PDA

View Full Version : power steering and donuts

Maxoctane
01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Me a a friend were out doing a couple (seriously like only 2-3) donuts in his 97 Chevy 1500 truck. Right after that the power steering was just gone. No noise from the pump, no change in fluid level. The power assist is just gone. WTF happened?? Any one experience this? Any help is mucho appreciated cause I'm the one who has to fix it (cause, um, I talked him into doing donuts in the first place).

justforfun
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
replace the pump & don't lock the wheel when doing donuts next time.

not an uncommon problem.

protour_chevelle
01-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Yup, while you were enjoying the squeeling rubber your buddy was pullin the wheel as hard as possible. KILLS the pumps when you do that. You know when your in the parking lot, you crank the wheel all the way, once you hit full lock, turn the wheel just a tad the other way, saves your pumps.

One of my biggest pet peeves. Grocery parking lot and some mom is just reefin on the wheel to no suprise, a desperate sounding PS pump and no increased turning radius....

-Matt

6'9"Witha69
02-01-2006, 11:44 AM
PS pumps in trucks are more prone to go out than the same pump in a passenger car (my experience) based on the same principle. Trucks are bigger and you end up at full lock more frequently while parking (never mind donuts).