PDA

View Full Version : Speedway Engineering Sway Bar

next69
10-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Has anyone used these bars? I am curious if there are any performance advantages over the traditional bent bars? Also how are they to package, is there much fab. work to be done?

Chevyman73
10-01-2004, 02:21 AM
I've got front and rear SCP bars (1.25 hollow front .315 wall and .85 solid rear) but I am still in mock up phase. It really dosen't look like it'll be too much fab work so far. :icon996:

streetk14
10-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Basically, it's a lot lighter than a solid bar, looks cool, and is adjustable. I'm getting one for my car, but I don't know when I'm going to be under the car adjusting my sway bar though...... :)

zuess4u
10-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I ordered Speedways catalog, I asked for some pics and or cut sheets too, but they didnt have anything to offer. I think this sway bar is much more effective (by design) then any other, but I would like to see just how it mounts, and the where it sits we complete. If anyone of you guys get some pics, Please PM me or post a thread on the suspension fourm. If your not done with in 4 months, then I will have to try it. hahah...Peace

68ls1
10-18-2004, 06:37 PM
There are several advantages to running this type of bar.
1) The biggest benefit would be the ability to get exactly the rate your looking for as opposed to a normal aftermarket bar that comes with whatever rate the manufacturer feels is right for the application. Because changes in weight distribution and weight in general (aluminum small block or heads, battery moved etc...) will affect the desired rate, having a set rate can be a detriment.
2) For me personaly it will be far easier to package than a pre-bent aftermarket bar. Because of a non factory subframe, wheel clearence issues, fabricated control arms...trying to make a 'Camaro' sway bar work wouldn't be worth the headache.
3) Not only can you find bar with the rate you need at the start, the rate is also adjustable. By varying the length of the arm connecting the bar to the LCA you change the spring rate as well. New arms are not required for small changes, simply moving the rod attaching the arm to the LCA will work.
4) They are fairly economical.
5) Mounting is very straight forward.

The only downfall to a setup like this may, in fact, be point number 1 above. Before ordering, time should be taken to calculate what kind of rate would best suit you. The end user actually has to think about what is required and not simply bolt 'er on. Do your research and you'll be happy. Buy the biggest baddest bar just because it looks cool and thats what your neighbors brothers buddy (the one with the mullet) said he would run and chances are you won't.

My .02

Noel.

dennis68
10-18-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't suppose anybody has a pic with a SCP bar all hooked up on a car, specifically the end link mounts? Trying to figure out packaging-having a hell of a time.

MuscleRodz
10-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I do believe Mark used one on the Mule and shows how he installed it in one of the PHR articles.

Mike

68ls1
10-19-2004, 02:57 AM
No pics yet, but I'll be installing mine on the top of the framerail and use a little longer end link. The arms will also be bent to clear my wheel as best as possible.

Noel