PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I would like to lower my 1968 Chevelle (big block) and make it look and handle more like a pro-touring car. My plans are to get some 5-spoke 17 or 18 inch rims and drop the car down to get it a sporty stance. This would be my first suspension project on the car to move toward the pro-touring look, so I'd like some of your opinions/knowledge on this subject.

I'd like mine to sit a little bit lower in the rear than the one in this picture, but this is pretty close to the look I'm after...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/membe...99/794855_2.jpg (http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/794000-794999/794855_2.jpg)

I assume those wheels are 16" or 17", so the wheels would be a little larger too.

Would lowering springs and new shocks give me the look I'm after? Do you recommend any specific type/brand? Do I need drop-spindels to achieve the look I'm after? What is the advantage of coil-over shocks (if any) and would they be appropriate for this project?

I'm just looking for a starting point and any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

phoenixdawg
02-02-2006, 11:20 AM
how about the TVS system from hotckis new rear leafs 1.5", 2" lowering springs in the front, all new front suspesion hardware. Throw on a set of Bilsterins all around and call it good

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the tip Phoenixdaeg...My car has springs all around, no leafs, but I'll look into the TVS kits from Hotckis and see if they have a system for my application....

6'9"Witha69
02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
They do. I have a friend who did it on a '70. Handles much better. Remeber to redo the Control arm bushing (front). Hotchkis rear arms come with the kit. Another thing to consider is changing your body mount bushings. This also helps a lot. It probably won't sit as low as I think you want it to, but it will look good. Chevelles are big so an 18" or 19" wheel looks really good on 'em.

TonyL
02-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Dont forget to upgrade the brakes on your car, those big wheels are alot harder to stop rolling as well.

/I'd also recommend The Hotchkis kit as well.

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 02:13 PM
6'9":

Thanks for response. I looked on Hotchkis' website that kit looks nice. However, my goal (on my current budget) is to get the stance and tire/wheel combo together first, so at least it'll look how I want it to. Most of the suspension and brake components will come later, when I can get some extra cash together.

Do you think this is a good approach, or should I just save until I can afford to by all new suspension components, along with shocks, wheels and tires? I will be sure to do some planning if I piece the car together, but I just don't want to f-up anything by buying parts that don't work together.

What do you think about QA1 coil-over shocks? I don't know much about them, but have heard they might help lower the car how I'd like.....?

jjl4004
02-02-2006, 02:14 PM
By the way...I'm 6'8"...how do you squeeze into your Camero?

6'9"Witha69
02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
VERY CAREFULLY! It's not that bad, and it means I don't take back seat passengers.

zbugger
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I doubt it's that bad getting into his CamAro, let alone that other car you mentioned....

Sorry, pet peeve. :hammer:

phoenixdawg
02-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I would go suspension and brakes first, then work the tire/stance question.

zbugger
02-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I would go suspension and brakes first, then work the tire/stance question.
Close. Remember that wheel size limits brake size. When the wheel sizes are figured out, you can get the brakes. And you have to make sure that your brakes have proper clearance behind those wheels as well.

jjl4004
02-03-2006, 09:38 AM
I have looked at the Hotchkis setup and was wondering if anyone else had other recommendations. I've also looked into Global West...anyone have an opinion on their products?

CAMAROBOY69
02-03-2006, 09:44 AM
I always suggest cutting the front coils and de-arching the rear leafs for those that are on a budget. I have been extremly satisfied with my budget lowering results.

Travis B
02-03-2006, 09:57 AM
I always suggest cutting the front coils and de-arching the rear leafs for those that are on a budget. I have been extremly satisfied with my budget lowering results.

he is on coils in the back..I think they are pig tail coils as well so nothing other than drop springs will work for the rear...i also second cutting the stock springs to get the desired look!

This may be out of you price range as far as what you are wanting to spend but the air ride tech stuff is really nice as well.

oh and glad to see you made it over here from club hot rod!

CAMAROBOY69
02-03-2006, 10:01 AM
he is on coils in the back..I think they are pig tail coils as well so nothing other than drop springs will work for the rear...i also second cutting the stock springs to get the desired look!

This may be out of you price range as far as what you are wanting to spend but the air ride tech stuff is really nice as well.

oh and glad to see you made it over here from club hot rod!
If he has coils in the front and rear then he can lower his entire car for free. :headbang: