PDA

View Full Version : Late F body (LS1) rear disc on 1st gen F body

69Myway
09-27-2004, 05:10 AM
So far so good. I had a 9" axle built for my 69 Camaro. It is fitted with the late 4th gen F body disc. We transplanted the outer hub portion INCLUDING the e-brake/drum configuration. I cut down and welded the ebrake cable mount to the lower rear leaf spring mount. It is a perfect fit. The ebrake cable then loops up over the spring and around BACK TO THE ORIGINAL 69 ebrake cable mounts on the frame rail. I am thrilled with how well that worked for super low dollars.

Just wanted to give you guys the 411 on that incase you came across a late 4th gen axle and were not sure if you could get the ebrake portion working (note, the earlier models had the ebrake built into the caliper).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/LS1_rear_brakeJPG-1.jpg

jannes_z-28
09-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Nice job, do you have more pics?

BTW, you have tu put something under the car, your dog looks pretty tired holding the car on his back :LOL

Jan

airrj1
09-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Chris,

Do you have any photos of the E-brake mechinism? I would like to see what that looks like. A shot of the e-brake shoe area would be great.

And good shot of you Beagle. I am planning to get a new Beagle in the next week or two. That photo was just another reminder to find one. :)

blazer4corners
09-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Poor dog gotta do all that back braking work.nice work on the brakes,thats are next project after we refine the fronts for the g-bodies to sell

69Myway
09-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Nice job, do you have more pics?

BTW, you have tu put something under the car, your dog looks pretty tired holding the car on his back :LOL

Jan
I am going to pull the whole axle out soon to do the finish work on it and paint. I will get some excellent photos for you then.

Yep...those dogs are insane.

Hurricane Jeanne was passing over and it was wicked crazy outside. The dogs did not want to be alone and as long as I had power I figured I would work on the car.

69Myway
09-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Does this picture help? You can see the pull at the bottom of the assembly for the ebrake. The cables loop back and around instead of going straight forward. There is ample cable length to do the trick.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/ebrake_connectionJPG-1.jpg

Little Bill
09-29-2004, 04:18 AM
Chris- Looks like you have a fiberglass rear spring on the back of the Camaro- How does it work? Advantages?
thanks,

yody
09-29-2004, 10:16 AM
I too did the late 4th gen. But did it easier. i used to left hand side assemblies, i then on one of the brackets took out the ebrake lever and turned it around in the backing assembly so it will pull from the front also, the only disadvantage to this, is that you can't use the self adjuster on teh ebrake drum. but i don't think it will become all that loose, and if it does i can adjust a little more tension into the ebrake under the car. Super easy!

69Myway
09-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Chris- Looks like you have a fiberglass rear spring on the back of the Camaro- How does it work? Advantages?
thanks,
I don't know yet. Vette Brakes worked close with my on my 69 Vette. In fact they use it in their new advertisements. However, I have no experience with the Camaro parts. I have their front and rear sway bar and springs.

Little Bill
10-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Thanks, Chris, I have seen Killer and followed the build up on the Corvette forum. What size sway bars are you using w/ the Camaro? 1" front 7/8 on rear?