PDA

View Full Version : North East guys...seen this?

Damn True
02-07-2006, 12:21 AM
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/index.html

Ralph LoGrasso
02-07-2006, 01:02 AM
There was an online "petition" going around (it was through a local NJ newspaper) for this track / facility a year or so back. I remember voting (it was set up like a poll) in it, in the hope they would actually build the facility. I hadn't heard anything new up until now, but it's great to see they'll be starting construction soon. This will be one of the closest local tracks for us LI guys.

vanzuuk1
02-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Wow, thats really cool. It says jim redman will be in charge and they hope to outdo VIR, which is a beautiful track.

rob07002
02-07-2006, 06:31 AM
That looks REAL cool... Maybe we can get Nascar to come and race there... I'm excited!

CAMAROBOY69
02-07-2006, 06:39 AM
You guys are soo lucky if they build that. My god that looks like an awesome track!! I would love to go on something like that! Our only good tracks in Michigan are Gingerman raceway and Gratton. Gratton is awesome but quite expensive and almost impossible to get onto. Mabey Ralph will actually have Fantom done by the time they finish it around 2011. Sorry Ralph I gotta keep trying to motivate you. :injured: :lmao:

RaceMan
02-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I heard about it awhile ago but didn't think it was that far along it LOOKS LIKE FUUUN to me:drive:

vanzuuk1
02-07-2006, 08:44 AM
they are looking to open next spring, should be nice.

As far as ralphs car is concerned, he did name it fantom, so dont expect to see too much of it. Doh!

nitrovette
02-07-2006, 12:09 PM
and only 15 minutes from me too.

BonzoHansen
02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Woo-hoo! I've read about these country club car things. This sounds like a bigger deal than that.

navyflyer72
02-08-2006, 02:10 AM
So is this track close to completion ow? It would only be about 2 hours from me, so I would be right inbetween VIR and Thunderbolt. SSSWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!

ProTouring442
02-08-2006, 02:58 AM
So is this track close to completion ow? It would only be about 2 hours from me, so I would be right inbetween VIR and Thunderbolt. SSSWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTT!

I thought you were in Washington State?

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
'72 442 "Inamorata"

navyflyer72
02-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Just got orders to Washington DC, back in August, moved in October and bought a house in Jan, but we don't move in until it is finished being built next Oct. In the meantime I have a 6 month school in VA then back to DC. Gotta love the military. I have moved across this country 5 times since I signed on back in 1990. Not to mention the 4-5 other shorter distance moves (MD-FL, FL-TX, TX back to FL, Pensacola to Jacksonville) The list goes on and on.

-George

BonzoHansen
02-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Woo-hoo! I've read about these country club car things. This sounds like a bigger deal than that.

This was the article I read.

http://www.clubmotorsports.com/pressroom/index.cfm?ac=details&newsID=411

Gordz32
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
DAAAAAMMMNNNN!!! Thats awsome, I had no clue they were building that in my Home State JERRRZZEY! I can't wait to get outta school and go check that out!

BonzoHansen
02-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Is Englishtown ever going open their road coarse, or is that dead, anyone know?

AAW
02-10-2006, 04:56 PM
I live only about 20 minutes from the track site. I can try to get some pictures of the progress for you and post them if you want.
Perhaps next weekend...
~Theresa~

BonzoHansen
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Holy old thread, Batman!

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

An update someone sent me.
Motorsports park revs up: Construction could start soon
By JOSEPH P. SMITH
Staff Writer
[email protected]

MILLVILLE -- Gov. Jon S. Corzine gave the New Jersey Motorsports Park project an added plug Friday.

Corzine held a special signing ceremony at the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center for legislation creating the state's first sports entertainment district.

Construction could commence within two months, according to officials.

"It's something that is about economic development," Corzine said. "It's about community development. It's about giving hope and opportunity in the days and years ahead, and I'm proud to sign the bill."

Corzine, who first backed the project as a U.S. senator, said the park should benefit the state as a whole.

"It's going to be a true thunderbolt for the East Coast," he said, a play on words based on the park's Thunderbolt Raceway.

The governor, who arrived in a white limousine, brought state General Assembly Speaker Joseph Roberts with him.

Corzine actually had signed the same bill in his office three weeks ago. Sponsors and supporters pushed for a more public display, though.

The entertainment district is to provide sales tax revenue to cover some of the construction and engineering costs of the $100 million motor sports-themed facility.

That is a key financial component for the park, whose backers hope to break ground in 30 to 60 days.

The park is to be built on about 706 acres at and near the municipal airport in three phases. The project has unanimous support from city government, Cumberland County officials and area legislators.

Lee Brahin, one of three principal investors, sat in on the signing, but did not speak.

Earlier Friday, Brahin said the Federal Aviation Administration still must sign off on using airport land for the park. That is expected shortly.

"There is a small amount of environmental work that will be done through Brownfields funding on Phase I," Brahin said. "That encompasses maybe 6 acres."

Developers are trying to coordinate that with Millville and the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"Ideally, we'd like to close on the property and have those efforts take place in the course of construction," he said. "Nothing in the first phase seems to be major or expensive."

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew, D-1, was a prime sponsor of the bill.

"We have a governor who knows what the bottom line is," Van Drew said. "And the bottom line is economic development."

Corzine said lobbying has been constant, and even annoying.

"I should also mention Freeholder Director Doug Rainear and the irrepressible Lou Magazzu, who is on my case about as much as Don Fauerbach."

Basically, the law allows a 2 percent per item sales tax to be levied on top of the regular state sales tax.

The district falls within part of Millville's Urban Enterprise Zone. Inside the zone, most goods and services are subject to a sales tax half the normal rate of 7 percent.

In the district, goods and services will have a sales tax of either 5.5 percent (3.5 percent plus the 2 percent) or 9 percent (7 percent plus 2 percent).

The money that 2 percent raises goes into an account with the state to be used to defer construction costs.

"The most important part of this is to understand it's only at the airport," Van Drew said earlier in the week. "The people of Millville are not going to feel this."

The law actually is only a guideline.

City officials and developers are headed into talks with the state treasurer to work out a detailed spending plan. Some of the ideas date to the McGreevey administration.

The tax money can not be used to pay salaries, benefits or anything not connected with construction.

"We've given Millville a huge competitive edge," Van Drew said. "It's now up to them to use the competitive edge."

PT Goat
02-20-2007, 06:56 PM
The track is about 10 minutes from me. I haven't been out that way in a while, but last I knew, they hadn't even broken ground. I'd say they are years away if they even get it off the ground.