PDA

View Full Version : Plastic inner wheel wells VS. Steel inner wheel wells

John McIntire
02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Is there really a difference in which ones you use? I have steel ones now, but was thinking of getting the plastic ones. Is there any reason why there are both types? Were the plastic ones original back in the day? Or were they made to be cheaper than the steel ones?
What are the benefits of running steel over plastic, or the other way around?
John

dhardison
02-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Reduced weight would be one of the main differences. Have you found a good source for plastic inner wheel wells? I know that Unlimited Fiberglass makes replacement fiberglass wells.

Dan

TPI Monte SS
02-05-2006, 01:22 PM
John, a lot of the later-model cars came with plastic. All the Malibus, El Caminos, and Monte Carlos had plastic inner fenders from '78-'88. It's pretty tough, unless your front suspension allows the wheel to hit them on hard bumps. Then they'll crack. If your front suspension is in good shape, there's no reason not to run 'em; weight savings is a plus, especially if you're putting the car on a diet.

ProdigyCustoms
02-05-2006, 04:18 PM
They used both from 70-72. I have restored some original cars that were one of each. The plastic is lighter, but neither is a substantial amount of weight

Jim Nilsen
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
I have also seen cars with one of each and it was explained to me that the reason for it was that during the strike that was going on back then at GM they had problems getting some parts from some suppliers from time to time and they had to use what they could get and it just happened that making them out of plastic served the purpose to get around the problem.
Whether this is exactly true I don't have 100% proof but the source of my info back in the 80's was pretty reliable about most things.
When looking for body mount cushions that were discontinued in the factory parts books this person was able to find us part numbers to the exact size cushions with a current part number that worked. It was nice to have someone who worked at the factory who had access.

I always wonder how many of the workers are still alive that built the musclecars and why they don't participate in more forums about how they were built and the stories behind things like the strikes and such.

Jim Nilsen

John McIntire
02-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah I didnt think the weight savings wouuld be that substantial. I was thinking that the plastic might be more forgiving, as the steel ones I have are painted black. The plastic i would think, wouldn't scratch as easily, and would be able to flex, and just be easier to maintain.
I think i've seen these plastic ones for sale from Original Parts Group. I don't remember the cost, or the quality of them, as I have never seen them in person. Can anyone here vouch for them??
John

speedster
02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
FWIW, I have asked the boards recently about inner and outer fenders (fiberglass vs metal) for a 1st gen and one of the things I was told is that both the inner and outer fenders affect front end strength/rigidity on unibody cars. The difference in weight is not as much as you would think. Just some more info for you to consider. If you look at Steevo's pictures (streetfytr68) you can see that he trimmed the inner fenders.