PDA

View Full Version : Paint or patch?

HLSASS
02-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Need some help from the team! I have a 67 coupe that I purchased last year. Typical story, it was "near complete" when I got it but the further I got into it, the more I didn't like. I ended up going down to the subframe and totally rebuliding the car. The only redeeming factor was the paint, which was PPG Ferarri Red. I knew it was a backyard job and was actually pretty decent. Now, I have the front end sheet metal off the car and was planning on just painting some black SS stripes on the car and having some things touched up. The roof has a paint defect, the rockers need repainting as they were not finished very well, the sail panels seem to have not been cleaned well before painting as there are slight dimples on the paint. This is not a show car but I have about $40K in it now, top of the line everything. My painter has a good reputation and gave me two quotes:

1. fix all above, re-shoot rockers, roof and panels after prepping, hang all front sheet metal and paint/clear stripes followed by color sanding the entire car. $3500.

2. He said that he could actually strip the existing paint, block the car where needed and repaint it entirely another color for $6500. This was since all the metal was already off the car and since the interior was already painted black recently.

I know I have spent way too much on this car as it has been my first and everything has been done twice (poor planning) but the end result is it will be a great car. I have always liked a black car with ghost stripes and am thinking to simply go all the way, paint it the color I really wanted anyway. However, I may just leave well enough alone and have the other option done.

I know $6500 is on the low end of what to expect and black is a tough color to get to look good. I am planning on a custom black leather interior and have already had the interior painted black.

Long winded, but I'd appreciate any opinions. At the end of the day, this may be the most expensive rebuild on earth! Thanks guys.

Norwoodx55
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
If it were me writing the same post, I think I would already know the answer. Although not the one I would want to here. Paint it black with the ghost stripes. Otherwise, everytime you look at the car, you will wish it was done that way. Now is the time to do it, not after you assemble the car and start driving it. If you have the ability to do it now...do it!

Todds69
02-08-2006, 05:01 AM
If it were me writing the same post, I think I would already know the answer. Although not the one I would want to here. Paint it black with the ghost stripes. Otherwise, everytime you look at the car, you will wish it was done that way. Now is the time to do it, not after you assemble the car and start driving it. If you have the ability to do it now...do it!
I second that!

Happyfunballs
02-08-2006, 06:11 AM
You've got 40K in a beautiful car, what's an additional 3K to make it the way you want it? If it were me, black with the ghost stripes, no question. HOK Silver PBC makes a great ghost stripe.

HLSASS
02-08-2006, 07:10 AM
I think I was answering my own question but it's nice to have it validated. I'm going with black with either ghost stripes or ghost flames. Something I've always wanted. Any other suggestions on paint colors for the black and the ghost? Happy, I've heard that HOK color is good to use as well, thanks for that. Anybody have any pics to gleam ideas from?

Travis B
02-08-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm not really a fan of ghosted stripes and flames on black or other dark colors...it can look muddy at times. But HOK would be your best bet for what you are wanting to pull off!

J2speedandcustom
02-08-2006, 09:01 AM
WoW those are some good prices for painting!!!

Everyone has done black. I would keep it the same red and maybe do a red ghost stripe. Go a couple of shades lighter or darker red, that would be different and look really SWEET!

And was the $6500 including stripes, etc?