PDA

View Full Version : Green Flag Open Track at Laguna Seca in March!! Mark your calendars.

mpozzi
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
March 25-26 at Laguna Seca Raceway (still can't get the hang of calling it Mazda Raceway) for some ground pounding fun!!! I think the site's back up and running . . . www.greenflagdriving.com, so take a look for more information. For entry forms, email [email protected] and they'll send you one.

Only 45 slots available so get your form in soon.
92 dB (measured at 50 feet from track edge) maximum sound limit.
$325 per day or $650 for both days (Saturday and Sunday)
Let's try to get a few P-Ters and their cars out there for some excitement and fun. Perhaps a inaugural West Coast Pro-Touring dinner as well. Either way, we'll all have a good time.

sinned
01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Way too much money for me (I can run Speed Ventures, pay for fuel there and back, hotel, food, and timing rental with change for 325.00), a group with too many cosmetic rules for race cars (More of a group for nostalgia cars than anything else; even NASCAR will let you run with busted fenders, loose nose piece, duct tape, etc...) Catch you guys at one of the more "budget friendly" events.

David Pozzi
01-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Speed Ventures just ran Laguna a week ago, but I believe the price was about the same, probably due to the cost of track rental.
FYI a very nice C5 ZO6 hit the wall coming out of 4 and flattened the front end big time.

Damn True
01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Aww man I'd like to go.

Kathy's birthday is the 25th. Can't convice her to go to Laguna Seca that day.....maybe Sunday though?

CAMAROBOY69
01-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I hate you guys! I DREAM of some day being able to drive my car at Laguna Seca. Kinda hard to do when im in Michigan. : :hammer:
Oh well at least we have Gingerman raceway and Gratton.
Have fun guys. I still wish some of you would get me some videos from the Laguna seca events. I would be more than happy to host them for you.

Damn True
01-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Go to google video http://video.google.com/ and enter "laguna seca" last time I looked there was 9-10 in car videos. Fun to perve out on.

CAMAROBOY69
01-27-2006, 10:37 AM
I guess I should have been more specific. I would like to see videos of members from this site on Laguna Seca. :)
I will even host the ones I like.

mpozzi
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Hey CamaorBoy69,

I'll try to get some footage of my ride-along victims screaming in fear trying to claw their way out. Keep trying to convince them that it's so much easier to go peacefully in your sleep and not kicking and yelling like the other passengers in my car . . . just kidding, of course.

Yes, Laguna's pricey and I'm glad it's only once or twice a year. The other tracks out here are much more reasonable for open track days. Hope some of the P-Ters can make it out for a day or two.

Mary

Damn True
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Mary,

Just noticed the '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer in your sig line.

I didn't know you guys had a T/A car! Got any photos of that?

David Pozzi
01-31-2006, 11:29 PM
True,
Not of it actually moving under it's own power.

Damn True
01-31-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd still like to see it. You know how nuts I am about those things.

CAMAROBOY69
02-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Hey CamaorBoy69,

I'll try to get some footage of my ride-along victims screaming in fear trying to claw their way out. Keep trying to convince them that it's so much easier to go peacefully in your sleep and not kicking and yelling like the other passengers in my car . . . just kidding, of course.

Yes, Laguna's pricey and I'm glad it's only once or twice a year. The other tracks out here are much more reasonable for open track days. Hope some of the P-Ters can make it out for a day or two.

Mary
David I would love to see any of your in-car or out of car videos from Laguna Seca. Of your car, your friends cars, anything. I would even host them on my site for you.

David Pozzi
02-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I never did any in car videos before, we just bought a camera mount so will try to get some, but the camera is Hi 8 and I don't think I have a way of getting it into digital form.

I do have a couple of handheld (jerky) Quicktime video clips from ButtonWillow I took with my Sony Digital camera.

True,
I have some photos on my web page of the 69 but they are before it was painted red and the flares are smaller now.

Orngcrush69
02-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I might show with my brother's car if I can find time to fix all the things he broke at the last Greenflag at Buttonwillow

mpozzi
02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
What'd he break??? If I remember correctly, that car did pretty well and was fast, too. You guys did great!! And I don't want to hear about "That Mustang" ever again . . .

If Dan's wife wants to drive, I'd be more than happy to ride with her. I'm only running one day so will be free for the other.

Orngcrush69
02-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Ummm, he tried to put the throttle pedal through the firewall and broke some'um, and the radiator has got to have a hole in it 'cause there was no water in it after the day. If anything I'll show up for the margaritas and to see you guys run...and there's no way I'm going out there in the Chevelle with all those walls.(lol)

David Pozzi
02-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Dave,
The throttle pedal pivot that bolts to the firewall is made of plastic on a 68 up camaro. 67's were metal. It's held in by two screws, the ears probably broke off due to a large foot mashing on the pedal... :)

Damn True
02-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Ummm, he tried to put the throttle pedal through the firewall and broke some'um, and the radiator has got to have a hole in it 'cause there was no water in it after the day. If anything I'll show up for the margaritas and to see you guys run...and there's no way I'm going out there in the Chevelle with all those walls.(lol)

Those walls are FIA spec, a long way from the track with HUUUUGE gravel pits in between.

David Pozzi
02-04-2006, 12:29 PM
True, not trying to bust your you-know-what's, but there are walls you can easily hit t Laguna.

The photo is of a Z06 that crashed at turn 4 Laguna Jan 06 open track day. Probably ran wide on exit hit the rumble strip and the tail got out, which pointed him into the wall, WHAM! happens a lot at Laguna.

Use a later apex point and this won't happen.

Damn True
02-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I hear ya. I have to remind myself from time to time that my perspective is based on motorcycle racing. This time you reminded me. Thanks.

I have no intention of driving @ Laguna or Sears Point until I REALLY know what I'm doing in the car. The penalty points are much less severe @ T-Hill and Buttonwillow.

David Pozzi
02-04-2006, 08:20 PM
If you just do a simple runoff on corner exit, there are gravel traps to slow you down. If you walk around the track, you will see some skid marks where someone got off the track on corner exit but spun to the inside of the turn instead of running off the outside. Probably a combination of too much power and hitting the rumble strip kicking the tail out and turning the car into the corner severely, and - BANG! hit the wall.

No less than Teo Fabi in an Indy car did the exact same thing in turn 4, and I think he got hurt doing it.

If you late apex the turns at Laguna and Sears Pt you will do fine.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
If you just do a simple runoff on corner exit, there are gravel traps to slow you down.

David, I've always wondered what kind of damage is done when hitting a gravel trap at speed. I'm sure any damage is better than wrapping your car up in the wall, but is it mostly just minor stuff or are the rockers, bottom of the car, etc. severely scratched?

The only drawbacks of the east coast tracks is they're extremely unforgiving, you screw up and you're in the wall.

sinned
02-04-2006, 10:25 PM
I can answer this one....tons of mess but no substantial damage. You'll be picking rocks out of your brakes and suspension for weeks after and the interior will never be the same, it just doesn't seem to want to get clean.

Ralph LoGrasso
02-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Denny. Cleaning / rock picking is no fun, but it's definitely better than substantial damage.

Orngcrush69
02-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll fix the throttle and throw some bard's leak in the radiator....I'm sure there is plenty of room around the track just not enough for the Chevelle.

David Pozzi
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
The Laguna Seca gravel traps have been deepened to 18"! This was done for the motorcycles who bring a LOT of money to Laguna Seca. They also added "Tiger Teeth" rumble strips to many areas of the course, they are less severe than the car versions but can disturb your suspension enough to cause trouble if you are hard on the power.

Luckily I don't have any personal experience with the walls or gravel traps.

Orngcrush69
02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Dave...It sounds like you're try'ing to get that Chevelle on the track:poke:. Although I'd love too, She's retired!!!????:sleeping:

David Pozzi
02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey that Chevelle would look cool in the corkscrew!
Say, how's Dan doing?

Orngcrush69
02-06-2006, 04:02 PM
It would look cool, Dan's getting better everyday, but he's getting bored sitting at home. Hey Dave, what day are you running?

David Pozzi
02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Mary's running Saturday.
I'm pit crew...
Tell Dan I said Hi, and to hang in there.
David

Orngcrush69
03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Can't make this one guys, I've gotta wedding to go to...but it's in Monterey. I will stop by and see how you are running at the track on Sat. morning!

Damn True
03-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Mary's running Saturday.
I'm pit crew...
Tell Dan I said Hi, and to hang in there.
David

You driving on Sunday?

David Pozzi
03-06-2006, 10:04 PM
No, Mary may transfer to Sunday if it's raining Sat.
I may enter the Lola in a Laguna Seca Charity event Apr 4th. It's a tuesday event but unlimited sound!!! :-)

Damn True
03-06-2006, 10:11 PM
No, Mary may transfer to Sunday if it's raining Sat.
I may enter the Lola in a Laguna Seca Charity event Apr 4th. It's a tuesday event but unlimited sound!!! :-)

Here's to unmuffled v-8's!

David Pozzi
03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Mary's switched to Sunday, because the weather looks better.
David

Orngcrush69
03-22-2006, 07:17 PM
We'll see ya on Sunday!

David Pozzi
03-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, Mary had a great day!
The car ran well and Mary got better and better as the day wore on. Weather was super! :)

We put on the new Khumo 710's and Mary reported they were MUCH better than her street tires.
She got the brakes too hot and lost pedal height again. We need brake ducts BAD.

I used the data acquisition system for the first time. I need to study up on the software part, now that I have some data. Her best lap time was with True riding shotgun, a 1:59, cornering G's were just at or above 1G

I have a nice pic of her cornering hard at turn 11 that I'll post when I get it scanned.
Dave, Dan,True and a fiew others stopped by and made it a fun day!

Damn True
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
As always, it was great to see you and Mary again! Kathy says that the next time (if it's warm) she will definitely be there. I have to break her of the assumption that this is a guy thing (I told her about the other women drivers; The girl with the GT350, the Sunbeam tiger, the 4th Gen Camaro, the spec Miata and the Porsche), and that it's a redneck thing (you don't get the mullet factor at Laguna Seca that you do at an NHRA event).

Again, I was reminded that I need to forget everything I know about getting a motorcycle around a road course. A car is TOTALLY different.

David Pozzi
03-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Here's a pic of Mary and True at turn 11 Laguna Seca.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2006/03/Maryt11_laguna06-1.jpg

Damn True
03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
The car looks like it's cornering pretty well eh?

David Pozzi
03-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I need to review the data, but it shows over 1.1G's here and there. :)
If I knew what lap they took the photo, I could tell you exactly how many G's the car was pulling! :rolleyes:

wendell
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
It should be noted that Mr Pozzi owns both a Can/Am and a Trans Am car. 1700lbs inverted wings w/FI big blocks! 2600lbs camaros w/ 550hp DZs! HE IS OFFICIALLY LIVING THE DREAM!!! I think that any one responding to one of his posts should preface it with a >:hail: . Maybe PT could open an new section of the forum just for him. He could tell us stories about the baddest big bore racing the world has ever know.

sorry I came unglued for a minute. It's been a long day in the cube. I'll try to play it cool from now on.

David Pozzi
03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Wendell,
TAKE IT EASY! :)
Actually it's a 1700 lb weber carbed 550+ hp Can Am but the big block guys leave me in the dust!

The TA car hasn't run since I've owned it, - it's taking a nap on some jackstands. I've got the engine longblocked and most of the parts for it.

I HAVE vintage raced with some of the most awsome Can-Am cars and drivers that ever existed!
Porsche 917-30, orig driver was Donnohue
917-10 driven by Folmer
Shadow BB twin turbo!
Lola T222, orig driver Dave Causey
McLaren, M8F driven by Denny Hulme!
Lola T260 driven by Jackie Stewart
McLaren M6 Coupe, driven by Bob Boudurant
Brian Redman, can'r remember what he drove, I think a T-70

the cars listed as "driven by" actually had those drivers in my race!

wendell
03-30-2006, 05:23 AM
It's only a SB Lola. I guess it's still cool...?

PM'ed

Orngcrush69
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I was intimidated by the track, that's why I didn't bring my car, but just watching... it would have been a great day!!!

David Pozzi
04-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Especially turn 4, it got another car at that event, a Ex Bondaurant school Mustang. You really have to be cautious all the time at that track.