PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my 68 Camaro

MadBadger
01-22-2006, 05:42 PM
I finally got a new digital camera and now I finally got around to taking some pictures of my 68 Camaro.

It is definitely a work in progress; the good thing about it right now is that it runs fine and I can drive it around as is. I have got so many ideas from this site that it is somewhat overwhelming when I think about all the things I still need/want to do to the car. I have read the threads about what order to do things, what to do first, etc. so I am trying to plan it out and avoid any major problems.

I have already stripped the whole interior out, when I bought the car it had a leaking heater core, so when I pulled the carpet up I just kind of kept going. I have painted most of the interior with POR-15 too, so in a way I think I am "moving along" on the car.

Right now I think my next major steps are to put subframe connectors and a 6 or 8 point cage in it, then upgrade the suspension with Global West stage three parts. After that I'll work on putting the interior together and getting it painted.

There are so many decisions and I have so many questions, this site is incredible and has helped me out tremendously already. Thank you all for what that I've learned already. I plan on "hanging out" here a lot as the car progresses.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the site, you've got the best year Camaro :).

indyjps
01-22-2006, 10:58 PM
looks like youve got a solid car so youre a step ahead of a lot of us. watch the for slae section theres plenty of stuff available if youre not in a hurry.

Matt
01-23-2006, 01:34 AM
+1 on the best year :)

Very clean looking ride man, I like the white.
What kind of power plant is in it now?

MadBadger
01-23-2006, 08:33 AM
The engine is a 350. It has at least an RV cam if not a little steeper, Hooker headers, Edelbrock carb. and intake. I have one chamber Flowmasters on it now.

I bought the car from an older woman who had won it in an auction, but didn't want it, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of details about what's in the motor. I haven't been able to find the prior owner of the car to ask him about it; I think he is here in town, but I don't know how to get in touch with him.

The engine does have a lot of power, but the car only has an open 10 bolt rear right now, so if I get on it hard, the back end just slides out to the side. I need to upgrade the rear end pretty soon.

With the somewhat-steep cam and the one chamber Flowmasters, the car is really loud and it's got a decently "lopey" idle so I think it sounds pretty cool. I won't start it up early in the morning or late at night though because I don't want to upset the neighbors. A few of my neighbors have race cars and race at the local track, but the other neighbors are retired folks who like to sleep in late and go to bed early......

I haven't done anything to the engine/engine compartment yet, so it doesn't look that great. I really need to get some wire looms or separators, or something to arrange the wires.

When I tear into the front end I want to put a Vintage Air unit in the car and get rid of the factory AC box, the headers have burned a hole through the box anyway. If I would have had the money I would have done this when I had the fender off to replace the heater core; but I didn't have a spare $1,000 at the time.

I'm still not sure what color I'll paint the car when I'm ready to do that. I like the white, but I also think a silver/gray would look good. I would like to paint it the same red as the Red Witch, but my girlfriend hates red cars and they do attract a little more attention than white or gray.

I've got way more ideas than time and money, so it's going to take a while to get the car put together like I really want it. I have wanted a 68 Camaro ever since I was a teenager; and when I saw Mark Stielow's 67 Camaro in the August 1996 edition of Hot Rod, I thought that was just about the perfect car and I wanted one built just like that. It was only in the last year or so that I found this site and got the car, so the things I've learned in the last year are incredible. I was amazed when I saw Mark Stielow post on here about some suspension questions, and then later on I figured out that the guy who now owns the Red Witch posts on here...makes it feel like a "small world" in a sense. I still think the Red Witch is the coolest Camaro I've ever seen (in pictures--I'm sure it's a lot better in person), and I hope eventually my Camaro will be set up that nice.