PDA

View Full Version : Where to find them?

Texas Bob
01-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Is it better to do the mail order route or is there some certain places one can find good shop machines for the garage hobbyist like my self; ie. benders, bandsaws, wheel grinders, etc?

Bob

baz67
01-18-2006, 06:22 PM
www.use-enco.com

parsonsj
01-19-2006, 05:03 AM
Enco sells lots of cheap, Chinese-manufactured tools. I've bought lots of stuff there, and most of their machines are fine for the garage hobbyist ...

jp

indyjps
01-19-2006, 08:29 PM
grizzly tools

Texas Bob
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Any clue on what to start off with? I've got an empty garage, alot of enthusiasm, some college auto courses, and no clue where to begin for a full resto project. I don't even have a tool set as of yet, but what is going to be essiential for getting started?

Bob

Modo Innovations
01-20-2006, 08:08 PM
One of the most inexpesive tools that I would start off with for metal fab is a 4 1/2" angle grinder. You can get metal cut-off wheels for cutting metal, backing pads and sanding discs for sanding/grinding, cup brushes for removing gunk/rust and they even come with a grinding wheel. If you get one of these try to get one with a 5/8"-11 spindle. The accessories for this size are more readily available. I would buy a brand that has bearings on the spindle instead of bushings. The ones that have bearings will last alot longer and are more expesive but well worth it. You should be able to find a good one at Home Depot or Lowes for under $100.

I need to buy another one so I can spend less time changing accessories and more time using the tool.

toxicz28
01-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Any clue on what to start off with?

A good (lifetime warranty) set of hand tools! What good is the fab equipment if you can't take a fender off to repair it. Get something with alot of tools, and its own storage case to start with. Saves the money in having to buy a tool chest to put them in.

edit: I don't want to be accused of being biased
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00935155000 155pc Craftsman $109 (sale ends 1-21-06 reg $149.99)

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=200174-1074-22415&lpage=none 135pc Kobalt set $150

Well, Home Depot's web site sucks so 135pc Husky set $199

Looks like Sears is the winner here, 20 more pieces for $.01 less than Lowes $49 less than Home Depot

derekf
01-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Instead of dropping the coin for a nice set of Craftsman, you might contemplate one of the lifetime-warranty sets from Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply, or one of those. I needed a metric set to work on this LS1 and I've been more than pleased so far with the Kobalt tools I got from Lowes - and I got three socket sets and a combination wrench set for quite a bit less than I would have paid for it at Sears.

Kenova
01-21-2006, 07:41 PM
A sturdy work bench and the biggest bench vice you can carry out of the store. I've solved a lot of problems with this and a BFH :hammer: .
What you need in the way of larger equipment (drill press, welder, bench grinder, compressor, etc.) will depend on what you find yourself doing the most of. I usually try to keep some money put away so that I can buy what I need (or want :naughty: ) when it goes on sale.
JP is right, the cheaper Chinese stuff is usually good enough for the home workshop. But if I were trying to make a living at this sort of thing, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole :poke: .
Ken

indyjps
01-22-2006, 05:19 AM
i agree the grinder with a good assortment of wheels is your best friend and still one of my favorite tools ive got a makita and a dewalt. seems like sears sets get cheaper the more tools you get if that makes sense. you really only need to buy one of their sets since they always throw in 1/4 crap. ive got a box of 1/4 that never gets used. nice to have a set of chinese wrenches around to bend up and cut in half to get to hard to reach things. buy a good coil spring compressor. buy the biggest air compressor you can afford if youre doing body work, you can generally get good deals if you watch the local papers.

6'9"Witha69
01-23-2006, 01:17 PM
nice to have a set of chinese wrenches around to bend up and cut in half to get to hard to reach things.
Definitely the best use they get put to.

Matt@RFR
01-23-2006, 01:34 PM
www.use-enco.com

My favorite sig line from cc.com:

"Everything from Enco turns into a hammer in two years."

If you want the best angle grinder, buy a Metabo.

On Edit: I confused Enco with Harbor Freight. Close enough.

Ralph LoGrasso
01-23-2006, 01:57 PM

I'll second that. I love my Metabo, second to none in quality.

toxicz28
01-23-2006, 04:17 PM

I'll third that!!! I've had my 2 Metabo's for about 15 years, and they're still going strong!

Texas Bob
01-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys. These are all great suggestions and I'll head out and start outfitting the garage. Really appreciate it.

Bob

Texas Bob
01-24-2006, 12:40 PM
A good (lifetime warranty) set of hand tools! What good is the fab equipment if you can't take a fender off to repair it. Get something with alot of tools, and its own storage case to start with. Saves the money in having to buy a tool chest to put them in.

edit: I don't want to be accused of being biased
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00935155000 155pc Craftsman $109 (sale ends 1-21-06 reg $149.99)

Jumped on it. Got a 7 piece T-handled hex key set free with the purchase. Total plus tax = $118