PDA

View Full Version : 200r4 in 73' Nova

PT73Nova
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Hello everyone. I own a 73' nova with a goodwrench 350 crate motor and stock th-350. I got a free 200r4 (or 2004r which ever one prefers) from a buddy out of a 88 caprice with 70,xxx miles. Im just looking for info i need to swap this tranny into my nova. I know my crossmember will work be will need to be moved back. I know my driveshaft is fine. I heard i need a new flexplate. Is this true? I would like to know how i can wire up the OD. Can i reuse my prostick shifter and if so what mods are needed to make it work? What is a good tv cable to use? Any others than BTO? Any other info that any1 would like to share would be awesome. Thank You

Sean

vintageracer
02-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Lots of information out there on this swap. Check "www.bowtieoverdrives.com" for information concerning TV cables, adjustment, install tricks etc. Look over at "www.Turbobuick.com" for additional information as these guys really make the 2004R work! By the way the Buick Grand National 2004R is unique and considered the best of the best. 2004R's are not any cheaper to build over a 700R4 but are a better transmission.

rocketrod
02-03-2006, 01:27 PM
What is the code on the transmission id plate on the passenger side of the tailshaft. The reason I ask is because the valve bodies vary and this is what controls your shift point at WOT, 2-1 kickdowns, etc. While the BF transmissions bring in big $$, a CZ or CQ code trans, found in 84-88 Monte Carlo SS, have better shift points @ around 5500rpm and probably better suited for your application. If the code on your trans doesn't match one of the bolded entries on the table in the link listed below you may want to think twice about putting it in your car.
http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

In addition, how much HP/TQ are you pushing and how are you going to be driving this car: drag, street/strip, street only, because a stock 2004R will not last long.

As for the install it sounds like you have most things covered. You shouldn't have any issues with your flex plate bolting up if you have the correct torque converter.

I've heard good things about the BTO tv setup, but most of the 2004R builders recommend the GM tv cable.

Haven't yet purchased a lockout kit, but the guys at www.Turbobuick.com can anwers all your questions.

vintageracer
02-03-2006, 02:58 PM
If you are out looking and can find a turbo Buick guy with a stock "D5" torque converter he has removed, see if you can buy it cheap. They have a 2400 RPM stall speed which is much higher than a regular 2004R or a Monte Carlo SS/Hurst Olds stock converter. This will work great with a 350 V8 Chevy.

A lot of Buick guys go for aftermarket 2800 to 3200 RPM stall converters and remove perfectly good D5 stock converters. Depending on the modifications, raising the stall really helps those turbo cars. I currently have 3 Buick Intercooled Turbo cars and they are a ball to drive. They run 11's/low 12's and get 25 MPG with the A/C blowing at 70 MPH!

PT73Nova
02-04-2006, 06:39 AM
I checked the tail and found the letters CT and then a F at the end. There isnt any numbers so it says this is a 86-90 tranny which is correct because it came from a 88. Will this be okay behind mu goodwrench 350? It has a est. 280-300HP and 350-380lbs. Stock 350, XE268, rpm air gap, 600 edelbrock. Thanks

Sean

rocketrod
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I checked the tail and found the letters CT and then a F at the end. There isnt any numbers so it says this is a 86-90 tranny which is correct because it came from a 88. Will this be okay behind mu goodwrench 350? It has a est. 280-300HP and 350-380lbs. Stock 350, XE268, rpm air gap, 600 edelbrock. Thanks

Sean
This is a loaded question. The trans you have has 70,xxxx miles on it, your going to put it in front a mildly built SBC, probably closer to the 300-320HP range, and you will probably put a slightly higher stall converter in front of it, say 2000ish. You can always try it, but I wouldn't get my hopes, especially if you can't keep your foot out of it.

If your mechanically inclined I would rebuilt it myself. For about $500-$900, depends on parts selection, you could build a trans that would last. That would not include a torque converter.

I would also suggest you spend some time on the www.turbobuick.com board, read up on 2004r and post some of your questions there. Several of the top 2004R builders in the country post there and are more than willing to offer free advice and many of members can also anwer your questions. For starters read this thread
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31365 and then once your done do a search on 2004R in the Transmission section.

Hope this helped.

http://www.ckperformance.com/stg_200R4.html
I

It is really going to depend on how you drive it and what stall you run. In its current shape you will have to keep yourfoot outif you drive it \ with a D5 converterform I would

blown69nova
02-04-2006, 08:58 AM
I had a 200-4r in my 69 for a couple years. The cross member you need is a th400 (with a little clearancing for th pan), it will bolt right up. The driveshaft from a th350/ powerglide will fit perfect (no need to shorten). Your flexplate should be fine. Get a tv cable from lokar, they work good. Good luck, Steve