PDA

View Full Version : 9" inch housing breathers

parsonsj
02-08-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm wrapping up the rear assembly of II Much, and I need to vent/breathe the rear end housing. Morrison (or the factory) drilled and tapped a 1/4" pipe hole on one of the axle tubes.

My question: is there a "best" solution to make use of this vent? Should I go with a catch can and breather? Or just a vent? Or what?

What suppliers should I turn to?

jp

wendell
02-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Road race cars frequently run a can/breather in the trunk plumbed w/ enough slack for the rear suspension drop. I don't think you'd have any problem making a clean neat assembly, the rest of the car seems to have worked out OK.

wendell
02-08-2006, 07:22 AM
also,
I think SCP, speedway and Howe offer a generic aluminum catch can.

parsonsj
02-09-2006, 04:52 AM
I see that Morrison also offers a catch can with an attached breather. For a street car, I'd guess that the the breather should not go in the trunk ... but I might have a nice spot for it above the panhard bar.

thanks,

jp

Jagarang
02-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Um....breather...axle...hole....9"....never heard of it? Educate me please...and do I need one of these for my Fab9?

parsonsj
02-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Kevin,

Your Fab9 should have a hole with pipe thread on the top of one of the axle tubes. Without venting, the 9" is famous for seeping because of pressure build up insinde the housing. I think breathers and catch cans are required by most circle track venues. It may be that street cars don't generate as much internal pressure since they run at lower speeds with less heat, but I'd guess you'll still eventually leak fluid.

I'd love to hear anybody else's experience with this ...

jp

Matt@RFR
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
The breather doesn't have to go on an axle tube, it can go up high on the housing too. That's where we are putting ours.

My personal preference is to run the axle vent line to a remote can (sealed) in the trunk, then vent that can through the trunk floor. That provides an easy place to fill the rear end.

parsonsj
02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
run the axle vent line to a remote can (sealed) in the trunk, then vent that can through the trunk floorI like it. I've got some 2" aluminum tubing stashed somewhere ... perfect for a small catch can.

jp

Matt@RFR
02-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Yep, throw a fill cap on the top of the tube, a vent bung out the top side and a bung on the bottom, done.

I end up using round tube for this stuff quite a bit. This is a thermostat housing I built for a friend a couple weeks ago.

parsonsj
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Nicely done as always. Where do you get the fill cap part?

p.s. Post #3000, woo hoo!!!

Matt@RFR
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Ron Davis PN 208601 for $20 with the overflow fitting. :) Nice stuff.

parsonsj
02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Excellent. thanks!