PDA

View Full Version : Por 15

kamaroman68
01-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Anyone ever try POR 15? Wondering how people liked it compared to other products out there. I tried to paint the inside of a rocker panel this weekend with PPG epoxy primer. It didn't turn out to well. I took it back to the paint store and they were unable to help. I cleaned the inside to bare steel. I sprayed with a paint gun but it didn't stick. It just kept running and forming a pool in the bottom area of the rocker. Another thing is it wouldn't dry. I ended up using a lot of thinner and just removing the product. I am really looking for the ultimate in corrosion protection any body else out there with suggestions as to a specific product would be great. Thanks Chris

hiwayman
01-22-2006, 11:54 AM
hey chris hows that project going my chassis turned up at start of year il post pics if you want to see my progres back to your post yea i use the ppg epoxy its good stuff did you add the hardner ?

hectore3
01-22-2006, 03:15 PM
I used the POR-15 on my solid but rusty floorpan. And it was just like the commericials. Worked extremely nicely. I say go for it.

kamaroman68
01-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Yes, used the hardener waited 1/2 hour after mixing like the instructions said. Garage was 78 degrees metal temp was around 70.5 degrees. I've got actual photographs at work with me that I am going to take to the paint store today. As for progress I am pretty much at a stand still. Chassis sitting on one side of the garage car body on the other. This weekend would have been major progress except for the paint error. Chris

kamaroman68
01-23-2006, 03:46 AM
Hiwayman please do post pictures that would be awesome. Chris

Johnny Blaze
01-23-2006, 06:45 AM
POR 15 works great! I have used it a lot, also POR 20 for my headers.

About the epoxy primer, did you add the Part 2, the Catalyst? Epoxy primers are 2 parts, and they do not need a reducer, or additional hardner.

rohrt
01-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I used it alot. My .02 tips.

Don't put it on smooth/clean metal
Don't run it through a paint gun
Don't use it if you want a realy nice finish

MadBadger
01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
I have painted most of the interior of my Camaro (floors, sides, and roof) with POR-15. I brushed it on, so the finish isn't real nice, but I'm going to put carpet/door panels over it anyway. From everything I've read it is supposed to be great stuff.

I don't have any real experience with other coatings, but from what the instructions with the POR-15 said, preparing the metal properly is absolutely essential. I used their two products to prep the metal (a heavy duty degreaser called Marine Clean and some kind of acid to prepare the metal, I don't remember what it was called).

The only place on the floorboards where the POR-15 has came off is where there was some type of sealant (kind of like caulking I guess), I shouldn't have put the POR-15 on there anyway without preparing the surface properly though. On the metal, it seems to be working great.

I have some pictures of the interior, if you want I can post them.

Jim Nilsen
01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
When using POR15 it is best to remove all of the sealers and putty before and then go back and reapply it. Seam sealer is hard to get anything to stick to it unless it is paintable seam sealer.
Always remember to do both coats everytime also. Only using one heavy coat will cause problems later also.

Jim Nilsen

kamaroman68
01-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up taking my ppg epoxy primer back to the paint store from which I had bought it from. We opened another can of the same stuff off of the store rack and we were surprised to see that it was a lot thicker than the stuff I had purchased. They gave me the new can. Apparently in some situations if the customer does not like the product and is not honest they will bring the product back using thinner to make up the difference in what was used. This is a very rare instance according to the paint shop owner but explains what happened with my paint. I have used ppg epoxy primer in the past and was extremely happy with it and I was too quick in writing my first post about the por 15. Hopefully this weekend the project will be back on and I can stink up the house again. Thanks Chris

BonzoHansen
01-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I used it alot. My .02 tips.

Don't put it on smooth/clean metal
Don't run it through a paint gun
Don't use it if you want a realy nice finishI thought this stuff was ‘self leveling’ and brushed on smooth (or at least cured that way). I was going to use it on my inner fenders & rad support, and maybe firewall (this is a ‘while the motor is out’ spruce up, not a full tilt deal). Bad idea?