PDA

View Full Version : Torque Boxes, Subframe Connectors & Rear SwayBar... too stiff?

MrAngry
01-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi guys -

Been pondering over my suspension set-up in my 68' Dodge Charger and need some questions answered. I am really trying to get this big boat to handle better - it actually handles good now but I would like to improve it more - basically to the point where the car will handle great on a road course. I would like to do these mods by the end of Feb. so I need honest opinions on this please - remember this is a BIG car.

This is my set-up right now - underneath it is what I would like to do, but again, I want it set-up for handling but I don't want to make the car SO stiff that it is overkill. Please let me know what ya'll think.

Right Now:
Front:
- 17x9" wheels with 255/45/17s
- .96 Torsion bars up front
- KYB Gas adjust shocks
- MagnumForce Racing adjustable tubular upper control arms
- Hotchkis 1 3/8" swaybar

Rear:
- 18x10" wheels with 285/40/18s
- Pre-lowered Hemi leaf springs with 1" lowering blocks

Proposed:
- Replace KYBs with Edelbrock IAS shocks
- ART Torque boxes and Subframe connectors
- Hotchkis rear 1" swaybar

Possible getting rid of the 17s up front and getting 18s made to even out the rake

Thanks guys.

David Pozzi
01-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Don't the IAS shocks have a groove/grooves on the inside of the cyl to bypass fluid and soften the rate at normal ride height? I've heard they are not supposed to be installed at other than normal ride height.

I'd look at Bilsteins or something adjustable.

Norm Peterson
02-01-2006, 05:00 AM
David - you're probably thinking of Monroe SensaTraks. Not a good choice for sharp handling even if installed with the car at the correct ride height because of the intentionally reduced damping in that region.

Edelbrock IAS shocks feature an inertial check valve that switches between two different rebound curves depending on whether that corner of the chassis is rising or that wheel is falling into a hole. More discussion can be found in this Corner-Carvers thread (http://corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25535&highlight=Edelbrock+IAS+shocks). Going off memory, these devices have been pitched more toward truck, rough road, and off-road audiences than for paved road course work.

MrAngry - Ditto re: Bilsteins/something adjustable; alternatively you might consider Konis or possibly shocks revalved to work with your "spring" rates. Hard to say anything about whether it's all going to be too stiff, not knowing any of the spring rates, bar dimensions, or the tolerance for ride stiffness by those who will be driving or riding in it.

Norm