PDA

View Full Version : sand blasting

muthstryker
01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
i was wondering what you guys think would it be better to spend 1500 to get it sand blasted or rent a machine from the rental store and have my dad do it for much cheaper? or would i risk possibly screwing up the body doing it that way?

matt

astroracer
01-31-2006, 04:12 AM
It sounds like you are new to sand blasting... :smoke:
Sand blasting makes a huge mess if you don't have the facilities. I will still tell you to do it yourself. Buy the equipment and get a full suit, it is an investment, and you will have it for anything else you need to do. DO NOT do this inside a building... Do it in sections so you can keep stuff primed to reduce rust flash. If you use a low pressure with silica sand or walnut shells you will not warp the panels. it takes a lot of pressure and heat to do this and a home style blaster can't generate enough to do any harm...
Mark

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 05:17 AM
If you use a low pressure with silica sand or walnut shells you will not warp the panels. it takes a lot of pressure and heat to do this and a home style blaster can't generate enough to do any harm...
Mark

I very disagree. I have seen some metal destroyed by low pressure blasting. I am a huge advocate of blasting jams, panel edges, firewalls, floors, etc. but otter sheetmetal WILL warp. i don't care how much pressure you use.

vintageracer
01-31-2006, 05:25 AM
Take Frank's advice, do not do a sheet metal body as your "debut" at sandblasting! Parts such as subframes, rearends, brackets etc are fine since you probably cannot screw that up.

$1,500 is OUTRAGEOUS pricing for sandblasting a body. That's even high for media blasting. Find another blaster!

CAMAROBOY69
01-31-2006, 05:34 AM
I agree $1,500 is rediculous for sand blasting!!!! I hope that included disassembling the car, priming it, and putting it back together. Thats way too high.

astroracer
01-31-2006, 06:10 AM
If you use a low pressure with silica sand or walnut shells you will not warp the panels. it takes a lot of pressure and heat to do this and a home style blaster can't generate enough to do any harm...
Mark
:slap: Just my experience guys... Sorry!
I've never had a problem blasting fenders,doors or roof panels and won't hesitate to do it again if the need arises... :jump:
Mark

Rubes
01-31-2006, 06:33 AM
:slap: Just my experience guys... Sorry!
I've never had a problem blasting fenders,doors or roof panels and won't hesitate to do it again if the need arises... :jump:
Mark
I wish I knew your secret! I ruined a perfect 55 chevy trunk lid thinking that I could just do the underside web supports with low pressure. But just the stuff bouncing off that (I never directly hit any of the flat sheetmetal) put two big warps in the panel. It was obviously my technique since it has been proven to work before, and although I hate discouraging anyone from expanding their talents, I would think long and hard before proceeding (I guess 1500 bucks makes it easier to decide though).

BTW, I read somewhere that its not the heat that does the warping, but the "peening" effect that stretches the metal on one side causing it to bow in that direction :dunno:

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 12:50 PM
i think i might check into chemical dip there is a place down in portland oregon that does it my cuzin who is a body guy said it would be much much better.

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 01:08 PM
ok well i just called 3 places down in oregon and none of them chemical dip car bodies. do any of you know of a place maybe close to the washington area maybe in cali??

matt

Damn True
01-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Why don't you call Wayne Due and see where he has that sort of work done. The stuff that comes out of his shop is top-notch. He must be working with some quality vendors.

96Z28SS
01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
I had my car done at Media Blasters in Portland Oregon on S.E. 82nd Ave.

They did the whole car inside and out $750 . They did an amazing job nothing is warped and you could actually see on some body panels the tooling marks when the panels were stamped.

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 03:53 PM
i called wayne due he gave me the number to the guy that does it for 1500. and he said he doesnt work on cars anymore just build frames.

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 03:54 PM
i think i might call media blasters.

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 04:04 PM
just got off the phone with media blasters, the guy seemed pretty cool i think ill go with them thank you.

matt

ProdigyCustoms
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
Dipping is a bad plan also unless they have a primer dipping vat also. Chemical dipping will remove everything, everywhere, in places you will never get primer again, short of dipping. You made the correct decision with media blast.

Rubes, I had a customer get screwed good on a swap meet hood, primed, and "only the frame had been blasted". It looked like a pencil tracing of the underhood struture when we scuffed it.

Rubes
01-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Dont even need to scuff mine...can see it pretty good. I dont know if it will be esier or cheaper to find another one or have this fixed :hammer: Oh well, I was young and stupid...now I'm just a little older and a little less stupid. I found a soda blaster in the area...I think Ill try that this time.

96Z28SS
01-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Dont even need to scuff mine...can see it pretty good. I dont know if it will be easier or cheaper to find another one or have this fixed :hammer: Oh well, I was young and stupid...now I'm just a little older and a little less stupid. I found a soda blaster in the area...I think Ill try that this time.

I was told to never get a car dipped cause its nearly impossible to get the acid out of every crevice, When they clean it to neutralize they never get all the acid and panels start to rust from the inside out. and like Frank says it impossible to get all the exposed metal primed unless you e-coat dip the car.

Thats just what I heard my 2 cents.

muthstryker
01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
the guy at media blasters said 1000-1250 since its such a big car (67 GTO) that is every thing all the panels and under carriage, inside and out.