PDA

View Full Version : Logo Help for RaceHome.com

TonyHuntimer
01-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

I need some help from some friends. I'm going to revamp my website and have some products (besides my books) in mind to offer, but I don't want to do it until I address my biggest obstacle.

Besides needing to update images and videos, I've been needing to change my logo or the lack of a logo. I've been racking my brain for a long time on what to do about it. I've had a couple of people give me ideas for a logo but I'd hate to jump to a decision too fast, since a logo is a big deal. Look at McDonnalds M, Pro-Touring.com's musclecar, Chevrolet's Bowtie, Apple's apple...etc. A logo is a huge impact. It marks a company. I've even had some artists say they would design a logo for me, but it seems they have always been too busy to fit me in as a client.

This is where you guys come in. I know there are hundreds of talented minds here on Pro-Touring.com. Who do you go to for logo ideas or artwork for logos? It's kind of stupid...I'm a talented guy. I should be able to do this myself, but I can't. I'm too close. I need some external influence and help.

Thanks for any input or info to help a brother in need.

Sincerely,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

TonyL
01-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Mc Bride. hands down.

Desmond is tooooo busy and expensive.

zbugger
01-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Tony, call me. I'll have my brother-in-law draw something up for you. You just have to let me know a little about what you really want in it. Besides, it's what he does for a living.

TonyL
01-23-2006, 07:02 PM
And what does "racehome" mean?

home for racing stuff?
Race home? As in a race to get home?

Think about what you want your logo to "say" by implying it. Not by using the words.

Im seeing an engine in the middle of 2 checkered flags in my head.

zbugger
01-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah, as a plus for my bro-in-law, you can come in and sit with him and help design it yourself. I think we spoke about it before. He's usually got some good ideas. You still got my number? It's worth a shot.

TonyL
01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
i was bored.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

just got a new photo program. but you get the idea.

KrisHorton
01-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I'll second the vote for McBride. He does really nice work on logos. Check out the Lateral-G and Lateral Dynamics logos. Very cool.

TonyHuntimer
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks Tony & Allen,

The name racehome.com is pretty basic. It's a homepage for car racing stuff. Videos, books, pictures, and links. Even though I have not changed the website in a while... :spank2: I am still getting an average of 380 first time visitors and almost 2000 page loads a day.

With the right logo and my future plan, I could do something more with my website.

I can't have an image of a Camaro or anything else in the logo to keep it legal for printing and merchandising. Larry is lucky enough to have an artistic version of =wink wink-- a musclecar...even though I'm not sure what kind of a car... wink wink. A musclecar is something I'd like to incorporate since that's mostly what's on my site, but it's not set in stone.

Fresh ideas are welcome. I'd like some more raw ideas before I sit down with an artist. :)

Thanks guys,
Tony~

TonyL
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
you could do a filmstrip, with racing type images in each cell of film
you could do a start/finish bridge with the site name on it with cars racing underneath.

uhhh. you could put the logo on a generic racecar, and show it from the angle of the camera being mounted low by the back wheel looking right down the side of the car as it corners (racey feel to it,)

I got a million of em.

woody80z28
01-24-2006, 07:20 PM
I like to do logo work, I'll do somethin up quick and post it.

Edit: here's a quick idea. I know you're probably not concentrated on just drag racing, but this can be expanded easily without being too complicated.

TonyHuntimer
01-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I think it should be something simple. Something easy to get machined onto a valve cover or turned into a sticker.

Do I really need to put the ".com" on the end? Thoughts?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome

woody80z28
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
You don't really need the .com, but if the logo will be used on anything other than the site it's an easy way to let everyone know the web site address without adding in an awkward looking url.

TonyHuntimer
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Oooh. That's cool! These are great ideas.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome

woody80z28
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Here's a version that would be easy to machine or turn into a sticker... I thinkn the staging lights are still recognizable.

DarkBuddha
01-24-2006, 08:23 PM
A couple general thoughts...

First, definitely include the .com on the logo somehow. I hate it when the company name and the website address aren't the same. But worse than that is when the company doesn't indicate the proper website address at all. Since you're primarily (only?) a web based business, you definitely need the .com .

Second, think about your customer base... your logo can help you target a select group or a broader group based on the imagery you use in the logo. For example, in Woody's logo above, the light tree is really a trigger for guys that drag race specifically, but a checkered flag might be more "universal" in it's imagery. Then again, what about the import crowd??? Do you want their money? What imagery would they find appealing? Most probably don't even know what the hell the yellow-yellow-yellow-green means...

Finally, keep it simple... Macdonalds, Apple, Chevy, Nike, Shell, etc... those logos are dead simple... one simple image, unadorned. That works...

Now, how to incorporate all of this??? Hell if I know... good luck though.

trapin
01-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Tony...I've always wondered about the interpretation of "RaceHome".

Does it mean, "The Home For Racing" or "Race On Home" as in "Race Home To The Garage" or something like that?

sorry.....just thinkin' out loud.

TonyHuntimer
01-25-2006, 07:51 AM
Tony,

That's a good question. I originally wanted it to be a homepage for all sorts of racing videos and pictures. As with most things it has changed over time, but to me it still remains a homepage for racing and cool car stuff.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Nine Ball
01-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I designed the LS1TECH logo by making about 10 different ones and letting the members vote on them. They liked the basic ones that make for good decals, just like you mentioned.

Keep is simple. Keep it legible.

CAMAROBOY69
01-26-2006, 04:31 AM
Tony H,
Once you decide on a logo and you want some laser cut stainless emblems, keep me in mind. :twothumbs

vanzuuk1
01-26-2006, 04:43 AM
As a rule of thumb, a logo shuold look good in black and white, simpler is better.Look at all the big companies, coke, pepsi ford etc.

I really like the xmas tree logo.

TonyHuntimer
01-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey Woody,

What font are you using on that logo? I like it. :)

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

woody80z28
01-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Haettenschweiler

The proportions are modified in the logo though, It's skinnier normally.

vanzuuk1
01-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Buddha , I didnt mean to parrot what you said about logos, I skipped your post somehow

Nine Ball
01-26-2006, 05:37 PM
As a rule of thumb, a logo shuold look good in black and white, simpler is better.Look at all the big companies, coke, pepsi ford etc.

I forgot about the b/w rule. If it is kept simple, it can also be used for some nice cut-vinyl decals and such. Here is our basic logo that we use for decals, shirts, ads, etc... Guys like having them on their cars too.

TonyHuntimer
01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I wish I had my computer unpacked. It has my art program.

I want to use the same text, but use a cone as the "A" and the a cone knocked down on the end of raceHOME so the . (dot) can be the tip of the cone and the "com" can just be on the cone.

How does that sound?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

CAMAROBOY69
01-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I forgot about the b/w rule. If it is kept simple, it can also be used for some nice cut-vinyl decals and such. Here is our basic logo that we use for decals, shirts, ads, etc... Guys like having them on their cars too.

off topic: Tony W. you have an exciting e-mail. :)

gchandler
01-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Tony you should look into wordpress.org as a potential software backend for racehome.com. I use it for Hotrodhomepage.com and driftlive.com. The beauty of the software is that it allows you to concentrate on content and not have to worry about the labor of building new pages all the time.

If you like what you see and want some help setting something up, or just getting pointed in that direction, just give me a call.

woody80z28
01-28-2006, 08:14 AM
I want to use the same text, but use a cone as the "A" and the a cone knocked down on the end of raceHOME so the . (dot) can be the tip of the cone and the "com" can just be on the cone.
Sorta like this?

woody80z28
01-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Here are a couple more I was messing around with. A tach can be drag racing, road racing, autocross... anything...

TonyL
01-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Loveing the tach one. (the non italic'd one) But im thinking the tach needs a redline. even if the redline area is blacked out. it'll look more tachish.

Good job on the cone one.

TonyHuntimer
01-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Those are pretty cool. I unpacked my computer and made this.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

zbugger
01-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Tony, I wonder if you could lean the letters to the left, like it's leaning while going around the cone. It may make the logo look more "active".

woody80z28
01-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Those are pretty cool. I unpacked my computer and made this.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com
Ahhhhh.... that's what you meant by the dot coming from the cone. I like it.

Damn True
01-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I think if you italicise the text but have the "O" tach nice and straight you will have 'er dialed.

TonyHuntimer
01-29-2006, 01:07 AM
I'll have a few different logos to post tomorrow. I'll let everyone judge which one they like best.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

TonyHuntimer
02-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Well,

Here is my latest try on the new logo. I really liked the idea of using a tach in the "O", but the shift pattern lends itself better as the initials... R H.

What do you think?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

woody80z28
02-19-2006, 12:36 PM
The shift pattern is the best idea I've seen yet. Brilliant!

I think that logo would work even better with the RH shift knob to the left of raceHOME with a normal O. And the RH logo could be used by itself when the whole name is not needed. Nice work.

23corner_blitz
02-20-2006, 12:01 PM
I think that logo would work even better with the RH shift knob to the left of raceHOME with a normal O. And the RH logo could be used by itself when the whole name is not needed. Nice work.

3 different looks with the RH shifter. 2 of them follow the raceHOME look with a lower case r

Matt
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a few ideas... lemme give it a go, gimmie a week or so :)

I was art director for a few, and put in a lot of work on others.
examples
http://hidefweb.com/
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (we went with the one at the bottom, needless to say.)

woody80z28
02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
#1 and #3 look great. The 2nd one is pretty good, but it's less readable and doesn'f flow nearly as well. I also think the capital R looks better in the shift pattern. I'd also leave it b/w, no need for the red.

TonyHuntimer
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I had thought of running the logo with a red R and H, but when I print, it will be black and white. I want to put a little space between the H and the leg that goes to the R. A single color will be easy and cheap to print on a white or black background.

I'll add those examples to the chioces for voting in about a week.

Additional ideas are also welcome. :)

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Jim Nilsen
02-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi Tony, I like the shift knob idea and when I first saw it and read the stuff about it maybe being used as just the ball itself it made me think that you could put the letters H O M E in place of where the 1234 would normally be and all by itself it would say R HOME which would be kind of cool in itself.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

Jim Nilsen

23corner_blitz
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Tony, I like the shift knob idea and when I first saw it and read the stuff about it maybe being used as just the ball itself it made me think that you could put the letters H O M E in place of where the 1234 would normally be and all by itself it would say R HOME which would be kind of cool in itself.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

Jim Nilsen

TonyL
02-20-2006, 10:36 PM

Steve Chryssos
02-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Well,

Here is my latest try on the new logo. I really liked the idea of using a tach in the "O", but the shift pattern lends itself better as the initials... R H.

What do you think?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Looks real good. And way better than my idea which was to get some of those "Homies" figures and do sort of a "RaceHomies" theme. :pat:

If you are still unsure about your design, consult with John McBride at MidniteOctanedotcom. The small tweaks he made to our log made a huge difference. Here's our new logo.

trapin
02-22-2006, 08:10 AM
I like this one the best. Keep it simple.

The problem with the shifterball version is that the other text is italicized and the ball is not. It looks out of place. I wouldn't do italicized lettering anyway...it's so outplayed.

Matt
02-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I have an idea.... I'll mock it up tonight, and have it posted. Been really busy.

...so the website is racehome, yeah. But considering your book, I've kinda been thinking it should be more like "Tony Huntimer's Race Home" Plus it's the way I've always read it in your sig.

-Matt

Matt
02-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm having a hard time getting what I want down... annoying me.

...but what I was thinking.
-simple racehome text.
-your signature as the main focal point.
-no additional graphics.

why?
-Markets you along with the site.
-Simple look allows more for changes down the line.

only con I can think of ... pain to make die cuts stickers from it.
Since I don't have my tablet anymore (I was doing so much project management stuff I all but stopped drawing stuff like that) I think I'll sketch it and scan it to get the idea in.

1970cuda
02-25-2006, 03:51 PM
i like the shifter one

TonyHuntimer
02-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Okay guys,

Here are the ones I have so far...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

TonyL
02-26-2006, 11:38 PM
i like #6 from the top. says to me "this is racehome.com and this is our logo."

Damn True
02-27-2006, 02:07 AM
Agreed, #6

trapin
02-27-2006, 05:07 AM
I like number 7. In number 6 the shifterball doesn't really play a part in the logo...it's just added on in the end. In 7 the tachometer display flows nicely as the "O" in Home.

Jim Nilsen
02-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I wonder what #1 would look like with the O black with white shift pattern? Or one other ones like 6 & & with a wider circle band around them. I do like 6 but 1 also is nice. Or #7 with #3 init with a wider outside band? Still more work to do to get it perfect but it is getting close.

Jim Nilsen

sg69
03-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Here is my attempt at it. What do you think? i just took the tach theme and worked it around a little.

sg69
03-04-2006, 09:24 PM
couple slightly different

TonyL
03-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow. Those look great. I like the first one you posted up.

the B/W one is great too. Home run.

trapin
03-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Oh yes...that 4th one is KILLER!!!

Awesome! Tony....look no further. I think this debate is over.

Great work SG69!!!

TonyHuntimer
03-05-2006, 05:48 PM
SG69,

That's awesome! Great thinking outside the box!

You have mail,
Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Larry Callahan
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Very Very cool SG69!

TonyHuntimer
03-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Okay guys,

I modified SG69's awesome logo... opinions...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Bill Howell
03-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I like the next to the last one Tony. Killer logo. I need to hire this guy. :twothumbs

zbugger
03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
I like the 4th one down Tony. And it's easy to print too.

Piet
03-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Number 4 for me also....

trapin
03-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Number 4....it's perfect.

oldzzy
03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I say # 4 as well! That's killer looking!

Jim Nilsen
03-09-2006, 11:01 AM
I like both 3 and 4 alot and then I saw something that could be cool too! Instead of a tach or shifter ball you could put a stop watch look to it?
No matter what I like the way it looks and think you could do like Detroit Locker did and have more than one for people to choose from to display.

You could also make the shaded area on the right side to be clear and have the body color of the car or what ever you put it on show thru and have a black & white reverse for darker color cars?

If I had to really choose only one I would go with #4 since it has the short logo in it and would allow you to use it as a short logo in the future.

Jim Nilsen

TonyHuntimer
03-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Well,

Here are different itterations of #4.

I've had suggestions to move the tach upwards, beacuse the logo reads "RACER ME" at a quick glance.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

JohnnyGMachine
03-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I like #3 the best. Not sure if I like the red and blue letters - what if the letters were blue or a gray to white gradient anthe needle in the tach was red and the ".com" was red?

Just a thought,
John

SWEEEET logo by the way, very clean and the tach is a nice touch - think the tach looks cleaner than the shift pattern.

steve g
03-10-2006, 05:38 PM
From a former creative director, I say #3 is it.

woody80z28
03-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I still think you need to start with B/W and go from there. What do you think of these?

sg69
03-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Hey all, I'm back from a nice relaxing cruse out to sea....NOT(love the USN;) )

Anyway here are a few new ones i did up....coloe and B/W.

sg69
03-16-2006, 11:44 AM
a little red, white and blue too

sg69
03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
One more and i think i'm done for the day......

Ralph LoGrasso
03-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Wow. Tony, I think you're going to have a lot of thinking to do. Some excellent designs in here.

TonyHuntimer
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
WOW! Those are cool too.

I'm still leaning towards this modified version of Eric's original... Hmmmmm

I think it will be easier to cast into aluminum parts.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com