PDA

View Full Version : Need carb/manifold suggestions, for 300hp/350ci.

Rileys68Camaro
10-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Need a new carb. The mechanics stuck an unidentified Eldebrock on my motor after the Carter I had "disapeared"

Anyway, I'm running a GM 300hp 350 crate, with header, MSD ignition and until I learn more, an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold.

Setting up for the protouring/autocrossing and cruising. Currently have a 700R4 auto installed. I don't know the stall speed, or rear gear. The rearend is a stock 10 bolt and it had a 327/powerglide combo so I'm thinking 2.73 rear.

I need something that will work for this combo for now, but I'm going to install a TKO 600 and a a rearend with 3.73 or 4.10 and would like to not have to change the carb or intake when I make the switch.

THANKS!

Zefhix
10-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I'd go with an Edlebrock Performer 600cfm carb and a Weiand 'stealth" manifold. The manifold might surprise you.... :smoke:
If it's mostly to be a street car it should respond well to that combo.

Rileys68Camaro
10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Mostly street and cruising on the highway. Driving hard, but no real racing.

Thanks.

nancejd
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Uh, "disappeared"? Did this just happen to you? Sure sounds like theft to me, you might want to call the police, or at least make them replace the carb you had with the same model.

Rileys68Camaro
10-01-2004, 09:21 PM
It was theft, a while ago, tried all the options. Would have cost me more to fight it. They screwed up a bunch of stuff and did a lot of unauthorized work.

So, now I need a new carb, maybe a manifold. It's for the new style heads with center bolt valve covers, but not the Vortec's.

TurboLark
10-02-2004, 06:39 AM
A performer or performer rpm, with a 650 holley/demon would work fine.

Zefhix
10-02-2004, 09:40 AM
A performer or performer rpm, with a 650 holley/demon would work fine.

Well, consider this. I checked on his motor and it makes peak HP at 5000 rpms then drops off rather quickly. I put his max rpm at 5500 against his 350 ci displacement and got 557 cfm required. I always shoot a little on the high side for improvements hence the 600. Also, the Edelbrock Performer's rated flow is idle to 5500RPM and the Performer RPM's is 1500-6500 where as the Weiand Stealth's is idle to 6800 RPMs (also allowing for improvements). If he slapped a Rhoads hydra-solid cam kit in, it would be one hell of a fun motor on the street.

http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Hydra-Solid.htm

My427stang
10-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Hey, new to the forum and a Ford guy, but if that hasnt ruined my reputation with you I have some advice. If its any consolation, most of my work has been Chevy building the past two years :)

1 - Dont let the RPM ratings of the standard Performer talk you into that manifold, in my opinion its a POS. Its old tech and isnt any better than a stock iron except for weight. The new computer designed manifolds, Weiand Stealth and Performer RPM have better low rpm port velocity and pull harder on top even with a stock motor. We've seen the exact same power curve problems with the Performer on ZZ4's, 289 Fords, 390-428 Fords. Its just an old manifold. I have spend HOURS porting Performers to get them to what an out of the box RPM will deliver and I have personally put a Performer on a big Ford, drove about 50 miles, played with tuning, then pulled it off to put a 30 yr old PI intake on it. It lost power everywhere.

2 - The RPM or Stealth are both super. I prefer the Stealth due to the fact its a bit "different" everybody has an Edelbrock intake, but both make great low-mid range power and pull hard on top

3. For the carb I'd say 600-650 whatever brand vac sec. However, the cheap Holley 1850 has crappy booster design and not the greatest metering. With that in mind, if money is an issue, I'd go Edelbrock or even Q-jet if you can find a good one. However if you want to go Holley-ish, buy a Demon or a Holley HP series, basically anything that has downleg or double downleg boosters. You'll be much happier

Rileys68Camaro
10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks! Maybe I'll keep the Performer RPM and just get a good carb for now. FI is in the plans.

I do wish it had a better water temp sender location though.

69boo307
01-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Keep the Performer RPM, and get a QJet. the Q-Jet will give you better mileage and behavior on the street, and while complicated to tune it is actually an excellent performance carbeurator. There aren't many carbs that have as much engineering and research put into them as the good ol Q-Jet

andrewb70
01-04-2005, 06:18 AM
I can definitely tell you that the Performer is not all it is cracked up to be. The RPM is a better design. Stay tuned, there will be a ton of new stuff coming from Weiand that will kick ass!

As for a carb, you may want to consider a Holley Truck Avenger if you are going to be doing some autocrossing. It is designed to handle the side to side rocking normally found in off road vehicles. This would also apply to an autocross scenerio.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSC/0-90670.html

Andrew