PDA

View Full Version : Turbo identification

BigBlockOlds
02-06-2006, 07:11 PM
I bought a used turbo to play around with for my 425 but I'm not quite sure exactly what it is. I was told its a Garrett turbo but other than that, know nothing about it other than its huge!

I don't see any A/R numbers stamped on it anywhere but there are a few part numbers. Does anyone know of a website where I might be able to find out more about this?

Here's a picture:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thanks,

myclone
02-07-2006, 03:52 AM
That flat area/pad thats cast into the compressor side is where the ID tag would have been riveted and it would have given you most if not all of the info. With that being said going by the pic the unit appears to be off of a diesel engine set up. The inlet flange configuration, the turbos size, as well as its apparent age are my clues. One other thing that isnt really clear in the pic but it appears to have a huge turbine (hot) side which is common on diesel applications. If it is a diesel application the A/R on the turbine side is WAY up there and would take a LOT of rpm and exh heat/flow to spool it up.

Some more pics may help a more knowledgable turbo guy on here ID it or you may drag it to a turbo rebuilding shop in your area and they could prolly ID it.

Being the curious/tinkerer type guy I am if I got it for free (or close to it) I would cobble something togeather just to see if it would work.

BigBlockOlds
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I got it for virtually nothing so I figured I could give it a try at least and see what happens.
Thanks,