PDA

View Full Version : oil cooling

trackrat79
02-08-2006, 12:29 AM
I am ditching my automatic tranny in my truck for a non overdrive 5 speed manual and was wondering if I could use the secondary cooling loop in my radiator for the oil. I saw the guys on dream car garage plumb thier oil cooling through thier radiator on thier vintage racer corvette but it was an after market piece. Would the secondary pluming in a factory radiator be big enough to not cause oil pressure problems.

CarlC
02-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Nope. Not big enough. For most oiling systems a 5/8" line (-10AN) is needed.

The guys on DCG used the same cooler that is in mine. Spec's are on my website. That Corvette was very nicely put together.

You can have a stock GM oil cooler put into the return side of your radiator. Many radiator shops have the coolers laying around from old radiators and they can be adapted to yours.

trackrat79
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the link. It was very informative. I am in the proces of putting spring adjusters in the back of my truck its a 68 chevy if your wondering. I just got done putting a fuel cell under the bed behind the axle and I fabd an adjustable track bar mount so I can keep the bar level when I change the ride hight. It is going on a savear diet soon to but how is a secret.

BonzoHansen
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Nope. Not big enough. For most oiling systems a 5/8" line (-10AN) is needed.I had the same thought, using an otherwise unused tranny cooler. If the cooler is too small, would that result some kind of restriction and could cause oiling problems, or would it simply be ineffective?

What about using the trans cooler for p/s cooling?

CarlC
02-11-2006, 08:45 AM
It would be too small and cause a system restriction since all of the oil routes through the cooler.

Vibrations in the PS system can be an issue when used with the stock AT cooler. Round tube coolers are preferred. There have been a few people who have done it and it seems to have worked OK for them, but long-term durability is unknown.

David Pozzi
02-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I pulled apart a chevy pickup radiator, it had a copper plate type oil cooler in the hot side tank. The trans cooler was brass.

trackrat79
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
What does that mean if anything.

David Pozzi
02-15-2006, 10:00 PM
It means that if you go to a radiator shop, the copper cooler with large ports is the one to get, at least for a Chevy pickup cooler. If they hand you a brass cooler with small ports, it's for power steering. Not very useful info, I admit! :)

BonzoHansen
02-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks-