PDA

View Full Version : New camaro, challenger and mustang on the track?

vanzuuk1
01-16-2006, 06:45 PM
If the the challenger and camaro get produced, will we see them on the track together with the mustang? There is no modern trans am series (scca dropped it) so which pro class would they be in?

A front engined/ rear wheel drive series would be great to watch, dont think it will happen unless they fall into an existing set of classes.

MSchu
01-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Speed World Challenge, Grand-Am Cup, and Rolex are a few that come to mind. It'll be interesting to see if Chevy/GM and Dodge/D-C go road racing and push it as hard as Ford has with the new Mustang. It'd be fun to watch if nothing else.

wantahertzdonut
01-17-2006, 09:06 AM
No more Trans Am? I haven't been paying much attention...

I agree with MSchu though, Speed World Challenge if nothing else. I don't think they would qualify for the Speed GT series. I saw a GTO competing last year in what I believe was the SWC. I'll have to check my pictures at home.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
American LeMans series GT2 perhaps?
With the forward intel provided from the Vette in GT1 I think they'd have an awfully nice head start over Ford and DC. It would play nicely into the overall brand positioning of the Camaro vs Vette as well by having the Vette in GT1 and the Camaro in GT2.

JLM
01-17-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't know if Ford has plans for any FR500C's to be in the American LaMans series. The new mustangs are tearing up the field in teh rolex cup though. Ford did it right with hte new 3 link rear.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 09:59 AM
That does seem like a good fit, but at least in the case of the Laguna Seca races....not that many people are going to see those races. Perhaps if the big three all threw their hats in the ring that might change. The Caddy and GTO got their keisters handed to them this year. Though Caddy was saddled with a HUGE weight penalty.

American LeMans and the Rolex series really ought to join forces. Fragmenting similar racing series never works out good for either group. (See CART/IRL)

olds87
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
It would be interesting to see the camaro back on the race track. Put the car in grand am series

Ralph LoGrasso
01-17-2006, 10:42 AM
The chally's going to need to shed a lot of weight to be competitive.

DeepBlue68
01-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Does anyone else think that the Camaro would have one hell of a time with the Porsches in the GT2 class? For some reason I don't see the Camaro being a real contender there. I guess it's not really fair to say that though until we see what they can do once (if) they're produced.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Right now, the class of the class is:
Porsche - 3180lbs 470hp
M3 - 3052lbs 360hp

CTS-V - 3850lbs 400hp
GTO - 3735lbs 400hp
Right now, GM is definitely off the back.
But....A little evolution in terms of weight and hp and the Camaro could be a player in GT2

Rather than trying to save 800lbs on the car, they ought to concentrate on saving 4oz on 200 individual parts of the car.

A lot easier to do.

trapin
01-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Well now. Sounds like they need to bring BACK the Trans-Am series.

Damn True
01-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Gentilozzi was paying for that thing pretty much out of pocket.

Rolex Grand-Am, Speed, NASA, SCCA and American LeMans need to get together and reverse their collective cranio-rectal inversion or they will fragment themselves into non-existance.

Split the pie too many ways and nobody gets desert.

vanzuuk1
01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I forgot the gto and caddy , I would love to see al the american cars bangin' fenders.