PDA

View Full Version : Body Panels - Original vs Aftermarket

BuddyP
01-19-2006, 12:24 PM
What have you used on your cars and why? How do you feel about the aftermarket vs original panels? I know original is the way to go over aftermarket but the prices (ie: qtr panel $360 vs $1200 for original) are huge in difference. I plan on starting to buy the panels I need, 2 rear quarters and 2 fenders are the largest part of the mix. As of now I plan on using aftermarket unless I can find a couple original front fenders for a good price or good solid used fenders. Car is a '68 Camaro. My biggest concern is rust in the future. Will both types of panels hold up the same if prepped the same?

mikey
01-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Rust shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure you get it all the first time. That is if you buy some used parts that need a litle cleaning up. I'm using all nos on my 69 because it was built in norwood not Taiwan. I also like the ease of fitting it up.Aftermarket sheetmetal fit is a hit and miss. You can pay someone just as much in labor to fit taiwanese as nos would cost you. If you do it yourself all you'd be out is your time. I fully understand the $$$$$ issue thats why mine has been under const. for 17 years.

stewy
02-09-2006, 09:14 PM
The aftermarket camaro quarters are not too bad. The fenders though are another story. If you don't have decent originals as a reference, I'd seek good used ones. If you are having a hard time finding used fenders, give Camaro Specialties here in E. Aurora a call.

hectore3
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Get straight used ones off an actual car. All this "NOS" stuff that many people sell are actually rejects. Yes, thats right. The majority of these pieces was what GM rejected in the 1960's for poor assembly line quality. Believe me I have learned the hard way.

mikey
02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Get straight used ones off an actual car. All this "NOS" stuff that many people sell are actually rejects. Yes, thats right. The majority of these pieces was what GM rejected in the 1960's for poor assembly line quality. Believe me I have learned the hard way.

I tend to believe thats why they're called service parts. Sometimes it takes alot of service to make them fit. If you get my drift.

EFI69Cam
02-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Any experience with the goodmark tailpanel for a 69?

Sparky67
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM

Well, I bought 1967 NOS RS front fenders in the 1980's from GM. Oh, the cost was only $180 a fender. The fit was great compared to what is available from the aftermarket then. Now I did buy NOS quarters for my 1967 Camaro a few years ago. Actually, every bodyman that I interviewed requested that it be GM NOS quarter panels. Almost all said that the fit of the repros was very poor. Oh, I even had the body and the parts acid dipped and e-coated. The parts I can get it done through a company that does work for GM. Their finish is great, it made the fenders look brand new. Oh, my body man retired from GM, and has been doing bodywork on the side for 50 years. He knows that you will still have to put some effort even with NOS sheetmetal, but not as much effort as Taiwan repros.

Jeff