PDA

View Full Version : mini tubbing a 69 camaro questions..

Moose
02-03-2006, 08:46 AM
If I decide to do a mini tub, is this a job I should try and take on myself? or should I leave it to a pro?

I'm decent at mechanics and have a brother who is great welder to help in that regard.

also should I narrow the rear or just get new rims to with better backspacing? I have 17 x 10's now, I think I could squeeze a 315/35/17 tire on those for now. But may upgrage to the 18 x 12 for the 335 tire in the future.

I goal is to get the car to come down about 2". but right now i think the tires will rub.

baz67
02-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Yes you can do it yourself. I know that was the first major sheet metal job that some of our members have done to thier car.

You can go either way with your rims. The best way is to get the BS in the center of the rim. That way you will put the least amount of stress on your bearings.

Fell free to do a search in here or the Body Shop forum because the minitub has been discussed many times. You may find all the information you are looking for.

Moose
02-03-2006, 11:55 AM
thanks Brian.

I did search but didn't see any novice info.. but I only did it suspension section. I'll widen the search.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-03-2006, 02:19 PM
If your brother can weld and you've got some patience and mechanical skills, then by all means you can mini-tub the car yourself. It's really not all that difficult, more time consuming and tedious (drilling out 234 spot welds).

The only thing I would advise against is a 315 on a 10" wheel. Most manufacturers recommend atleast an 11" wide wheel. You'd be better off running a 295 or 305 for the time being.

Moose
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
If your brother can weld and you've got some patience and mechanical skills, then by all means you can mini-tub the car yourself. It's really not all that difficult, more time consuming and tedious (drilling out 234 spot welds).

The only thing I would advise against is a 315 on a 10" wheel. Most manufacturers recommend atleast an 11" wide wheel. You'd be better off running a 295 or 305 for the time being.

is 3 weekends allowing enough time? I was reading on some posts of 20-30 hours, and then upwards of 50+ hours..

Not in huge hurry, but saving money is what I really need. LOL

baz67
02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
That would be working solid to get it done in that time. 40 hrs is about right for a first time.

datsbad
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
That would be working solid to get it done in that time. 40 hrs is about right for a first time.

DAMN ! 40hrs?? DSE says 80 hrs. I would love to see this done in 40 hrs. !

save your self sometime and dont do the driling , there is another way !

Ralph LoGrasso
02-03-2006, 08:28 PM
is 3 weekends allowing enough time? I was reading on some posts of 20-30 hours, and then upwards of 50+ hours..

Not in huge hurry, but saving money is what I really need. LOL

I've got about 30-35 hours in my mini-tub, but I did not install the rear cross member. I'd estimate that would be about another 4-6 hour job. There was also two people working on the car at all times (when I was welding in the tub, my Dad was cutting the close outs, etc.) so that cut some time off as well. However, I did not remove the rear end when mini-tubbing my car (I needed to be able to roll the car into and out of the garage; I minitubbed it in my driveway) so that also caused some more time to be needed. If you work 8-12 hours days then you should be able to get it done in 3 weekends, especially if you divide the work up between you and your brother.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM

With some paint and body experience the mini-tub can definitely be done in 40 hours or a little less; 80 hours sounds high -- maybe this is for a painted car where extra care needs to be taken? Also this may include removing the old rear, leafs, etc, and installing all the new stuff with the offset shackles, etc. I'm talking strictly fab work.

datsbad
02-03-2006, 08:59 PM
i beleive DSE knows there stuff. how could they not cut there time in half ? what about the rear seat time, paint, etc...

MrQuick
02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
definitely be done in 40 hours or a little less HEYYYY you tryin to put me out of business??? LOL your could rush one in 35-40 but it could cost you later. Proper 45-50. Jason, hush on that short cut! :ssst: heeeheeeh

Damn True
02-03-2006, 11:55 PM

C'mon, that's like saying, "Oh I got a story about Vince in Vegas" and then not telling us.

Drop some knowledge my man.

baz67
02-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Oops, I forgot I have not put in the crossmember yet. That would add a day or so to the mix. Sorry, my bad. I guess I should work on the damn thing every once in a while.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-04-2006, 01:48 PM
HEYYYY you tryin to put me out of business??? LOL your could rush one in 35-40 but it could cost you later. Proper 45-50. Jason, hush on that short cut! :ssst: heeeheeeh

My tubs were installed the proper way; like I said, I'm talking strictly fab work. I did not modify my rear seat (another 2-3 hours?) as I will not be using one, I did not install the rear cross member (3-link), I didn't install offset shackles, new leafs, rear, seam seal anything, paint anything, etc. I consider the latter, finish work. From start to finish, I would probably be into it for 45 hours or so. Keep in mind, this is with me and my Dad doing the work, Dad was a bodyman for 10 years. If it was just me working, I'd probably be into just the fab work for 40-45 hours. Four hands are better than two, LOL. Plus, us New Yawkas work fast, we're fueled on coffee, LMAO. :poke:

SHANE's Body Shop
02-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm mini tubbing a 69 T/A by a inch & a 1/2 to the rails and flaren the 1/4,s out an inch,it's alot of work.