01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Any ideas for a home-made brake?

CAMAROBOY69
01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
I used a 5lb hammer and my girlfriend 67 mustang sub frame last night. :lmao:
One of these days I will at least buy a vise. :wedgie:

baz67
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
"The Racer's Guide to Fabicating Shop Equiment" by John Block. I have a copy, it has plans that you will need. JP built his brake from them. It works well enough.

wendell
01-19-2006, 02:53 PM
JP turned me on that book a while ago. Very cool read. The day before I was going to start building a brake, some one gave me a 56 inch National. That was a good day.

parsonsj
01-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah, that brake is definitely ghetto. But it'll bend 48" of 16g steel. I made my floor, my fuel tanks, and my inner fenderwells with it. If you can get a good professional brake, get it. If you want to spend the money elsewhere, that one is definitely servicable.

jp

Damn True
01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah, that brake is definitely ghetto. But it'll bend 48" of 16g steel. I made my floor, my fuel tanks, and my inner fenderwells with it. If you can get a good professional brake, get it. If you want to spend the money elsewhere, that one is definitely servicable.

jp

Would you happen to have a photo of that rig?

Saving money for some $800 diamond encrusted lug nuts. (billet hood hinge joke)

parsonsj
01-20-2006, 10:31 AM
True,
I think I do at home. I'll look around later.

jp

CAMAROBOY69
01-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I would also appreciate a picture of this rig. A sheetmetal brake would be like my best friend. Even if it was a ghetto one. Gotta be better than a 5# hammer on a Mustang frame.

Damn True
01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I can think of worse things to do to a Mustang.

parsonsj
01-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Here's a pic of the brake, behind the hand tools and shrinker/stretcher.

jp

BB69
01-20-2006, 12:10 PM
I know it's not homemade, but I have the combination shear, brake, roller machine from Harbor Freight. I got the 30" model first, and it broke. When I say broke, the cast iron split in half. This MAY have been caused by us trying to bend something a little too thick. I say MAY seriously, because the material wasn't very long. I think the casting may have also had some problems. Anyway, they replaced it, and at the same time I upgraded to the 40" model. It works very well for shearing, bending, and rolling sheetmetal (to 18 gauge). I have only made a few things, and I can't believe how much easier fabrication is with this. The 40" model can be had for $400 when it's on sale. Just another option to consider.

Ken

CAMAROBOY69
01-20-2006, 12:17 PM

jp
Thanks for sharing the pic JP. The Shrinker/stretcher would even be a great investment. I really need to start buying some of these goodies. It would save me soo much time and make life a lot easier.
Even those little $60.00 press machines would be a good investment. They just use a jack but they could press U joints and with some creativity they coudl bend metal too.
I like that pic of the brake.
Ken,
$400 doesnt seem bad at all for the 40" to sheer bend and roll metal. I would need a bigger garage.

Norwoodx55
01-21-2006, 09:37 AM

jp

I see your barrel grip Bosch jig saw in there too. Sweet tool.
Brett

BB69
01-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for sharing the pic JP. The Shrinker/stretcher would even be a great investment. I really need to start buying some of these goodies. It would save me soo much time and make life a lot easier.
Even those little $60.00 press machines would be a good investment. They just use a jack but they could press U joints and with some creativity they coudl bend metal too.
I like that pic of the brake.
Ken,
$400 doesnt seem bad at all for the 40" to sheer bend and roll metal. I would need a bigger garage.

I can't wait for the day when I don't need a bigger garage. Of course, that will probably mean I'm dead.

The price for the machine really isn't too bad, especially when you realize it weighs 400 pounds. That's only a $1 a pound. To be able to make nice straight cuts and bends is so nice. If you play with the rollers, you can make cones as well. I don't use it much, but when I do it's worth the space it takes up.

Ken

stealth71
01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
John - Can you scan the brake plans and post them or email them to me? I can't find a copy of the book to buy.

What kind of bead roller is that? Does it get the job done?

Thanks,
Mike

parsonsj
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Mike,

I'll see if the book is easily scanned. But have you tried Amazon? I think the cost was less than $15.

The bead roller is a $90 Harbor Freight cheapie. It works fine for what I need: floor and other hidden panels that need strengthening. If you want the best, check out Mittler Brothers. They make amazing stuff.

jp

Camaro Zach
01-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I bought that cheap harbor frieght unit as well but was not impressed so i *modified it* https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12364

I have a sheetmetal brake, its 36" wide i think and is rated at 16ga. but i would only do about half that with 16, 18 ga is a walk in the park though. If you want i can make some detailed drawings and get alot of pics of it. you can kind of see it in the attached photo

stealth71
01-25-2006, 05:17 AM
I looked for the book on amazon, but it says that there is possibly a 3-5 week wait for it. I just ordered about every suspension book they have. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to build a brake to keep cost down. My budget isn't very large and I have a synchrowave 200 in mind. I think if I get a TIG, sheet metal brake, tubing bender, and bead roller I should be able to do my rear suspension. Well I also need to read a lot. I am fairly new at suspension design.

BADVELLE
01-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I bought that cheap harbor frieght unit as well but was not impressed so i *modified it* https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12364

I have a sheetmetal brake, its 36" wide i think and is rated at 16ga. but i would only do about half that with 16, 18 ga is a walk in the park though. If you want i can make some detailed drawings and get alot of pics of it. you can kind of see it in the attached photo

Holy poop Batman and I thought I had no room!

Camaro Zach
01-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Holy poop Batman and I thought I had no room!
you should see it now.. 2 mig welders, plasma, 80 gal. compressor, Tig Welder, torch and much much more

BADVELLE
01-26-2006, 03:44 PM
you should see it now.. 2 mig welders, plasma, 80 gal. compressor, Tig Welder, torch and much much more

At least you have all the right tools, keep up the good work! I love to see build scenes like yours, makes you appreciate the hobby that much more. Take care!

BADVELLE
01-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I looked for the book on amazon, but it says that there is possibly a 3-5 week wait for it. I just ordered about every suspension book they have. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to build a brake to keep cost down. My budget isn't very large and I have a synchrowave 200 in mind. I think if I get a TIG, sheet metal brake, tubing bender, and bead roller I should be able to do my rear suspension. Well I also need to read a lot. I am fairly new at suspension design.

Go to speedwaymotors.com, $15.

parsonsj
01-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Let me know if speedwaymotors doesn't work, and I'll scan something up.

jp

homerneedspeed
01-26-2006, 09:01 PM
it would be great if you could scan it, i could use the plans also

stealth71
01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Well I looked at sppedway and they have it but the book is $15 + $2 for not having a $20 order + $7.50 for shipping = $25. If you could scan it easily I would appreciate it, but I will order it if that is too much hassle for you.

Thanks Mike

CAMAROBOY69
01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
JP,
I would be willing to slip you a couple bucks thru paypal for a scan of the plans for the sheetmetal break.

Off-topic
JP I like your new avatar. Any bigger pics or a thread you can link me to that has those pics?

parsonsj
01-27-2006, 01:18 PM
OK, let me know if this resolution is useful. There are 7 pages total for the plans ... but before I upload them all, let's see if anybody can read it.

Or maybe it is better if I send copies via snail mail ... lemme know ...

jp

Damn True
01-27-2006, 02:46 PM
yeah, perfectly readable

BADVELLE
01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Crystal clear!

stealth71
01-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Yeah it looks good. Thanks for your help John. Is this book really worth the trouble of buying? Are there any other good plans in it?

Mike

CAMAROBOY69
01-30-2006, 05:01 AM
JP,
Very legible. You have a PM.

parsonsj
01-30-2006, 05:25 AM
OK, guys, I'm off to work this morning. I'll get these scans up later today.

jp

Rubes
01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Any ideas for a home-made brake?
Found these recently
Break (http://home.gci.net/~birdman/plans/SheetMetalBendingPlans.pdf)

stealth71
01-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks Rubes. Does anyone know what this brake will handle? 16ga?

John - Are these similar to the plans you have?

Rubes
01-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry I haven't had any experience with that device. It should be able to handle 16ga...if not I would think that some stiffening of the "bending" angle with some 2" square tubing should help. I think that would also depend on how wide you make it.

Rubes

parsonsj
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
here's the first 4 pages. Remaining 3 are in the next post.

jp

parsonsj
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
The pdf plans look nice too, and definitely easier to read.

I'd say the plans I have are more heavy duty, since the bending force is translated on the edge of the angle iron rather than along it's face. My plans are spring loaded so that releasing the bending arm also moves the "holder" away for easy load and unload.

I do like the hinge setup on the pdf plans.

Look 'em both over and use the ones you like best.

jp

BADVELLE
01-30-2006, 01:46 PM
They look great, thanks for taking the time John! :kewlpics: :kewlpics: :kewlpics: :kewlpics: :kewlpics:

stealth71
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks John. Much appreciated.

I struck my first TIG welds tonight so I'm on my way. Also picked up some reading materials including Milliken's - Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, I have plenty more learning to do before I tackle my 3-link. :)

JoshStratton
02-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Do any of you kids know how well this one works?

Harbor Freight Brake (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91012)

I dont feel like spending the time fabricating anymore tools right now. I am wore out. :(

I just need it to bend some small lips and mild steel about 18 gauge.

JoshStratton
02-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Since I didnt get any responses I went ahead and got it. Besides the fact that the maximum piece of metal you can put in it is 36" and it was missing a bolt for the stand mount, it seems to be decent for the price. Time will tell, but so far so good.

Rick Dorion
02-23-2006, 06:16 AM
That looks good. Got any scraps to try out and post back?