because I have been using the Rage gold with good results.

What ever works ...everybody seems to have a different twist on how they like to do things... If the end result is satisfactory to you then go with it! Just use good quality stuff..ya know you get what you pay for and stuff like that...

shoddy_f-body
02-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I have added fiberglass resin to thin out filler for years and never had any problems (or explosions) The guy who showed this trick to me had been doing it for probably twenty years before that. Well before they even had 'metal glaze'. They used to sell a product called "mud honey" or something like that which was nothing more then resin added to thin out the filler. I dont do it much anymore,i just use the Glaze. Only time i really do it anymore is over a very large area, like if need to skim a whole panel.

customcarpainter
02-13-2006, 04:13 AM
I've gotta agree with J2 on this one.Get the body work straight with 80 and spray a couple coats of poly on it and your ready to block,then reprime with some urethane.