PDA

View Full Version : problem getting into gear TH400

Camaro_Dan
01-19-2006, 04:50 AM
Hi. I have a th400 with manual valve body, and reversed pattern and a B&M holeshot 3000 converter.
When the car is cold, for example, when I start it up for the first time that day, it won't get into gear.

I put it in reverse and nothing happens, I rev a little, still nothing. I change gears back and forth still nothing. Then after a while I feel the car jerking a little when the gear is "grabbed"

If I drive for a while, turn the car off, then starts it again in a short while, it grabbs the gears right away.

What is the problem? The oil level is correct BTW.

Please explain this as if I was a 4year old :-) I don't know that much about transmissions and I live in Sweden so my english skills are not THAT great :-)

Thanks
/Dan

paul67
01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
Possible the oil might be to thick when cold what is the outside temp like as that might not help as well, if poss try and warm the oil up by itself ie put a heat sorce under trans pan till warm then try, if that cures it , I have no idea what to do but it might put you in the right direction , ie its the oil not a box fault.
paul1967

Camaro_Dan
01-19-2006, 04:10 PM
well I only drive it in the summertime, although I live in Sweden it is pretty hot here in come summer. Every one I know uses the same oil for their th350 and th400, and they don't have any problems

Camaro_Dan
01-22-2006, 05:22 AM
I guess not too many of you here use automatic transmissions, but somebody would know something about this, right?

Anyone?

paul67
01-22-2006, 02:53 PM
How do you check your oil level , to me it sound like a valve sticking , is the gear lever selector set right , how olds the oil , I would think about taking the pan off a checking the valve body . But first I would check gear selector , then drain oil and check ,do not through away just case , replace the oil , if prob is still there drain oil and remove and check valve body if that no good , then I would check the convertor, this order has been done for the cheapest and easiest way.
paul67

Camaro_Dan
01-22-2006, 03:00 PM
ok, well, the oil is new, has been changed a few times just last year, with no more then 100miles between changes because of leak. the leak was around the dipstick hole. may that be the problem?
I have heard somewhere that the "governator" or whatever it's called could stick if the transmission have been sitting unused for some time. could it be that I need a new filter, that this one might be cloged? and the oil has a hard time getting through?
the converter is also new, no more then 100miles on it.

paul67
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
The problem auto trans it only take a few bits a few thou size to cause a fault, if youve changed the oil , I think you need to drop the valve body and check it , there was no silver bits in the oil when you change it. Because the oil is warm when it works try this , warm the oil up with out starting the engine, the reason why i;m saying this is if its still does it i would say its a pressure fault not an oil fault if it does fix it then some jamming in the box.
paul67

Camaro_Dan
01-26-2006, 10:03 AM
ok I think I will drop the valvebody to check it. but someone told me that the governator? could be sticking if the transmission had been sitting for awhile, and it really has been sitting for a few years.

Scott N
02-27-2006, 03:41 PM
It sounds to me like the pump is bad.