PDA

View Full Version : Design software?

stealth71
01-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I want to start designing some parts. Particularly a 3-link rear suspension. What programs do you use for suspension design? Also what do you use for simple things like brackets?

I am no mechanical engineer, actually a software engineer, but I have thought about going back to school for an ME. I want to teach myself the design concepts behind an ME degree, if possible.

Solid Works, Unigraphics....

Thanks,
Mike

sinned
01-22-2006, 10:07 AM
The only 2 programs available that would be any good for that are "Perfromance Trends Suspension Analyzer" and "WinGeo", the later being a more professional program thus requiring a bit more background to understand and properly input data.

2g72
01-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Your best bet would be to purchase an educational liscense of an engineering design software. Solidworks, Pro/E, and Solidedge are all well known programs. Not to discredit you or anything, but before you design anything that could compromise your safety (such as suspension components) I would seek appropriate counsel of a degreed engineer or pursue a degree yourself.

MoeBawlz
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
do you have any experience with autocad or any parametric modeling?

i suggest solid works as its simple enough for you to learn on and its pretty user friendly.