PDA

View Full Version : Project Novacane...got some eye candy today!

Novacane
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
We'll I guess these projects just move in bursts! I could of sworn it was Christmas today! I just recieved a my long awaited custom sheet metal intake manifold for the project ,as well as some of my 1 3/4" 321 SS tubing, needed to fabricate the twin turbo exhaust manifolds. I have held off on fabricating the firewall ,and surroundings ,pending these items as they are components that consume the engine compartment space.

I was going to build the headers out of mild steel as mock ups and then send them to be duplicated but decided to just go for it. This should give me a challenge as well as pick up some time on the schedule.

The spinning assembly is at the machine shop getting balanced and hope to start assemblying the short block within two weeks. I am a bit on hold with the cylinder heads as we are awaiting AFR'S new 225cc LSX cylinder heads. I was lucky enough to get short listed for a set as less then 40 sets will be crapped out this first round which are expected in three weeks.

With the headers getting closer and the intake in hand, it will also open up the fabrication of the intake plumbing as well as exhaust down tubes etc...

I have held off with the floors and related areas until I get the motor shaked out. It's like sitting in a corner of a round room! :seizure: Just don't know where to start!

Here is a pict of the new intake!

protour_chevelle
09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Nice! I need more money.

-Matt

Ralph LoGrasso
09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Nice intake! Who makes it (LS1 Speed)? Matt(RFR) and I are considering building one for Fantom, and having someone do the final porting. That's really going to put the finishing touch on your engine and engine compartment!

RobM
09-30-2004, 08:04 PM
coming from some one who truely doesnt know, what makes a sheet metal intake so good? (other than the fact their really friggen cool looking) i would think you would have far less room to port to maximize the flow?

Novacane
10-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Unless you have at least 420 cubic inches or forced inducted, the sheet metal intake is ONLY cool! In this application this particular intake is worth some big power, PLUS it looks cool!! We have dynoed this intake on N/A motors with less then 380 ci an it only picked up 20 HP on the top end.

We have tested a few other versions of this intake and this was the only one that didn't loose any low end power. The runner lengths are very "tuned" to achieve this. Its hard to tell from this picture but the runners are tapered in two planes.

As far as porting is concerned it is not needed. When you get the opportunity to make an intake from scratch you can do it right the first time.

colt zantop
10-06-2004, 08:05 AM
that is gonna look sharp! nice job!

colt45