PDA

View Full Version : Ls2

Van B
01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Picked up my engine yesterday. I can't wait to get it in and stomp on the loud pedal. I have attached a photo and dyno sheet.

For comparison sake, the iron big block LS7 I took out made 480 HP and 410 TQ at the rear wheels, so it was probably somewhere around 565 and 480 at the flywheel. The LS2 is about 300 lb lighter and makes more torque and about the same HP.

I know some guys will give me grief for going with a carb instead of EFI, but the budget needed to be cut somewhere.

Having trouble sizing the dyno sheet will post it when I can figure it out.

parsonsj
01-29-2006, 07:08 PM
572 hp ! Damn. That's with stock bore and stroke?

Those boys at Wegner seem to know what they are doing. I'm hoping for more of the same!

jp

WS6
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
i dont know, i think its pretty damn cool to see carb converted LT and LS motors. noone does it hardly so its something different. sounds like this one is gonna be a blast to drive.

Kenova
01-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Your BSFC numbers are damned impressive too. Used to be, if you hit .500, you were doing good. (where's the old geezer smiley?)
Ken

DB Z28
01-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Thats Realy nice you should be realy happy . They do realy good work I feel one of the best shops around. I just might have them work on my LS-7 when I get it. Hopeing soon maybe by them they will have more cams out for mine.The weight savings alone will realy help out.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Great numbers, Jeff. What are the specs on the motor? Heads/cam/etc?

Van B
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Kenova-Pardon my ignorance, but what is BSFC? I am not familiar with that term. I see that column on the dyno sheet, but ???

Ralph-I forgot to get the cam specs and part # from them, but will be finding out tomorrow. The heads are a custom CNC LS6 head that they designed in house. If you don't already know, Wegner Motorsports supplies several Busch and Craftsman Truck teams with their engines, so their cylinder head work is state of the art. Lower end is pretty much stock LS2. The dyno pulls were done with a 750 carb, mine will have an 830 CFM Holley. The carb guy at their shop said power and torque will be a little better with the carb I am getting.

JP-I saw your engine sitting there, but really did not have any time to look at it. What is the update? With 427 c.i., (63 cube advantage)yours should put up some impressive numbers! :worship:

Kenova
01-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Kenova-Pardon my ignorance, but what is BSFC? I am not familiar with that term. I see that column on the dyno sheet, but ???:
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. This measures pounds of fuel per horspower per hour. :rolleyes: I think I got it right. It is a measurement of how much fuel your engine needs to make one horspower over one hour.
This is the first time I've seen (or noticed) BSFC figures for an LS engine. I guess that explains how they are able to make stupid power and still get obscenely good gas milage on the highway.
Ken

DJW32
01-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Is the bottom end stock? If so, those numbers are great.

Van B
01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Stock bottom end. All the magic is in the heads and cam.

DJW32
01-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Van b,
Do you have any video of the engine dynoing(sp)?

Steve1968LS2
01-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Stock bottom end. All the magic is in the heads and cam.

What size cam?

Im getting to tweak on my LS2 and I'm curious :)

who's heads?

pretty cool numbers!

Van B
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
DJW- Sorry no video of the engine on dyno. I wanted to be there, but was traveling on business and couldn't be there when they ran it.

Steve- I am working on getting the cam mfr. and specs. The heads are done by the builder http://www.wegnerautomotive.com

Damn True
01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Is that a top mounted AC compressor?

A little 411 on that please.

Where are you putting your coils?

Van B
01-31-2006, 04:53 PM
They CNC their own brackets, but I am not sure if they will work with stock fuel injection because of throttle body placement. Best thing would be to check out their website and then give Dan a call and see what will work.

The coils/ignition get bolted to the back of the intake behind the carb. I will look when I get home to see if I have a picture of the setup.

29od1
02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Van B,
How much was your entire motor combo?

OHCbird
02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
VanB-
Those are great power #s, in the right spot.

Kenova-
I noticed the same thing; those are very nice BSFC #s. Just goes to show you the LSX can do more with less...

...and the Vortech 6... :fingersx:

Van B
02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Van B,
How much was your entire motor combo?

I don't quite have the final bill. I have given them $10k so far and have yet to settle the final details, such as carb, headers and ignition. The original number we threw around was $14k carb to pan with headers and ignition. They will do pretty much anything you want, as complete or incomplete as the customer desires.