PDA

View Full Version : Whew hew!! I finally bought a vise! Yes I know..pathetic.

CAMAROBOY69
01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
After all the fabrication in my life and I have never owned a vise. :hammer:
Well finally I went out and bought one. I picked up the 6" Craftsman vise from Sears. I broke a couple of my friends heavy duty vises so I figured I should get a Craftsman that way if I break it I can return it for a new one. My girlfriend and I had such a huge smile as we walked out with it. Soo with that said....Wheeww hew I bought a vise. :headbang:
FOr my birthday I think my girlfriend is getting me a 6" or 8" bench grinder. I havent decided if I want the bigger one or not.

TonyL
01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
congrats on your new Bearing press/anvil/break/clamp/extra arm/vice.

One of the best tools ever.

how many other uses for the 'ol vice are there? anyone?

Ralph LoGrasso
01-30-2006, 12:59 PM

gearhead paper weight? lol

OHCbird
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM
"random object tensile strength tester"

"ooops I bent that bracket correction device"

"Damn, shoulda bought those soft-jaws!"

Adam- do the above ASAP. Get either the alum or the magnetic/ poly units from Columbia (sold at finer Home Depots everywhere). Your __________ will thank you.

CAMAROBOY69
01-30-2006, 01:30 PM
What are the "soft-jaws"? Are those the pieces of copper or aluminum that you put in the vise so it doesnt damage metal?? I think I remember using those in high school when we put aluminum or softer steel items in the vise.
Had to add to the list..
U-Joint installer with the help of a couple sockets.

ProdigyCustoms
01-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I have had lots of vices for many years, blonds, cars, boats, all bad vices.

TonyL
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
custom distributor wrench, or any "L" wrench maker....

toxicz28
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
A torture device / head (on shoulders) press, ala Nicky Santoro

Nicky Santoro: Listen to me Anthony. I got your head in a f***in' vise. I'll squash your head like a f***in' grapefruit if you don't give me a name.

I know, I'm a little :screwy:

Ralph LoGrasso
01-30-2006, 08:34 PM
"You see what you made me do..."

brickyard69
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I just like the fact that your girlfriend was as excited as you were.

Can she call my wife?

homerneedspeed
01-30-2006, 10:36 PM
the craftsman vices only have a 1 year warranty, if you want a lifetime warranty go with a columbia or a wilton vice. in addition to being stronger than the craftsman vice and having a longer warranty, you can buy replacement parts for the wilton.

Rick Dorion
02-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Vice is nice :)

I have the aluminum softjaws and plastic. The aluminum is good for AN fittings. I think mine is out of summit(?).

CAMAROBOY69
02-01-2006, 08:22 AM
I just bolted mine up last night. Now I will just have to find a way to bolt the entire table to the wall so I can beat the heck out of it without my table moving. I also started cleaning the garage and started painting the walls.
Gotta do something while I wait for parts to arrive. :)
I hope thats not true about the "only 1 year warranty for Craftsman vise" I havent checked on that yet but hopefully thats not true.
Yes I also managed to smash my finger really bad last night while beating on the new vise. :hand:

TEDDYS CAMARO
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
OUCH!!!:banghead:

McssGmachine
02-02-2006, 09:55 AM
LOL, I don't have a vise either. I go down to my neighbors house and use his.

Brian

Norm Peterson
02-04-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure any more just how many different vices I've bolted down to the corner of my bench. I've broken a couple, one of my son's friends killed another, . . .

One of the little guys has had a small piece of tube steel welded under the movable jaw for balance - mostly so I can use it anywhere on the welding table.

Norm

Kenova
02-04-2006, 02:53 PM
congrats on your new Bearing press/anvil/break/clamp/extra arm/vice.

One of the best tools ever.

When my boys were smaller, they would crush Hot Wheels in my vice. I'd find wheels, windshields, and bits of pot metal all over the place. You should see them cringe when I mention it now.
Ken

myclone
02-04-2006, 03:37 PM
FWIW...

I HATE the soft jaws I bought from jegs/summit that are magnetically held to the vice. The magnets are WAY too weak and the aluminum jaws are always falling off. Do your sanity a favor and pick up the brass/copper covers that actually clamp over the back of the vice jaws since they wont fall off if you look at them wrong.

JoshStratton
02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I know I am a little late, but I always wanted to use this....

:postpics:

CAMAROBOY69
02-21-2006, 04:11 AM
I dont have any pics because, well its just a vise. However I have been using it every time I enter the garage. Making all the pieces to my exhaust would have been a nightmare without it. :woot:

Kenova
02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Making all the pieces to my exhaust would have been a nightmare without it. :woot:
Yes, a vice does a better job of holding parts than the wife or kids. :)
Ken