PDA

View Full Version : 69' Camaro, Nova 10 bolt rear drive shaft cutting

night_rider_692004
02-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Hello!

I read some articles about this swap. It was not sure, if the drive shaft has to be cut.
Since my measurements this afternoon I think it's necessary. The housing of the Nova 10 bolt is 15 mm longer and the rear end pinion flange is 10 mm longer=> So I have to shorten the drive shaft approx. 25mm ~1". Is there anybody with the same experience?
I think with this dimension I get 1" travel for the drive shaft between tranny and rear end => Is this ok or too much? (I think this was the dimension before. I was able to pull out the shaft by loosening the pinion shaft U-bolts)

Thanks for any help!

OHCbird
02-05-2006, 12:31 AM
What year Nova did that come out of? The 68-74 housings are a direct bolt-in, with the 71-74 housings being of the 8.5" variety.

Also- what trans & axle combo did you have, or currently have?

MrQuick
02-05-2006, 01:42 AM
They are dimentualy the same but may have different pinion yokes. Try the shaft to see how much room you have. Most of the time the shaft will come out pretty far. It may work. Or you can cut a 1/2" 12mm-13mm off of the output yoke.

I was able to pull out the shaft by loosening the pinion shaft U-bolts can you elaborate?

night_rider_692004
02-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Hello!

My current setup is a LT1 with 4L60 => So the drive shaft is shorter. I had to cut it for the last changes.

But with the hotchkis leaf springs in place and the 73' Nova rear (If I have the right decoding) there's no room for the drive shaft to move.

But it's not very surprising, because the yoke is longer and the housing of the axle in comparison to the stock 8,2".