PDA

View Full Version : Ronracer's 68 Camaro RSx

Larry Callahan
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Wow, I had a blast today along with Zbugger going to check out ronracer's '68 Camaro. Talk about a nice ride. While it's not quite complete (less some interior and dialing in) it is a very very nice ride. And quick too. For a 302 it pulls really hard. I guess that could have something to do with the turbo chargers I guess. lol

What's that... a 302? For those of you not familiar with Ron's car it is powered by a twin turbo small block Ford. You can check out more of Ron's car by visiting his web site by clicking here (http://users.adelphia.net/~rderaad/index.htm).

Since Ron only lives a few miles from me I hope to go visit it more and pick up a few more ideas for my Camaro. I can't wait for the next ride!

What do you think Allen?

67Sally
01-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Damn..........I gotta see that car in person some day. Nice car Ron.
W.

Blitz
01-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm gonna go pout and feel sorry for myself now.

steemin
01-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Very cool.
I like the "Boss" paint scheme.
Its about time someone paid back all those guys that put Chevy powerplants in Fords. :poke:
Scott

slck6t9
01-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Man I LOVE that car and would truly hate to see one of those bikes fall. Again GREAT car Ron..

Scott

Matt@RFR
01-22-2006, 08:17 PM
A Ford motor in a Camaro! I love it! (for perspective, I have a bowtie tattoo'd on my left inner bycep)

Ron, thank you so much for reminding me that there are actually people that build cars for themselves, and do whatever makes them happy.

jack67rs
01-22-2006, 08:29 PM
It's been a long time since we seen that car in sheetmetal form, man it sure is turning out nice. keep the pictures coming, thanks Larry!

Ralph LoGrasso
01-22-2006, 08:37 PM
That car is looking better and better. What's the name of the blue?

MrQuick
01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
almost looks like grabber, yea? Sweet Ron, nice to see it done...ish. I bet Allen was shaking due to the ford powerplant.

zbugger
01-22-2006, 11:34 PM
What do I think? Heh... I had to change my pants, and not because I crapped them, cuz I didn't. DAMN NICE CAR!!!! Outstanding ride, although hitting the road dots is fun, and it only starts to pull hard around 4000-4500 rpm. Sad thing is that because of the slight fuel trim issues, it's limited to 5k rpm. Oh do I want to go for a ride when that is fixed. When done, it should be a gem. And Vince, I loved that car. Don't matter what's under the hood.

Man I LOVE that car and would truly hate to see one of those bikes fall. Again GREAT car Ron..

Scott
Heh... Funny story about that.....

zbugger
01-22-2006, 11:36 PM
....What's the name of the blue?
Reminds me of what the Blue Man Group paints itself.

RSX302
01-23-2006, 11:02 AM
Larry & Allen, It was great to have you guy's come over. I had a good time.
It's too bad that I needed the rev limiter at 5K for now. It pulls twice as hard with no end. E-Ticket ride....Next time....

Ralph, The paint is called Bright Blue from Mitsubishi (Lancer EVO)
I did make my adjustments to it. I guess its now called ronracer blue. :rotfl:

The 50# injectors run out quick at the lower fuel pressure. In order to achieve max power at 10 psig of boost(7K+rpm) I need the to fuel pressure set at 75. The down fall with a low compression, destroked 302 engine, its a killer around town, this is at the standard 43psig. I've needed to drop the pressure down to 28 to be tolerable. This is the pitfall of high horsepower Turbo engines. The computers can only adjust so much.

With the rail pressure at 33psig,(28psig in vacuum) the 50# injectors start running out at 550hp. This is occuring at 5Krpm. Add another 2krpm at 10psi of boost, It's very fun! I will set the rail at 75psig (65 across injector) and this will support 778hp at 95%DC.
The Cartech FMU will give me the 28psi at idle and 75 at 10psi of boost.
I was also considering a secondary injector set-up if I go with more power.

speedster
01-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Ron-
Your car looks incredible ! :seizure:
That blue really P O P S.
..and that's a really nice fanbelt you have there too, what kind is it ?
(Just kidding)
That 302 should rev up incredibly fast - very cool.
How does it sound with those side pipes and the Turbo ?
I know it's hard to describe a tone, but does it compare to something else?
Cool car.

6'9"Witha69
01-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Funny thing, I can understand the Ford motor (Like Matt, I too have the bowtie on tattoo'd on my arm) but the BOSS stripe turns me off. Other than that the thing is friggin sweet! That blue is awesome and the detail is incredible. Time to go stare at my parts list like it will buy itself!

Ralph LoGrasso
01-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Ralph, The paint is called Bright Blue from Mitsubishi (Lancer EVO)
I did make my adjustments to it. I guess its now called ronracer blue. :rotfl:

LOL. Well the color makes that car stand out even more, excellent choice.

Reminds me of what the Blue Man Group paints itself.

:lmao: You're right it kinda does, heh.

DJW32
01-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Ron,
the car looks great! How did you fit the 335's? Did you role the lip? Any help would be great. thanks

Damn True
01-23-2006, 02:28 PM
The car looks fantastic, and I love the fact that he used to TT Ford motor that he already had.

trapin
01-23-2006, 05:30 PM
18x10's.......ON THE FRONT!!!!! :jawdrop:

That's killer.

DAMN I love 68's.

......I wonder why. :razz:

RSX302
01-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Ron,
the car looks great! How did you fit the 335's? Did you role the lip? Any help would be great. thanks

Mini Tub and roled lips.

MuscleRodz
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Nice to see you finally got the Camaro done. Looks awesome. How do the C5 mirrors fit. They look good on there and I am planning on doing the same thing.

Mike

RSX302
01-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Nice to see you finally got the Camaro done. Looks awesome. How do the C5 mirrors fit. They look good on there and I am planning on doing the same thing.

Mike

Mirrors require massaging to fit the contour of the doors. Time and patience is a must.

RSX302
01-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I was cruising through my website (I really need to update it badly :nopity: ) I noticed from the graph I did on the Desktop Dyno 2000 program, the HP is where my injectors are running out at. 550hp @ 5000rpm. Imagine that! I just thought it was intresting at how accurate it was.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

navyflyer72
01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken those are HRE 547 wheels? That is what I was going to use also, if I won the lotto! They look EXCELLENT! Just as I imagined before I went the economic route and got the standard 17" torq thrust's, some day in the future when I mini tub and win the lotto... Love the car, you did the Ford engine, I used a ford paint code. Gotta love the cross-breed pt machines!

-George

RSX302
01-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Actually the wheels are Fikse Profil 5S.

My wife saw the cost of them. Let's just say she is wearing nice earrings now. :hmm:

navyflyer72
01-25-2006, 04:35 AM
I stand corrected, almost the same design, (minus the 3-piece bolts around the edge), cleaner looking. Same sky-high price tag. Looks great!

-George

RSX302
01-25-2006, 09:27 AM
The bolts on the inside is the reason I went with the Fikse'. I've owned a set of 3pc wheels with the bolt on the outside. Damn my finger was tired. What a pain that is.

F70t/a
01-25-2006, 09:29 AM
My wife saw the cost of them. Let's just say she is wearing nice earrings now. :hmm:

lmao :rotfl:

awr68
01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Ron, the car looks great! Been awhile since an update...I guess that's what happens when wrenches are turning!! Keep up the good work, it's almost finished!! :twothumbs

Jim Nilsen
01-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Ron ,you give me inspiration that less is more. Being completely different really adds to it too. Love the 302 stripe and have had the thought of a black hood and stipes like that a couple of times but never knew what it would even start to look like. I say go for the whole Boss stipe and black hood look and let people try to figure it out. I just love it when I see it so far.

Jim Nilsen

mike67cam
01-29-2006, 01:23 PM
I got a chance to see Ron’s 68 as well. It is a beautiful car!!
:worship:
Seeing the wheel/tire package really makes me want to go with some mini-tubs.

Firebat
10-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Mirrors require massaging to fit the contour of the doors. Time and patience is a must.

What do you mean by massaging?

(Anyone can answer, if they want to)

Steve68
10-13-2006, 02:18 AM
Making the mirror base match the contour of the door using, file, grinder,sandpaper, that explain???

ProBell
10-13-2006, 02:42 AM
I love the car and your thinking outside the box design. I to hope to copy the mirrors. Randy

twosaturns
10-13-2006, 07:37 AM
maybe it been covered already, but the injection setup is different from your website info? what led to the change?
btw, great car, I love REAL hybrids (not the jokes the automakers are putting out!)

formula98
10-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Great Lookig Car! I love the colors! 302 Ford who would have thought it possible! Great Job I hope to see it in person some day!

Do you have any pictures of the car with the hood down? I would love to see more pictures as the body pictures are not yet on your web site.

I bet it's a blast to drive.

tonykim
04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
too awesome. I'd love to know more details on the details in getting the base engine installed. I have a 500 hp 347 I'm seriously considering putting in my 78 Firebird.

BirdsThaWord
04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Those are some comfy looking seats!

MrQuick
04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
LOL @ F70T/A's avatar...forgot all about that. Wonder how david's doing?

Hey Ron, did you ever go back to Chevy power?

vince

RSX302
04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Ron, did you ever go back to Chevy power?

vince

Not yet..I'm working on it. It's in fates hand now..LOL

I've checked out some thing and it looks like I can use my Turbo Kit on the LS/L92 heads. :smoke: Ford port width don't ya know!

Once I get the Ford back together, I'll try selling just the long block. much less $ and maybe easier to sell? well see.

Ron S
04-20-2010, 02:22 AM
I really do like the clean lines on the car, and the Ford inspired paint scheme.

Always had a good respect for what the SBF's have done in the fox bodied Mustangs, and assumed most of that was due to the light weight of those cars. Apparently not, they run just as good in a much heavier muscle car,love the different approach.

I'm sure you get the same finger gestures as I do, by the Ford and Chevy purists. Ron

Payton King
04-20-2010, 04:47 AM
back from the dead? have not heard from you in awhile. tried to send you and email but it bounced back.

Wondering what the progress was. Hopefully you will be back up and running soon

Jim Nilsen
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey Ron , since you are not sleeping or hiding and decided to show up I just want to thankyou for the help and support with the dual sync dis. I would have thrown it away without your advice and the reality that you have one that works.

Thanks again and good luck with the turbo!!!

RSX302
04-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I really do like the clean lines on the car, and the Ford inspired paint scheme.

Always had a good respect for what the SBF's have done in the fox bodied Mustangs, and assumed most of that was due to the light weight of those cars. Apparently not, they run just as good in a much heavier muscle car,love the different approach.

I'm sure you get the same finger gestures as I do, by the Ford and Chevy purists. Ron

I don't get the Ford guy's talking much crap. Most enjoy it. The die hard Chevy guy's on the other hand. WOW..:machine:

If I do end up changing over (LS3/L92 Heads) I wondered if I should keep the Boss stripe paint scheme? I like the look of it. Do I update the stripe to RSx ??? Haven't Decided the Cubes yet 379 or 418 (427 would look even cooler) I like the higher revs with the 379's shorter stroke. TBD...It's all an easy 800Hp with 12psi of twins

RSX302
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
back from the dead? have not heard from you in awhile. tried to send you and email but it bounced back.

Wondering what the progress was. Hopefully you will be back up and running soon

Yea..that life/work balance thing--it's lopsided.

Sorry, I changed my email service. I'll PM you with the new address.

RSX302
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Hey Ron , since you are not sleeping or hiding and decided to show up I just want to thankyou for the help and support with the dual sync dis. I would have thrown it away without your advice and the reality that you have one that works.

Thanks again and good luck with the turbo!!!

No problem..Glad to hear all is working well.

Ron S
04-21-2010, 02:14 AM
I don't get the Ford guy's talking much crap. Most enjoy it. The die hard Chevy guy's on the other hand. WOW..:machine:

If I do end up changing over (LS3/L92 Heads) I wondered if I should keep the Boss stripe paint scheme? I like the look of it. Do I update the stripe to RSx ??? Haven't Decided the Cubes yet 379 or 418 (427 would look even cooler) I like the higher revs with the 379's shorter stroke. TBD...It's all an easy 800Hp with 12psi of twins

I don't know if you saw it but a buddy of mine is making 758 HP at the rear wheels out of a 346cid LS1, with twins in a 63 ChevyII

DJW32
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Ron,
What were the under hood temps after your run at Optima? I was wondering if the low mount turbo setup(vs the traditional high mount) would help the under hood temps.

David

RSX302
04-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't know if you saw it but a buddy of mine is making 758 HP at the rear wheels out of a 346cid LS1, with twins in a 63 ChevyII

That's sweet..what boost level?

The Incon turbo system I have is limited to approx 800-840hp unless I change the turbine and housing to the next size up.(900hp) We'll stay with 800hp for now..For the street I think it's more then plenty! for now..LOL

RSX302
04-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Ron,
What were the under hood temps after your run at Optima? I was wondering if the low mount turbo setup(vs the traditional high mount) would help the under hood temps.

David

I think it's more about the thick castings that Incon used with this kit. They have no different under hood heat then that of a normal coated header system. With the Jet Hot coating and thick castings, they runs so cool it's rediculous. Non Issue.

Thick manifold casings are perferred over headers tubing for two reasons that I know of; lower under hood temps and better turbo spooling from less heat loss.

Ron S
04-22-2010, 02:12 AM
That's sweet..what boost level?

The Incon turbo system I have is limited to approx 800-840hp unless I change the turbine and housing to the next size up.(900hp) We'll stay with 800hp for now..For the street I think it's more then plenty! for now..LOL

I beleive he's tried to keep it around 10 on pump gas. Is experimenting higher on race fuel. Ron