PDA

View Full Version : LT1 to Cowl hood cold air intake system?

Samckitt
02-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I would like to use some kind of cold air intake to mate to the cowl induction hood I have for the Monte. The motor is an LT1. I have seen some of the factory GM Camaro SS intakes that could work with the cowl hood, but that piece of plastic usually goes for about $100. Is there anyone that makes these other than GM, or am I going to have to have something fabbed from aluminum?

THanks,
Scot

Samckitt
02-14-2006, 05:02 AM
SLP makes this airbox assy that I am talking about. Includes everything to convert it over, except for the hood. But for the plastic airbox, filter, & hardware, they want $300. They are nucking futs!

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21003

Scot

69Myway
02-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Flip your intake backwards (you can do that on the LT1 with no problems). Once you get it backwards you could fab a cool air box right on the cowl.

Samckitt
02-14-2006, 06:53 AM
Strangely enough, that has crossed my mind. Don't think I will do it though.

JL8Jeff
02-14-2006, 08:51 AM
I tried to put that SS intake setup on my 68 Camaro with a 94LT1 and cowl hood. It didn't fit because it's actually offset to the driver's side and I would have had to cut the hood or cut the airbox. So I just turned around and sold the setup. Check on Ebay for a used one. I think you'd be better off taking a cowl induction air cleaner and finding a way to mount it on the engine to line up with the hood opening. The cut an opening in the side of the air cleaner and run ducting to the MAF and intake to the throttle body.

69lt4
02-17-2006, 04:01 AM
Turning it backwards! I have thought about that, also. Chris any pictures or contacts of someone who has done it?
thanks,
Kevin

69Myway
02-17-2006, 06:03 AM
Turning it backwards! I have thought about that, also. Chris any pictures or contacts of someone who has done it?
thanks,
Kevin
This is a popular conversion when building a V8 Fiero with LT1 power. Here is a picture of one. Notice the throttle body is over the transmission. This works very well on the Fiero as it allows the intake to face the stock Fiero V6 direction.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif